Oblivion: Windows 7 vs Windows 10

AllisterHenderson

Just wondering which version of Windows (7 or 10) most people are running Oblivion in 2021. Any pros or cons in terms of stability for either Windows version.......

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been happy with Win 7 and Oblivion since I made the switch from WinXP. It's not really a fair comparison for me to make though, as WinXP was 32bit and Win 7 is 64bit so things like stability etc. aren't apples to apples when evaluating. My mod list is relatively tame by some standards, but I have a few on there that I know don't make the game more stable (the added value I get from my long and drawn out/tried and true installing methodology). I'm at 5822 hours playing time on my current character (been playing him since 2014) so I certainly wouldn't classify my Win 7/Oblivion setup as unstable or unplayable.

The out of support issue that 1ae brings up isn't something that I personally put much weight on, but keep in mind that XP was well past end of support before I switched to Win 7 (making that ground familiar territory for me). My online and computer habits don't run to a lot of risk ... this site here, a bit of YouTube, some weather sites are my main stops on the web (with very few others), I try to keep my anti-virus mostly up to date and playing Oblivion.

If I had to do a clean wipe and start over is no biggie for me ... I built this machine and installed everything on it, so if push comes to shove I'm just back at square one (and I have been there before).

Win 10 works great really and the game runs very nice on it but it crashes in periods but lately it has run smoothly and maybe it is because I did uninstall Salmo the baker as I guess it did cause some of my crashes. The readme also claim it can cause crashes because of the complex AI it use for those distributing the wares all over Cyrodiil. What will cause you problems is to combine the wrong mods.

Edited by Pellape

Thanks guys for your answers :cool: ...

1ae0bfb8 > Good point about Windows 7 being out of date.... my main concern with Windows 10 though is all of the included Microsoft telemetry spying features.

Striker879> I'm old school too, that's why I am a bit hesitant to going to Windows 10. I used to have a dual boot of XP (32 bit) / Windows 7 (64 bit). I am doing a new PC build now and just questioning whether I should go out and buy Windows 10 or just use my old Windows 7 Installation DVD I brought years ago (when DVD's was still a thing lol).... Included in my decision making involves which windows runs Oblivion better :ermm: .

Pellape > Thanks for letting me know that you successfully run Oblivion on Windows 10..... if I can't decide I might do a dual boot of Windows 7 / Windows 10 and test which Windows allows Oblivion to last the longest without crashing, I have the original Oblivion disc set [Collector's Edition]) so won't need to re-download it.

I share your concern over the Win 10 telemetry.

I have one more virgin copy of Win 7 64 bit OEM for the day (when/if that ever comes) I build my next machine. Actually I have most of the major parts for it ... and have had them for years (approaching a decade). If it turns out my next build will not run Win 7 I'll go with a Linus build (if I need to scrap the parts I have in favour of modern parts because I can't source the remaining parts I need for my new obsolete before it's built build).

Physical disk is the only way to go. I have two Oblivion GotY disk sets and my original Oblivion which I got in a discount bundle with Bioshock. When I need to take the DVD out of the drive for some reason you would think I was handling a priceless antique (because that's exactly what I am doing).

I do not have much of a choice really, as I mostly play the game on my GF's laptop and it has Win 10... ;)

I have so small drives on my gaming PC, so a dual boot is not possible. I did run Linux for many years on it but now I run win 10 all the way... I lost interest in Linux, specially as it is such a hazzle to make games to run in it as it is always something that is not working. I did tried to install Ultima Online Renaissance and it worked well but no sound so then I decided I flush Linux, otherwise it would have been cool to run everything on Linux really.

Windows 10 was really great for Fallout 4 and Skyrim Stable Edition. Ran much smoother and speedier in a 0-60 comparison.

Will it start your great grandfather's Model T and run Oblivion? Probably yes for Oblivion.

Striker879 > Hahaha, yes I still got some old computers from about 10 years ago... like my AsRock P55 Pro, and I think if I look in the shed I might still have my PC build from the 1990s.... a 486DX4-100 MHz / 500 MB HDD and 4 MB of RAM running Windows 95 hahaha :laugh: . I still have a bookshelf of old physical disk games before the age of Steam.

Pellape > I also tried Linux for a while... the beginner one.. Mint. But the learning curve was too steep, having to learn all of the new Linux commands to use in the terminal... and yeah it was a pain getting windows games to run in WINE, I usually did something wrong... but Linux had some really useful applications though like Gparted etc. One day I might try the STEAMOS, as more and more games are being ported to Linux.

Moksha8088 > Yeah Windows 10 is definitely better for newer games.... which is why I will probably do a dual Windows 7 / Windows 10 boot, and run the old games like Oblivion on Windows 7.

I never had a 486, but 8086, 286 and a 386 without FPU and I kept forgetting about it as I sometimes tried to use the FPU with floats and it crashed immediately (coding C). I went from there direct to Pentium 1, without passing 486. I did use Atari mostly and have my oldest one at my desk still from 1987, the Atari 8-bit 130XE, which is a beauty really. Otherwise I mainly used ST and Falcon and those had FPU so floats where possible on them. :wink:

atari-130xe-1920x.jpg

Edited by Pellape