Broken main DLC Quest, Can't Progress any ideas on a fix?

b0bulat0r

Hi There

I'm trying to play through the Dawnguard DLC and I have a problem that the Quest "Prophet" just doesn't start

at the end of "A new Order" Isran gives his speech to the NPC's that we've brought back and says that a vampire has shown up looking for me, it is supposed to start the quest Prophet immediately afterwards but it doesn't.

I thought it might be one of the two mods that I have that directly effect dawnguard, Immersive fort Dawnguard and Pandorables dawnguard npc's but i've disabled both, I ran a load/save/load before handing in the previous quest (one that was nowhere near the fort) and then travelled to dawnguard but still had the issue, so I started a new game and speedran myself up to this point with god mode on and still had the same issue.

On the USEP wiki it says the following

"The quest may fail to start after completing the previous quest. If this happens, enter the following command into the console: setstage dlc1vq03hunter 5 then wait a few hours for Serana to appear in the fort, then follow Isran."

However doing that does absolutely Nothing, if I do this command and then use getstage dlc1vq03hunter it returns stage 0. I've tried waiting inside and outside of the fort for an entire day both before and after attempting the command but it does nothing.

from the wiki an other things i've read online it sounds like this can happen in the vanilla version of the game without mods, I've attached my load order anyway.

At this point I just want to find a workaround so either a fix to make the quest start properly or a way to jump start the questline, either or I don't care. but the wiki's recommendation is not working for me.

Many thanks

regards

Use the sqv command with the quest id to see if it's running. If it's not, I believe there is a startquest command you can use to start it. Also use sqs command to check the valid quest stages and to see which stages are completed. You should be able to get the quest started and advancing with a combination of the startquest, setstage, sqv and sqs commands. If a requred npc is missing, you can move them to your character. A common reason for quests to not start is the failure for an alias to resolve during initialization (that is some horrible passive voice writing, but I don't feel like rewording). It's possible that some NPC that the quest wants to assign an alias is dead. Or something else. Who knows.

EDIT: Is your character a vampire? I think that setstage command you used would fail, since there appears to be a separate quest id for when the player character is a vampire. Also, the quest is trying to set 4 aliases: 1 Dexion 2 Vampire's Note 3 Malkus 4 Vampire Leutenant [sic] (yes that's how it spelled it)

Edited by blitzen

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing the dawnguard verison not the vampire version I'm not a vampire this time around, I only meant I've done the vampire version in a previous save game but i've not actually done dawnguard as a dawnguard before.

I forcibly moved serena to the cell and It still isn't working :S

Use the sqv command with the quest id to see if it's running. If it's not, I believe there is a startquest command you can use to start it. Also use sqs command to check the valid quest stages and to see which stages are completed. You should be able to get the quest started and advancing with a combination of the startquest, setstage, sqv and sqs commands. If a requred npc is missing, you can move them to your character. A common reason for quests to not start is the failure for an alias to resolve during initialization (that is some horrible passive voice writing, but I don't feel like rewording). It's possible that some NPC that the quest wants to assign an alias is dead. Or something else. Who knows.

EDIT: Is your character a vampire? I think that setstage command you used would fail, since there appears to be a separate quest id for when the player character is a vampire. Also, the quest is trying to set 4 aliases: 1 Dexion 2 Vampire's Note 3 Malkus 4 Vampire Leutenant [sic] (yes that's how it spelled it)

that's the quest before, which i already completed, so this doens't work either.

I managed to bypass this quest by starting the quest AFTER it, skipping the whole thing, it worked and let me progress through the entire rest of dawnguard, but unfortunately the quest i skipped means that my dawnguard must be missing some flags and never got rebuilt and still looks shitty after harkon's death.

try

setstage DLC1HunterBaseIntro 70

or

setstage DLC1HunterBaseIntro 200

the previous quest was completed successfully (Isran did his speach and said about Serana looking for me) but it doesn't start the next part, the console command to finish the previous quest doesn't do anything because it was already finished successfully (you can use console commands to advance quests but never to go back to previous stages of that quest)

I think the idea of doing the quest before was to force it to progress the current one through the questline instead of the console.