[WIP] rAWR - Asjure's Werewolves Redone

Asjure

Download Link!

Far from finished, but I went ahead and made what I've done so far available for everyone who's been waiting to download it. Sorry for the wait guys! ):

>> Here you go! <<

Intro.

From the moment I first heard Skyrim was bringing back werewolves, I was thrilled. I always thought they were one of the greatest things about Morrowind and couldn't wait for their return. But when Skyrim released and my character eventually became one, I could not help but deflate and feel letdown and disappointed. I remembered how feral and wolf-like the Morrowind lycanthropes of old were, and looking at what happened to them in Skyrim, well... IMO, they just don't look very much like the way a werewolf should. I'm sure Beth meant for them to be more like a balanced human-canine cross. But their approach, again IMO, made the overall result look like a more feral 1940s Wolfman suffering from a bad case of mange. And while there are already some very nice werewolf mods out there, none of them change enough to my liking. That includes the ones that add female werewolves to the game - they still use the same head and body, just with boobs and hips added in. It's just not the same.

What with getting back into Skyrim recently, I finally decided to do something about it.

Features.

Go big or go home, I guess. Ideally, my ultimate goal will be to redo the following:

• Rework the overall form into something unmistakably wolflike and feral, rather similar to this or this. (Images from here.)
  • Create new textures, probably in a variety of fur and eye colors.
  • Overhaul the animations. I feel that there is a lot of room for it to move more bestially, and some animations, such as the jump, look kind of silly to me.
  • Include a female version as well.

Screens.

View all the images I've uploaded so far:

>> Archive <<

Click to see the full size! (I'm in the process of redoing all my Skyrim mods, so what you see below is without any kind of ENB, lighting enhancement, etc.)

http://i.imgur.com/5syucvVl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OI3GyFYl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UaOuf1Xl.jpg

And here's a comparison screenshot I found off of Flickr.

http://i.imgur.com/6gHxWc1l.jpg

Changelog.

[5.31.2013] v0.2 - More or less have the mesh in the shape that I want. Total changes so far include face, leg, and tail alterations. Started playing with eye, mouth, and face textures.
[5.27.2013] v0.1 - Began working on making a better werewolf head and feet. Figured out how to get the dang thing into Skyrim correctly without random bits floating around.

Misc.

So anywho, this will be the thread that I will update my progress in. Any and all comments, suggestions, critiques, and whatever other feedback are welcomed and encouraged!

Edited by Asjure

Updated with some new screenshots. More mesh tweaks, a quick and dirty temporary head texture replacer, as well as a quick normal map test. Also started redoing the eyes (with glow maps added) and played around with the teeth texture. Gums and tongue are currently maybe a bit too pink in game, so I'll probably tone that down at some point.

I'm considering taking this thing into ZBrush to have a proper go at redoing the normal maps. I'm currently using a normal map plugin for Photoshop, but it's just not going to produce nearly the same result. I'm also thinking I my end up redoing the alphas on the fur planes considerably.

Here's an old screenshot for progress following purposes. This is before any texture tweaking, just mesh moving.

Click to see the full size!

http://i.imgur.com/9G2eza1l.jpg

See the rest of the screenshots here!

Edited by Asjure

Looks really good!

I like the more "Wolfy" look.
But indeed, textures need some love.

I like the werewolf already quite much, but the color schemes are a bit weird. Monster mod is (in my opinion) only mod that has some nice variations for werewolf colors. (reddish fur, dark grey skin, for example, so it's not completely grey nor red)

Looking forward to this one!

Thanks guys! :biggrin:

@Shadowjin - Oh yeah, I came across the werepanther from that mod. Didn't realize it had werewolves too, lol. Seems like it adds all kinds of crazy things actually. And yeah, definitely. The recolors I've seen either keep the half-skin half-fur thing going or else make the entire texture one solid color of fur. I'm thinking however many textures I end up doing will be based off of real wolf colors, so they would have the kind of variation you'd expect to see on their coats IRL. (: And will hopefully look less wonky than what I've currently slopped together, haha. Glad you like it so far!

Edited by Asjure

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I haven't seen that one before. It's kind of similar, but the screenshots kind of make me feel like I'm looking at a strangely bloated bear. xD I think because the model was scaled up but not around the joints, so the limbs end up looking kind of weirdly puffy with sharp edges around places like the shoulders/elbows/etc. At least IMO. Thanks for pointing it out though, it's good to see the original mesh can be edited that much and still seem to work just fine in-game.

• 2 months later...