Is there such a thing as a texture checklist?

Hexlicious

There are so many beautiful texture mods out there, and I want to make my skyrim as good as I can, is there something mildly crazy like a checklist with every type of individual texture (for objects, not terrain, since that is pretty straight forward usually) that anybody know about?

Something like a list from A to Z of every object in the game, and potentially individually grouped where they fit in, like "food" in one category and so on.

Appreciate anyone that might know of such a magical thing.

Not sure what the rules regarding posting links to offsite things on the forums are (only just started using the forums, despite using the main site for years now), but upon Googling it I may have found what you were looking for on Reddit. Post on r/skyrimmods from 2015 titled "Ye Olde List of Textures", just google Skyrim texture list and it should be the first result (assuming it's not different for everyone? I don't know), links to a Google doc. Assuming the texture names remained the exact same, it may be what you are looking for. Let me know if it's not, I could dig a bit deeper to try to find something.

Edited by xXTheForsakenQueen01Xx

Probably the easiest way to do this, and gain some extra functionality in the process, is create a safe folder, outside the game directory. Use something like BSA Browser to open the textures archives. There are 9 of them, Skyrim - Textures0 through Skyrim - Textures8. Open each, select "extract all" to folders *make sure to select to use folders, or you will have a jumbled mess* and choose your safe folder as the destination point. Once you've extracted all nine of them, you will have a directory of every texture in the vanilla game, subdivided in the same way as they are in the game's file path. (ie: actors, architecture, armor, clutter, etc.) Using something like paint.net or GIMP (both free) you can then open each of the textures, if you'd like to compare them against a potential mod texture. By keeping this folder out of your game directory, you don't have to worry about overloading it or figuring out what is vanilla and what is modded. The archives remain intact in the data folder, along with any texture replacers you choose to install, and your new, interactive list of textures, remains intact in its safe folder.

Probably the easiest way to do this, and gain some extra functionality in the process, is create a safe folder, outside the game directory. Use something like BSA Browser to open the textures archives. There are 9 of them, Skyrim - Textures0 through Skyrim - Textures8. Open each, select "extract all" to folders *make sure to select to use folders, or you will have a jumbled mess* and choose your safe folder as the destination point. Once you've extracted all nine of them, you will have a directory of every texture in the vanilla game, subdivided in the same way as they are in the game's file path. (ie: actors, architecture, armor, clutter, etc.) Using something like paint.net or GIMP (both free) you can then open each of the textures, if you'd like to compare them against a potential mod texture. By keeping this folder out of your game directory, you don't have to worry about overloading it or figuring out what is vanilla and what is modded. The archives remain intact in the data folder, along with any texture replacers you choose to install, and your new, interactive list of textures, remains intact in its safe folder.

That is actually extremely clever, never realized how "neatly" packed the textures for this game were, makes sense though given how simple it can be to mod this game, appreciate it.