Is it possible to attach mesh to a character or an equipment slot without it being and equipment?

MaxYari

Essentially I was thinking of making a knuckles mesh that will be used in hand to hand combat just for visuals. But Ideally i want this to be overlayed over gloves so using gloves or ring (since gloves hide rings) equipment will not fly I guess. Any way to achieve that, or that's the limit modding capabilities here?

Thanks in advance and have a good day!

Edited by SinnerSmile

It has been a very long time since I last used the mod (so I could be using one of my faulty memory chips here) but I think that Jovs Mages Gloves showed rings while wearing gloves (either that or I tinkered in the CS to achieve that by flipping the Hide Rings ... though a quick and cursory peek in the CS leads me to think it shows rings while wearing the gloves).

My point is that there is a vanilla game toggle for showing/hiding rings so in my mind if your brass knuckles NIF is such that it will be properly seen while used at the same time as let's say the leather gauntlets if your brass knuckles occupied the ring slot and the leather gauntlets were changed to toggle off Hide Rings you'd have your cake and could eat it too. Unequip the brass knuckles and you have a pair of leather gaunlets showing. The downside is that if you then equipped a regular ring it may show through the leather gauntlets.

It has been a very long time since I last used the mod (so I could be using one of my faulty memory chips here) but I think that Jovs Mages Gloves showed rings while wearing gloves (either that or I tinkered in the CS to achieve that by flipping the Hide Rings ... though a quick and cursory peek in the CS leads me to think it shows rings while wearing the gloves).

My point is that there is a vanilla game toggle for showing/hiding rings so in my mind if your brass knuckles NIF is such that it will be properly seen while used at the same time as let's say the leather gauntlets if your brass knuckles occupied the ring slot and the leather gauntlets were changed to toggle off Hide Rings you'd have your cake and could eat it too. Unequip the brass knuckles and you have a pair of leather gaunlets showing. The downside is that if you then equipped a regular ring it may show through the leather gauntlets.

Thanks, you know what, actually this solution might not be as bad as i thought at first, I can actually use `SetHidesRings` dynamically whenever knuckle ring is equipped, gotta try it, not sure how glitchy will it look

Edited by SinnerSmile

What you can try to do is to mix a pair of gloves with rings in Nifskope for the visuals.

Sry not quite sure what do you mean, like I can after making custom mesh somehow properly align it in the nifscope instead of first exporting glove, making mesh and aligning? Or you meant something completely different?

In Oblivion no equipment item will ever be rendered on the body, if it does not occupy a slot.

But when you look into using modded equipment, there'll be many rather unusual items which aren't rings per se but for several reasons occupy the ring slots.

With those items in mind it quickly became a necessity to always have the respective option in the Bashed Patch checked so everything "hiding" rings no longer will.

In Oblivion no equipment item will ever be rendered on the body, if it does not occupy a slot.

But when you look into using modded equipment, there'll be many rather unusual items which aren't rings per se but for several reasons occupy the ring slots.

With those items in mind it quickly became a necessity to always have the respective option in the Bashed Patch checked so everything "hiding" rings no longer will.

Hm, is it possible to create an equipment item that only visually occupy ring slot but will not occupy it (or any other) logically, i.e so you still can have 2 rings AND that item?

That is more or less what I meant really, making the rings visible only by mixing a pair of gloves with a ring mesh in Nifskope, inserting them into the glove mesh. I did send you the link to NifSkope so I guess you already installed and looked into it? Otherwise do that.

1. Load a pair of gloves and not the grnd mesh for sure.
  2. Open another window with Nifskope and load a ring into it, a simple silver ring for test.
  3. Mark the NiTriStrips or NiTriShape of the ring, one in a time if there is more then one? If it has a jewel than it should be 2 so start simple with a pure silver ring that only have 1 for testing.
  4. Right click at the NiTriShape or NiTriStrip and click Block / Copy Branch in the pop up menu
  5. Go to the other window with the gloves, and paste the branch at the Ninode, at the top, no where else and see if it turns up at the right place.

Some meshes use either NiTriShapes and some NiTriStrips, never both at the same time for but the visual mesh is one of those 2 types.

Edited by Pellape

That is more or less what I meant really, making the rings visible only by mixing a pair of gloves with a ring mesh in Nifskope, inserting them into the glove mesh. I did send you the link to NifSkope so I guess you already installed and looked into it? Otherwise do that.

1. Load a pair of gloves and not the grnd mesh for sure.
  2. Open another window with Nifskope and load a ring into it, a simple silver ring for test.
  3. Mark the NiTriStrips or NiTriShape of the ring, one in a time if there is more then one? If it has a jewel than it should be 2 so start simple with a pure silver ring that only have 1 for testing.
  4. Right click at the NiTriShape or NiTriStrip and click Block / Copy Branch in the pop up menu
  5. Go to the other window with the gloves, and paste the branch at the Ninode, at the top, no where else and see if it turns up at the right place.

Some meshes use either NiTriShapes and some NiTriStrips, never both at the same time for but the visual mesh is one of those 2 types.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I previously was using NifSkope only as a preview tool, had no idea that you can actually copy and merge meshes in it, if i'll ever get to doing those knuckles - I'll def try it.

Edited by SinnerSmile

Hm, is it possible to create an equipment item that only visually occupy ring slot but will not occupy it (or any other) logically, i.e so you still can have 2 rings AND that item?

The opposite works. An endless number of items can be worn without occupying a slot. But that also means none of them are rendered and can be seen.

You cannot, however, get anything visual without it occupying one of the limited number of slots.