Profiles Lost

Wererommel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I am not boring you too much with my problems, but I am a very persistent person and have trouble letting these things go. One thing that bothered me about the Vortex error message was it listed mods that had been added and removed, a very bad list, but still a list. Where did that come from? There must be a master list somewhere that got mangled somehow. I haven't found it yet, and it's probably binary anyway, but I have picked up a few clues.

Checking the Vortex log (C: User > [name] > AppData > Roaming > Vortex) there is a record of what Vortex was trying to do, a record based on erroneous information.

For example, it failed to locate "DT_Hjertesten Hall-48118-3-1-1618082675" even though this mod exists in skyrimse. Only the ID number was different: "DT_Hjertesten Hall-48118-4-1618173694". So it failed to find this mod because the ID number had somehow been changed.

So the master list got scrambled? It isn't that simple. It next went looking for "Elven Teen Meadery Sisters CBBE-4689-1-0" and didn't find it because it wasn't there. I had removed this mod a long time ago. It was no longer in skyrimse. It had never been part of the current profile. So why was Vortex even looking for it?

I don't have answers to these questions, but am posting the information here, in case someone else who has a better understanding of the game than I do can help me.

Skyrimse contains 103 GM of data, which is more than in the backup I made a few weeks ago, so I'm pretty sure nothing (or anyway not much) got deleted.

That wasn't the question though. Does it contain the mods from the error message? Is there a "DT_Hjertesten Hall-48118-3-1-1618082675" directory?

No one has access to my PC but me, and I do a thorough virus check every day.

When you've ruled out all possible explanation, that just means you ruled out too much.

Your problem is coming from somewhere.

There must be a master list somewhere that got mangled somehow.

Of course there is, Vortex needs to store information about the mods you have (e.g. descriptions, which profile they belong to, ...) and that got mangled when you restored a backup of that very information.

For example, it failed to locate "DT_Hjertesten Hall-48118-3-1-1618082675" even though this mod exists in skyrimse. Only the ID number was different: "DT_Hjertesten Hall-48118-4-1618173694". So it failed to find this mod because the ID number had somehow been changed.

ooof...

So there was a backup. You then removed DT_Hjertesten Hall, installed a newer version (version 4 over version 3.1) and then restored the backup.

So now Vortex finds the 3.1 version gone and the version 4 appears out of nowhere.
Literally the first sentence I wrote was "When this error message occurs with a complete list of your mods"
Had you told us at some point that the message doesn't list all your mods but only a couple and then a bunch of "Added" mods as well, that would have helped a bunch.
There is little you can do here. You restored a backup, that destroyed the information Vortex has about mods installed between the time the backup was created and the time you restored it. Because that is literally what a backup does.You can't restore a backup and expect Vortex to still have the information from after the backup was created.
Let me also quote from the help text that goes with the restore button you pressed:
Vortex stores application settings as well as mod meta data and a lot of other important things in a database. Here you can restore a backup of this database (Vortex creates automatic updates). Please note that after this reset, the state may not agree with other data stored on disk, e.g. Vortex may report external file changes for things that it installed itself. Please be very careful to not lose data. We strongly advise you use this only in an emergency, not as an "undo" function.

>>>That wasn't the question though. Does it contain the mods from the error message? Is there a "DT_Hjertesten Hall-48118-3-1-1618082675" directory?

I don't know what a "DT_Hjertesten Hall-48118-3-1-1618082675" directory" is or where to look for one. The mod is in skyrimse though.

>> When you've ruled out all possible explanation, that just means you ruled out too much.

I believe I just ruled out the impossible explanations

>>So there was a backup. You then removed DT_Hjertesten Hall, installed a newer version (version 4 over version 3.1) and then restored the backup.

