Premium Member with Really Slow Downloads

squibjb66

Squibjb66 here,

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if the download speed has been capped or something? I live in the Washington DC area(By the way where did our local server go?) and I am trying to track down why my downloads speeds are so slow. I am running the latest Firefox browser, I have Microsoft Security Essentials, and I'm running the Pro version of Malwarebytes. I am trying to elliminate things one at a time. But make no mistake, my knowlege of these IT issues is limited. I would also like to take this oppurtunity to thank those responsible for keeping this site running. I have been a happy user more than 10 years or so. Thanks for your time helping me figure this out,

squibjb66

"Make your own luck"

I have the same problem so its not you, I am in California, premium server (Denver 2) 400K download speed. Non-premium server (San Jose) 2.7MB speed. Isn't this supposed to be the other way around? Another user "AstroGazer" said the same thing here http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/news/980/&pUp=1

The Denver server does seem to be having issues for a few people, and you're not the only one(s). The irony is I live in the UK and I download at 700kb/sec from the Denver server with Google Chrome, with no download manager, and 1300kb/sec with NMM and 4 threads. My max speed is 1700kb/sec, so not bad for a server, what, 5,000 miles away?

Here's the blurb that I send to Premium Members who are having issues with specific servers in the network:

Your download speed can be affected by a number of issues, including your distance from the servers, your ISP's particular connection to the file servers and many local variables. As a Premium Member several new options are opened up to you both within NMM and when manually downloading outside of NMM:

- Your download speed cap of 1024kb/sec is removed allowing you, if possible, to download faster

- You can now download using multiple "threads". In NMM this setting can be found under Settings -> Download Options. Threads are basically multiple connections to the server from the same file. Say, for example, your maximum connection download speed is 4MB/sec but you can only download files from our servers at 1MB/sec. With downloading threading using 4 threads you'll download a file at 4x1MB/sec, or 4MB/sec. Handy! This also works if you're using a download manager like DownThemAll!

- You can now download from Premium-only servers. There is an additional option in NMM under Settings -> Download Options to choose whether to only use Premium servers or all servers. A special note here; Premium-only servers might NOT be the fastest servers for your connection. We offer Premium-only servers for those times (like Sundays) when the normal file servers might be really busy, and ergo, slower than normal. But it's very possible that a normal server is faster for you, so do some testing on your end and if the Premium-only servers are indeed slower just don't download from them.

- On-top of this ensure that you're downloading from locations near to you. Once again you can alter this setting in Settings -> Download Options. If the area closest to you isn't working for you, try another area. It's possible, through some magic of the internet, somewhere a bit further away might actually be faster for you.

I hope this helps you and that you understand that Premium Membership doesn't just offer you the advantage of Premium-only download servers but actually a number of important bonus features over normal members.

Thank you for your support.

I received a rather rude response to that message yesterday from a Premium Member saying I wasn't answering the question of why the Denver server was slow for them, not quite sure why, but I didn't appreciate it.

The situation is thus: if you are getting slow speeds on the Denver servers but faster speeds on other servers, is there really a problem? 2.7MB/sec from the San Jose servers, for example, is 2.5 times faster than what you could get on a non-Premium connection due to the 1024kb/sec cap. We have 12 file servers for this exact reason. Some servers are going to be slow for you and some are going to be fast. When you find a fast one, stick to it :smile:

Now, if you have a problem with speeds on ALL the file servers then yes, that's a legitimate concern and I'd like to hear from you.

Hey Drakone (Mr. Scott),

Thanks for the info! I also read the news and posted about it on the Technical Support Forum here so others will remember to read the news first before posting to see whats going on. I myself often forget too. Here is a link to my post:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1013512-always-read-the-news/

I hope it makes you smile,

Squibjb66 (James)

"Make your own luck"

• 6 months later...

@satyricon0; Did you read the site owner's post two before yours?!?

As for changing the default fileserver, have you gone into NMM and set a different region?

See below:

http://static2.nexusmods.com/15/images/140/1678793-1387642091.png

I'm in California, the best server for me is San Jose, but my downloads are set to west and default to Dallas, which always fails, and then immediately transitions to one of the Salt Lake servers. I don't know if it's just the distance, or if it's a Mormon conspiracy to delay the acquisition of my violent content, but downloads that take only 10 minutes from San Jose take upwards of an hour from each of these servers.

Since I upgraded, I've had no issues with the Denver server, and it actually goes faster for me than all of the Salt Lake servers, but not as fast as San Jose.

I think instead of designating a region, the mod manager should allow us to designate a favorite server, Dallas is nowhere near where I live, relatively, so there's no reason it should be starting with that server.

• 5 months later...

Try logging out within NMM and make sure you are only using your greentooth12 username to login. If it's still showing the "Premium" smiley face then NMM isn't recognising your Premium Membership for some reason. Get in contact and we'll walk through it with you.

• 3 weeks later...

Try logging out within NMM and make sure you are only using your greentooth12 username to login. If it's still showing the "Premium" smiley face then NMM isn't recognising your Premium Membership for some reason. Get in contact and we'll walk through it with you.

Fixed it some reason it wasn't recognising it but now it is.