Oblivion Keep Crashing on Startup... HELP

FoxeltheFox

It's been like this for a couple months. It started after I uninstalled all my mods for a clean slate and then got rid of the Oblivion file in Steam so everything would be new. Guess something went wrong and now it crashes on start up. Shows a loading screen, the bar moves an inch, and then crashes to desktop. A notable detail is that the Oblivion.ini doesn't get created, and no matter what I do, if I uninstall it, get rid of all the files, reinstall it, nothing fixes it.

I shortened the story, but if you want the full length novel of events I'll be willing to provide if it helps come to an answer. Any help is appreciated, I am desperate. Thanks!

I got the feeling that your computers registry is pointing else where than it should. You could open RegEdit and make a search for Oblivion under the HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Bethesda or HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\WOW6432Node and also under HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\GOG.com and maybe even under HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Steam if Steam creates keys there. Look at the pathes...

Another thing that crossed my mind is: Does not Steam have any support for their games?

You could also try to get a pure GOG version of the game really and screw Steam.

I got the feeling that your computers registry is pointing else where than it should. You could open RegEdit and make a search for Oblivion under the HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Bethesda or HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\WOW6432Node and also under HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\GOG.com and maybe even under HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Steam if Steam creates keys there. Look at the pathes...

Another thing that crossed my mind is: Does not Steam have any support for their games?

You could also try to get a pure GOG version of the game really and screw Steam.

Sorry I'm a total newbie when it comes to modding or any sort of fancy file managing. What would I be looking and what does it mean for the computer's registry to be "pointing else where than it should"? I've tried repairing the game several times and it's weird because I've done this in the past way before when Vortex broke my game and it worked fine then. This time around I had enough of feeling like Vortex wasn't handling things so I wanted to switch to Wyre Bash but then this happened... And sadly my laptop doesn't have a disc reader.

Well the registry is where all info your computer is using is stored like pathes to files etc. Reread my message again and run regedit and you will see.

Best modmanager for Oblivion is Wrye Bash if you ask me and make the Bash Patch as that always fix things to the better. Sometimes you also need OBMM

Well the registry is where all info your computer is using is stored like pathes to files etc. Reread my message again and run regedit and you will see.

Best modmanager for Oblivion is Wrye Bash if you ask me and make the Bash Patch as that always fix things to the better. Sometimes you also need OBMM

It's kind of funny how I was actually trying to switch over to using the two before all this went down the drain. I sorta get what you're saying, so the registry is like a hub then. I'll see what I can do with regedit when I'm free and put the end result here, whatever that may be.