Immersion - Ideas & Requests

XImen1994

Quick introduction:
Hi, my name is Simen Margido Grongstad and here are some of my ideas for skyrim mods that I don't have experience or time to make myself. I would if I could gather a small team, and these are additions I've been wanting the Skyrim mod variety to have for a long time. I apologize for my terrible grammar, and I hope you can ignore it.

Variety of different ships in Ports:
What I've been lingering to see for a long while in Skyrim is a larger variety of ships.
I remember back in the days when the Oblivion modding community stood at it strongest there were a couple of mods that mades the ports and docks of skyrim greater, and with a larger variety of different ships.
What I think would be awesome to do would be to add a larger variety, take for example the ship meshes from Oblivion and retexture them. Place them along the different ports in skyrim to give a immersive feel that Skyrim actually is trading with the outside world, examples on mods that did this in Oblivion is:
http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/15648/?tab=3&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fuser%3D0%26id%3D15648 - Mr_Siikas better Ports by mr_siika

Variation in the crafting stations:
Another thing I've wanted for a long while in Skyrim is some variation in the crafting stations, mainly just how it looks.
And solution to this would be to find all the places the Alchemy / Enchanting table stations are, and then replace them by different models befitting. An example on how this could work is, instead of that usualy boring Alchemy station you could have a normal table, with a alembic, mortar, and possibly some vials. It would work just like any other alchemy station, but it would look different and create a larger variety. Because currently it looks like the enchanting tables / alchemy stations are mass produced in a factory, something I find odd in a medieval fantasy game.

Banks & Vaults / Treasuries in major cities:

This mod would add simple banks / treasuries to the major cities of skyrim. They would have such features as the possibility of taking loans, storing gold (with interest), (or buying property?)

Another feature that this would bring would be the possiblity to steal from the treasuries / banks / vaults and it would serve as a ''end-game'' feature for thieves, they would contain complex security (several guards with several keys to unlock doors, a lot of guards in-general) there should also be different ways to get into the treasuries to get the rewards. (Hidden entrances, lockpicking, keys, you name it)

Examples:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30599/?tab=3&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fuser%3D0%26id%3D30599

Alchemy Clutter Resource by Blary

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/30605/?tab=3&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fuser%3D0%26id%3D30605

Ingredients in a Jar by Blary

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34847/?tab=3&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fuser%3D0%26id%3D34847

BadGremlins Alchemy Table by badgremlin

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15275/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D15275&pUp=1

Bank of Markarth by harkahoodlum

Extra:
I've also got two images from the mod: Fishers Folly by mellowtraumatic, to show some examples how he worked it out in his housing mod.
http://imageshack.us/f/43/alchemyy.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/a/img402/8576/enchantingstation.jpg

UPDATE - 18.08.2013

Modular Crafting Table by Tueffel

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/36499/?tab=3&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fuser%3D0%26id%3D36499

UPDATE - 19.08.2013

Bank of Markarth by harkahoodlum

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15275/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D15275&pUp=1

TL;DR:
I've got some requests for mods to improve immersion, and I've coupled up links to resources and refrence mods.

If anyone knows of such mods that already exist that aren't listed, please reply and provide a link.

Edited by XImen1994

Your ideas are quite good actually and I could not agree more.

I find the ships of Skyrim a bit boring, to be honest, and it would be nice to see some variation, and yes, especially considering that Skyrim is in fact trading with other regions.

When it comes to the alchemy/enchanting stations, I again feel the crave for more variation. So far, the best variation of, for example alchemy stations, is the different types of ingredients that lies around on the table.

Bottom line; I really think if you or someone else could make this it would be a great addition to the mods that I like to call "The must have mods".

Keep on working with this idea.

I agree with the variety, and while it wouldn't be that hard to create the new crafting stations once the models were made (animations permitting) as I understand it the models from Oblivion aren't directly compatible with the Skyrim nifskope, so the boats would be harder than it seems. I'm not sure how hard the translation process is since I don't do meshes... Maybe it's not as tedious as completely rebuilding them, at least.

@Aneyo

Thanks for the positive feedback.

@AnkhAscendant

Well, I'm not aware on how the process is done either hence why I come here, but as you said completely rebuilding them might be an option. And seeing that the modeler will have some very good refrence images, and well models to work after it can't be all that hard (I imagine) but I won't jump to conclusions saying that it's all-around easy.

• 2 months later...

I hate reviving an old topic, but I semi-sort of finished my own alchemical cauldron. It uses the stirring animations and assets from Dawnguard, but you don't have to use the invisible pot or anything like that. Would this be something you're interested in?

Edit: The only problem with this though is that the mod would have to require Dawnguard, which is why I haven't released it due to that fact. Mainly because I don't want to release meshes that are dependent on DLC without a plugin. I've thought of a lot of things the same as this. I'll help where I can if need be! :D

Edited by pheo3309

I hate reviving an old topic, but I semi-sort of finished my own alchemical cauldron. It uses the stirring animations and assets from Dawnguard, but you don't have to use the invisible pot or anything like that. Would this be something you're interested in?

Edit: The only problem with this though is that the mod would have to require Dawnguard, which is why I haven't released it due to that fact. Mainly because I don't want to release meshes that are dependent on DLC without a plugin. I've thought of a lot of things the same as this. I'll help where I can if need be! :D

That seems fairly interesting yeah :D

Never thought someone would breathe life into this topic after such a long time :>

I go topic hunting for ideas and what not and this one popped up during one of my searches for immersive things. I made ingredient jars that are much like the resources that Blary did, but I went ahead and did the 109 references (Salmon Roe I ended up leaving out mostly due to how small, tedious, and consuming it got) and decided that I'd take a gander at other things that I wanted to see. So that was how the birth of that cauldron happened after seeing Blary make one, I decided to make one that I was happy with, that was animated, and that would make the room pop so to speak.

I think this topic is a very much needed thing in the modding community, and one that should be more active. In my opinion people are more concerned about how their character looks more than how they play. I think so far that the potential of the community is fair, but I think that it's potential could be expanded further since there's so many aspects that have been briefly touched on or they cut some corners.

I've been picking other modder's brains about things like giving certain systems an overhaul or giving something a revamp. Though all of my stuff so far is completely just models (other than spells I've worked on). After I get the hang of this, I'm definitely going to try my hand at scripting. I'm sort of going at my own pace, but when it comes to mesh mashups and cluttering, it's pretty easy. Other than my brain being stalled visually, which it currently is now, but I'm getting some good ideas!

Well, its nice to hear that someone is willing to work on it. It's true that the community mostly care about how their characters look, and immersion is not appreciated as I'd hope it would be.
I'm considering to refining and pruning the topic to make it look cleaner, and I'll do this when I've time.