Skyrim Black Screen | Vortex Moding Issues

rmt3589

I've been having this issue where when skyrim launches, the screen turns black. The game is still "playable" and the audio can still be heard, but you can't see the screen. This also is happening when I exit to desktop from ingame.

This is a new issue, and has only been happening since I started using Vortex to manage mods. I've used the nexus mod manager for years without any problem, and just used the mods from stream before that. Even earlier this year, I was able to play fine before needing to factory reset.

(I couldn't move files from my desktop, downloads, etc due to admin rights not working. Unrelated.)

Everyone told me for years to switch to vortex, and except for this issue, vortex runs like a dream. Once I actually get ingame where I can see, there's no problems until I want to stop playing. Then it's a struggle to get to task manager to shut off skyrim before the screen turns black again.

I do want to mention, I had to change the resolution for the game to run after I got vortex, and didn't actually try running skyrim till I already had vortex installed on this instance of my computer. I had to troubleshoot, and guess at resolution numbers, until I found one that worked. Don't know if this is related or not.

Also, skyrim doesn't always open the start game box when launched through vortex. Sometimes it goes directly to the game. After the intro credits, the screen turns black just as I can see the "continue, new game, etc" menu. I don't know if it matters, but the inconsistency of a computer program is a red flag to me.

Right now, my current fix is to put my computer to sleep, then wake it back up. Now that the power button is set to "sleep" it's a lot easier. I can survive with this fix, but would like skyrim to just play when I launch it, and just go to desktop when I quit to desktop.

Guest deleted34304850

all vortex does is install mods.

it doesn't mess with graphics settings.

it doesn't change your screen resolution.

it doesn't do anything except install mods.

you say you used NMM before vortex. did you uninstall all your mods using NMM? did you then reset your game back to a default state by either emptying or deleting your data directory?

then, once you started to use vortex, did you use it to re-install all your mods?

what to do - if it were me, i'd do this;

1. fire up nmm - uninstall all mods - don't delete the archives, just uninstall all the mods using NMM

2, delete my data directory

3. validate my files via steam

4. start skyrim and make sure it starts up as a vanilla game. then once it starts, exit.

5. start up vortex and ensure that i configured it correctly and am using hardlink deployment

6. install one mod and only one mod

7. start up the game, make sure it starts. make sure i get the warning about mods being enabled. then exit.

8. install my mods using vortex, make sure they are deployed and enabled.

9. start a new game. make sure everything is okay.

repeat steps 8 and 9 making sure that everything is fine, until all my mods are installed and working.

Guest deleted34304850

you dont need to run vortex to run any game.

if its not behaving if you're starting it from vortex, are there any startup parameters in your vortex command that starts skyrim?

I suggest you also rename your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini to something else, and start the game once with the Skyrim Launcher exe to set your resolution and other preferences.

C:\users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\

or

C:\users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition

as you never mentioned WHICH Skyrim

Assuming you use SKSE, try clicking on skse64_loader.exe in the Skyrim SE game directory. No need for Vortex to be running.

You actually have to run once from Steam to set the resolution correctly. Edit Options.

I have LE.

I suggest you also rename your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini to something else, and start the game once with the Skyrim Launcher exe to set your resolution and other preferences.

or

If the problem persists, I definitely will. Haven't had a chance to play since the first post, but I'll update this once I try. Hopefully keeping vortex closed when playing skyrim solves all the issues.

or

That worked. It still had the issue after not having Vortex up when I ran skyrim, but I tried this and it worked. Not sure why, as deleting them before didn't. But I'm not arguing with results, unless it persists as an issue. Thanks so much!