Architecture Tileset

cultofbyron

I'm interested in the possibility of creating architecture tilesets, similar to those found in Morrowind. The intention is for this to be a modder's resource, for the creation of more unique building interiors and exteriors that still fit in with what's already there. I don't think anything like this exists yet on the Nexus for Oblivion, certainly not that I can find anyway!

However, I'm unsure of the "legality" of breaking apart meshes and sharing them on here, or would I have to make them from scratch, using the originals as a reference only?

Many thanks for any feedback!

It's always a question of where these meshes are from.

If you take a Vanilla Oblivion game mesh and break it apart, you basically have implicit permission from the company already to publish this as a mod or resource as long as it's for the same game.

If you take any other mesh to break it apart however, then you'll need permission from whoever the mesh belongs to publicly share your work as a mod for this game.

There's quite a lot of tile sets in the original game, and I've seen a bunch of custom created ones uploaded as well over the years. So it's always a matter of where the original meshes are from and if they are allowed to be shared, in whole or in part.

The whole Morrowind is ported to Oblivion and also Skyrim but complete new tile sets are always fun to use. You do not talk about porting but making complete new ones right with 3D Max or Blender?

• 3 weeks later...

It's always a question of where these meshes are from.

If you take a Vanilla Oblivion game mesh and break it apart, you basically have implicit permission from the company already to publish this as a mod or resource as long as it's for the same game.

If you take any other mesh to break it apart however, then you'll need permission from whoever the mesh belongs to publicly share your work as a mod for this game.

There's quite a lot of tile sets in the original game, and I've seen a bunch of custom created ones uploaded as well over the years. So it's always a matter of where the original meshes are from and if they are allowed to be shared, in whole or in part.

My preferred option is to break apart existing vanilla meshes to create something like Morrowind's modular tilesets for creating custom interiors and exteriors. Glad that it is possible and permitted to do this! I must admit I'm surprised that this hasn't already been done, unless I'm looking in the wrong places, which is entirely possible...!

Chorrol and Cheydinhal would be first up methinks.

I would like to make my own too, probably in a Breton style - like Mr Siika's Daggerfall and High Rock resources.

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by cultofbyron