Raising Your Kids Family Interaction Overhaul

Markala

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, Bethesda might have thought they were taking a risk with Hearthfire in the first place. I feel like a large reaction to it was "If I wanted to run a family, I would play the Sims, not Skyrim." Hearthfire honestly doesn't add too much in terms of adventuring; just a few more player houses and a couple extra child NPC's running around some cities. I wonder if Bethesda was expecting the modding scene to make Hearthfire better. I feel as though there wasn't much effort put into it, and it was cheaper than the other two DLCs because it wasn't as ambitious and it wasn't intended to be as far-reaching.

I think a large issue with adding more interactions into the game is the voice acting. This proposed mod looks toward greater immersion as being a paternal/maternal figure, so the last thing you would want to do is break immersion. One thing that would do that for me is mix voice actors, unless if they sound VERY close to the original children. The easy way around this, of course, would be to have a custom child fully voiced by a community member. An ambitious modder could even attempt to revoice vanilla children to keep their place in the game and make them work perfectly in this mod as well. Then, you have to find a child voice actor...

Still, if such a mod were released, I'd go for it. I haven't actually really spent much time in Hearthfire yet, but this would make me look forward to it.

That actually had me giggle. People in annoying countries raged against the violence of videogames like Skyrim, citing the kill-scenes and all the blood. Just keep in mind, a game where blood sprays and as a werewolf you can litterally rip a head off of a body... But if you marry, your wife/husband won't share a bed with you. Nor is there any real interaction possible.

As said before, you can rip a head off and eat someone's heart but you can't give your spouse a chaste kiss???

In that respect, the Sims allows you to make babies, but you'll never see a drop of blood. Is Skyrim the anti-sims? (thank god for mods that allow at least some physical interaction between adults)

Edited by Cardolan

I'm working on my first mod that may or may not work with some of these ideas. It's a boarding school mod version of Dragonsreach. I don't know how to do anything as advanced as what has been described, but at least I'll have this in place for when someone smarter figures out how.

Some things I am trying to incorporate may be able to be done with a few existing mods. There are multiple follower mods, children as followers mods, & followers can relax mods, that should allow for having a bunch of kids doing what they would normally do while in the school/house, etc. There is also a kids go to school mod which gives them a weekly schedule to go back & forth to school with. Granted, the creator only made the mod so the kids would go away most of the time, but it looks like a lot more could be done with a mod like that. There are also a couple mods where people are actually reading the books in the game aloud, & this may be tweaked so the kids can sit & have stories read to them.

So far I have it set up so there is a library, a normal classroom, Hogworts style dining hall, a cafeteria, a play area with a castle playset that can be explored & played in, with dummies & a dummy dragon to play with. There is also a reading area where I hope to have them have stories read to them before going to bed. There is a separate boys & girls dorm area with 6 beds each & a common area where there will be a dollhouse for the girls, & a castle with action figures for the boys. The lower level has an alchemy lab/classroom, a chapel, an enchantment lab/classroom, an olympic sized swimming pool with three working diving platforms, & a combat training area with a mini arena.

In addition to the castle/boarding school, there is a small cave with a hidden room, a campfire, & a couple bedrolls that is quite hidden, & an additional house which I am planning to make Hearthfires compatible, because I've heard there is too many problems trying to do that with a multi-celled home. It will also have a stable area that holds six horses for the kids to ride.

Other things I would like to see added to the wishlists above would be:

• allow the kids to wear costumes & act out some of the plays that are in the books already
  • have them play school concerts with instruments or sing in a group like a chorus
  • practice playing instruments or singing by themselves
  • play other sports or do other physical activities other than playing tag
  • go on field trips
  • color or draw, or paint
  • do couples dances at a ball, etc. (adults too for that matter)
  • have little romances with the occasional passing of notes, hand holding, & hugging, etc.
Edited by ToppDog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really like the way your mod is coming along Topdog. Looks like a very good place to put the kids and feel you helped them. For those interested I'm talking about http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53509/?. I ran into it by accident while looking for Child Schools just idk want more realism from the otherwise dead drones that only serve to bloack my path in the house atm or bring home annoying dead weight pets that breath annoyingly loud (fox) and they just stare at it.

Note by the way on topic of making kids seem more real the boy in Riverwood Frodnar seems to be the only kid in Skyrim or person for that matter that says "good dog" rather than "stupid dog" and he actually plays with that dog so there has to be something in his scripting that could help a modder.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am to the point where I have over 120 mods, and this kind of mod is one that I have been thinking about looking for for a while now (especially one that lets you have kids of your own). you could have random family quests delivered by the courier. Something that might work well is if you do not visit home after so many days (say 2 weeks), then you get a courier message stating how much your family misses you and you should come home and visit (and adds a quest). for those of you working on this mod, maybe you could colaborate and multiply your efforts. I am looking forward to seeing your efforts, thank you in advance.