So now Vortex finds the 3.1 version gone and the version 4 appears out of nowhere.
It just came out in April, so I doubt there are a multitude of versions, and I don't believe I downloaded more than one.
>>You restored a backup, that destroyed the information Vortex has about mods installed between the time the backup was created and the time you restored it.
But that was only three days. The changes of the last three days were only a tiny fraction, not this long list of mods added and removed. And "Elven Teen Meadery Sisters CBBE-4689-1-0" was removed over a month ago, so it couldn't possibly have been in the backup.
Vortex had already been misbehaving before I restored the save; It had removed a mod I had installed without any instructions from me. I was totally surprised by this and suspected that the game state had been corrupted, which was why I restored it. I can hardly think of a better reason than that.
Also, Vortex had recommended that I repair the save, which strongly suggests that it already contained errors. If the repair didn't work, then these errors must have been very serious.

Profiles, saves and the mods file all seem to be intact. No idea how to get Vortex to read them though.

Reinstalling Vortex did not help. Maybe I should uninstall first?

Booting from the BU Vortex file got me the same dumb message, but it also gave me a warning from my virus checker.

I don't think it's "Vortex acting Up", I think it's your AntiVirus program that is removing things without telling you.

Is it Windows Defender?

If so, do you have "Controlled Folder Access" turned off?

I believe your AV is part of the problem

Guest deleted34304850

there is a lot more information coming out now.

I am curious how vortex would completely delete a mod without your knowledge. For the life of me, I see no means for it to do that, and I wonder if you have attempted some sort of restore of a backup which has had more consequences than first thought?

Profiles, saves and the mods file all seem to be intact. No idea how to get Vortex to read them though.

Booting from the BU Vortex file got me the same dumb message, but it also gave me a warning from my virus checker.

I don't think it's "Vortex acting Up", I think it's your AntiVirus program that is removing things without telling you.

Is it Windows Defender?

Don't think Malwarebytes removed "Rivertown Tower" from skyrimse. It does have a problem with C: \User\[name]\AppData\Local\Vortex\Pending\temp-vortex-setup-1.4.12.exe for some reason. I keep keep changing the permissions, but then the name of the program changes sometimes too. Don't see how that relates. My database is fried.

Is it Windows Defender?

Don't think the virus program removed "Rivertown Tower" from skyrimse. It does have a problem with C: \User\[name]\AppData\Local\Vortex\Pending\temp-vortex-setup-1.4.12.exe for some reason. I keep keep changing the permissions, but then the name of the program changes sometimes too. Don't see how that relates. My database is fried.

Someone had that same problem, the file had PENDING at the end of it.

What had happened to that person, is that they had shut down their computer while Vortex was trying to update

Did you mention this "Pending" in any of your previous posts?

Someone should relabel this thread "Paradise Lost", for verily, we are journeying down into the lower regions.

Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know:

Poking through the Vortex files, I found a "IndexedDB" folder, which sounded very promising, but inside I found this, a Google advertising link. Granted that Vortex is indexed somewhere in Google, how did an ad link get into a player's DB folder? And this is supposed to be a text file, a simple log, but it's full of binary code. Is there some secret ad deal between Google and Vortex, or is this malware that has infected my machine?

Is it Windows Defender?

Don't think the virus program removed "Rivertown Tower" from skyrimse. It does have a problem with C: \User\[name]\AppData\Local\Vortex\Pending\temp-vortex-setup-1.4.12.exe for some reason. I keep keep changing the permissions, but then the name of the program changes sometimes too. Don't see how that relates. My database is fried.

Someone had that same problem, the file had PENDING at the end of it.

What had happened to that person, is that they had shut down their computer while Vortex was trying to update

Did you mention this "Pending" in any of your previous posts?

"Pending" is the name of the folder. It just holds the one boot-up program. I don't remember shutting down while Vortex was loading. I do have the problem that I sometimes boot Skyrim from Vortex and nothing happens for a minute, so I boot it again, and then I have two (or even three) Skyrims running at the same time and have to go through some hassle to shut down the extra ones. I also once had an incident when I accidentally closed Vortex while Skyrim was running, but I just started it again, and it didn't seem to make any difference.

There are usually other programs going on in the backgroud: browsers, back-up programs and the virus checker. Possibly one of them accessed a file at the same time that Vortex was trying to load it? Seems like this would happen much more often, if that were the cause.