Game starts smooth, then becomes laggy after a while.

HaiTan95

It may be temperature issues with the video card. I know I have mentioned that but depending on your mods, they do put a lot of stress on the CPU and GPU. In your graph showing your lag, I experienced the exact same issues, my problem was over-heating. You may want to look into under-volting your CPU (there are plenty of YouTube videos explaning the process, I recommend Throttle stop). Although it sounds counter-productive, under-volting actually increases your CPU speed as it reduces heat. You can do the same with your GPU, though I have not yet learned how to do that efficiently. I have increased the speed of my CPU by 1,000 Mhz just be under-volting, a huge increase.

I hope you figure it out as I understand how frustrating it can be.

Ok, I need more testing, but I think we made it. I’ve downloaded MSI Afterburner, set the fan speed curve to a more aggressive percentage (100% at 70 C) and the game didn’t lag after over an hour of playtime, which is an absolute revolution for me. Never archived this. Like I said, I need more long term playing sessions to confirm this, but I’m 98% sure we made it.

Ok. After more testing, I think it's safe to say that the problem is solved. So here is the conclusion:

The problem:

-My GPU was overheated, to the point it exceeded the temperature limit, which is 83 C by default, so it throttle itself to remain under the heat limit after 15 minutes of gameplay. This is dueled to the fact that my GPU fans wasn’t performed at full potential.

SOLUTION:

-Download MSI Afterburner, set the fan speed curve to a more aggressive percentage (100% at 70 C), and the GPU no longer throttle. Solid 60 fps during my 2 hours of testing.

I post this here so if anyone’s having the same issue, here is a throughout solution. Kudo to the Nexus member AtomicFallout757 of the Buffout 4 community, who pointed out the GPU heat issue right away, just by seeing my before and during pictures of the lag. Seriously, thank you kind sir. You are the light in the deepest dark for me and so many people. I can’t thank you enough. And that’s it. See you guys out there in the waste, fellow wanderers.

Edited by haitan95

I am glad you solved your issue. I have done all of that as well as undervolting my CPU and GPU. I am still having issues with severe stuttering, predominantly in settlement building where the game pauses for maybe 10 seconds, then my fps goes up to the 60s for a bit, rinse and repeat. The thing is, I have two different apps monitoring the temps and clock speeds and they are not at the point that they would throttle, so it makes no sense. I have even reduced the clock on my CPU to 3500 Mhz to prevent throttling. I am at a complete loss. Although misery loves company, I am glad that you at least have solved your problem. Happy gaming.