Skyrim Resolution and my HDTV doesn't get along

repzaj1234

Hi guys, I have this problem where when I set the game resolution to anything above 1280 the game goes beyond the TV edges, like the ENB startup message at the upper left of the screen. It also affects the quality. At 1280 resolution the text looks crisp and detailed. At anything higher it looks enlarged and low res.

I tried 1920 resolution and it worked fine but I got 15 fps lol It seems any resolution between 1280 and 1920 gives me trouble.

I use an HDMI cable to connect my HDTV to my PC btw. One thing I noticed was the TV blacks out for a bit when starting the game at resolutions between 1280 and 1920, then the TV shows 1080p @ 60hz. But when I set it to 1280 resolution it shows 720p @ 60hz it works just fine. Is my TV having trouble with 1080p? I've tried everything from configuring my NVIDIA control panel to override game settings etc. Anyone know the solution to this?

If I remember right, a 1080p tv native resolution is 1920 x1080. The first number is the horizontal resolution (width) and the second vertical (height) Trying to go higher than that will cause strange things to happen.

If you have to use some other setting, look for those with a 16:9 aspect ratio for the best pic. That might mean the image doesn't exactly fit the tv screen- but go with the setting that gives you the best picture without going off the screen or distorting things. - other ratios may stretch one way or the other to fit and look bad. Many monitors made before 2012 were 16:10 which won't be too noticeable.

That blacking out is the TV changing its settings to try to match what it is being fed.

Some TVs have special settings that have to be made to use a computer input though. The TV marketing people get away with things that the computer monitor people would be sued for false advertising if they tried. Just remember that a display made for TV is not the same as one made for a computer - but they are gradually getting closer.

1280x720 is the native resolution, saw it at the NVIDIA control panel. What's baffling me is I've been playing at 1360 resolution for weeks now. It was fine, the picture wasn't oversized and the picture was crisp. One day I think my brother watched TV and I had to set the TV source back to HDMI. Since then 1360 resolution doesn't work anymore...

I'm asking this cause there's a big difference in picture quality between 1280 and 1360 resolutions... At least what I notice...