Serana Unequips her Elder Scroll.

MidriffModder

So, this is a minor bug I noticed and there seems to be nothing about it online anywhere. In Dimhollow Crypt I find Serana with the Elder Scroll on her back. After the first two Gargoyles attack Serana switches to combat mode and the Elder Scroll disappears from her back. It never comes back again. It is just a visual glitch. Obviously she still has the Scroll and the quest line can be completed. She is just not wearing it any more despite the fact that there is still dialog in the game that assumes she is still carrying the scroll. For example, back at Fort Dawngard she says something like, "As you can see from this thing on my back, I'm still have the scroll." But... she does not have it on her back.

Has anyone else ever seen this glitch?

Edit: I worked around the problem by opening the console and clicking on Serana then entering "equipitem 0201a958". But I don't know if that is a permanent fix. I will need to get Serana into combat to see if she unequips the scroll again.

Edit: She still unequips when in combat and between cell loads :(

Edited by darthpenguin

• 3 months later...

Hi. I know it has been a while, but I thought you might find this interesting. I had this happen to me last night in my LE game, and after a little digging I discovered that the Elder Scroll she carries is actually defined as an arrow, or maybe more accurately an arrow quiver in the game. :blink:

So as you said, she has it in her inventory, and you can force her to equip it using the console, but changing cells it gets unequipped again. I am not exactly sure what is unequipping it... I thought it was Unequip Quiver, an SKSE plugin... but I disabled that and it was still getting unequipped. I also use AFT, and many other mods.

Today I had an idea... and when I forced Serana to equip it using the console, I gave the EquipItem command the extra parm of 1 to indicate it should stay equipped, and now when changing cells it stays equipped! :biggrin:

However, full disclosure... I have no idea if this will cause me any problems later. So for anyone reading, use at your own risk! :yes:

Edit: Dang it! My method works... until I activated Unequip Quiver again. :laugh: Well, maybe this will still help somebody that doesn't use Unequip Quiver. If I find a better way, I will be back. :smile:

Edit2: Unequip Quiver has an option in UnequipQuiver.ini to enable or disable the mod working on NPCs. I normally have it enabled, but decided to disable it for a while, just to see if the Elder Scroll would stay visible. So now, after using the alternate EquipItem command with extra parm of 1, one more time after disablling that option... Serana has been keeping the Elder Scroll equipped, through a vampire fight, a fast travel, me sleeping, a dragon fight, going to an inn and into the Arcaneum at the College of Winterhold. And ya know what? It just seems so much better with it visible. :biggrin:

Edit3: Serana carried the scroll just fine until she gave it up as part of the quest line. Once that was done, I enabled the UnequipQuiver.ini option for NPCs again. :smile:

cmh

Edited by chickmetalhead

No. The only "arrows" (AMMO) she has is the Elder Scroll itself.

Edit: For anybody else interested, go back to my previous post, edited to add comments on how things went. :smile:

Edited by chickmetalhead