I was playing Skyrim the other day and i was thinking to myself there is no real point to doing thane quests because after all you only get let off on a crime once then your treated like a normal citizen again

This was bothering me because after all the dragonborn puts there life on the line for all of the Jarls and the holds and in return you don't really get much back or have any real power, you get houses that aren't as good as some of the mods out there you get a housecarl that lets be honest gets in the way and the AI isn't the best

What would happen if being a thane gave you power for example private guards for your houses just like the city guards that could help you out when giants or bandits attack your Hearthfire house or vampires when they run into the city, you could buy and run shops like Warmadians where you can upgrade the shop hire more people to work their so there is a larger variety of purchasable itmes or you could be a financial backer for a citizen like Yolanda or become a rivals of powerful people like the black briars

What if you were thane of all of the holds what if you were granted X amount of land that you would build or repair your own keep where you will need hinges, nails, iron fittings, locks, lumber, quarried stone and clay that you would bring to a construction manager that would ask you what you wanted to build up next IE an inn, armory, barracks, fletcher, training grounds for your recruits, mage courts with alchemy and enchanting labs and stores so you could build up a real city so you feel like you have achieved everything like being the guild master of every fraction

The city could be part of the civil war were both sides desperately want to take the city because of its strategic location IE its near rich mine deposits that the cities armor has hired miners to mine for weapons and armor or it could be vastly populated and getting tax every day or week from all the citizens and the revenue could supplement more soldiers, weapons and armor for either side and if you hadn't decided what side you have sided with you have to upgrade the city to defend from the stormcloaks, the empire and bandits IE archer towers walls catapults and crazy crossbow wielding maniacs running up and down the wall and taking out a stormcloak or empire camp would weaken their attacks and their attackers

Your army and personal guard would have their own armor depending on what rank they are soldier or officer and ranked weapons and you have to assign them a strategy either stealth for silent but swift kills or aggressive where they forgo stealth and go in overwhelming numbers on camps or cities or maybe they can attack the annoying forsworn