Difference between 0x24 and 0x2C tokens

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Amineri

Amineri

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,927 posts

Up to now I'd never found an instance where declaring an integer constant using 24 or 2C made an noticeable difference,  but I finally ran across one.

I had been the habit of using 2C tokens as visually for me somehow they seem easier to pick out than the 24 tokens.

The original construction was:

if(eItem == 3)
07 88 00 9A 38 3A 00 77 40 00 00 38 3A 24 03 16  

I did some digging on the == operator and it turns out that it is only valid for integers, not for bytes, which is why eItem has a 38 3A byte-to-int token pair in front of it.

Interestingly, the 3 value 24 03 also had a 38 3A byte-to-int token pair.

When I changed the hex to:

if(eItem == 3)
07 88 00 9A 38 3A 00 77 40 00 00 38 3A 2C 03 16  

the game would crash-to-desktop when the code was executed. Reverting it back to 24 03 solved the issue.

Thought I would mention it so if anyone runs across similar crashing issues it might be a little easier to figure out :D

anUser

anUser

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

I seem to recall there are several possible hex values for == and some mathematical operators. Can it be that each one is meant to be used with a specific data type? And is some of them more flexible than others?

I can tell you I once had to change the + hex, I don't remember the exact value, maybe it was 78 and then I changed it to a 90 or 92, don't recall right now, and after the change it worked, when before I was getting ctd's. So maybe the same is true for comparison tokens, and instead of converting the values you can just use the right operator, if there is a "right" operator for each data type.

Amineri

Amineri

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 3,927 posts

When I was trying to sort out what was going on I found this interesting article about typecasting : http://wiki.beyondun...com/Typecasting

It's definitely true that different operators are used for different types. Some operator types only support certain types of variable types, too.

Apparently there is no "==" operator for comparing byte/enum values.

To compare a class to none, (e.g. m_kUnit == none) you have to use the 0x72 token (or 0x77 for "!=").

For integer comparison it's 0x9A

For float comparisons it's 0xB4

There's no integer version of ABS -- it only works on floats.

The "*=" operator has a version for integer on left side (0x9F), and for float on left side (I think 0xB6), but all version require a float on the right side. Using an integer on right side causes CTD.

-----------------------

As for the conversion tokens, I've been taking notes as to the ones I've found (most weren't defined in the list included with the modding package), and here's what I have so far:

Always a 38 ## byte pair:

EX_PrimitiveCast = 0x38
Second bytes I know of:
 EX_RotatorToVector = 0x39
 EX_ByteToInt = 0x3A;  
 EX_IntToByte = 0x3D
 EX_IntToFloat = 0x3F
 EX_FloatToInt = 0x44
 EX_StringToInt = 0x4A

dubiousintent

dubiousintent

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 8,878 posts

Started Wiki article 'How to understand Unreal Typecasting' to record this info.  (Not the greatest title, but I wanted it to be grouped with the Hex editing articles.)

-Dubious-

bokauk

bokauk

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Always a 38 ## byte pair:
EX_PrimitiveCast = 0x38
Second bytes I know of:
 EX_RotatorToVector = 0x39
 EX_ByteToInt = 0x3A;  
 EX_IntToByte = 0x3D
 EX_IntToFloat = 0x3F
 EX_FloatToInt = 0x44
 EX_StringToInt = 0x4A

These are the ones I've come across:

EX_PrimitiveCast = 0x38;

string(int) 	= 	0x53	(int to string)
int(string) 	= 	0x4A	(string to int)
string(object) 	= 	0x56	(object to string)
float(int)	=	0x3F	(int to float)

anUser

anUser

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

... this made me think that I've never noticed any issue replacing a 2C 00 or a 24 00 for a 25... can we confirm it's safe to operate with those alike? ie a la (24 00 == 25) && (25 == 2C 00)...

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 0.979 seconds