Plugin incompatible popup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 15,290 posts

Those are warnings and not errors. Distributing plugins for different edition of a game and/or for different versions of a game in a single distribution is valid. This apply to all xSE extenders.

I'm curious, what purpose would this serve in the case of a game that hasn't been updated in many years and likely won't see an official update again? (New Vegas) I suppose a FOMOD installer could be used if there are a handful of versions floating around? 

These same warnings can lead to CTDs (particularly in the case of Skyrim/Skyrim SE). You can dismiss the warnings using the little cog next to the warning notification if you believe they are irrelevant, although I think that currently ignores them for all games. 

hlp

hlp

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 455 posts

FNV: There are two editions , one with no gore. If your plugin supports both editions it is ten time easier to have both DLL in the same archive than trying to get the end user to select the proper edition.

The exact same issue exists with Skyrim and Skyrim VR, though I never tested SKVR plugins.

Another case, if all a patched version of the game changes are memory offsets in the plugin, there is no reason not to offer compatibility with older versions of the game with a plugin updates.

Last and not the least, FNV and older games supports Editor plugins. So some plugins can only be loaded with the Editor and will always show up as incompatible in the log when launching the game.

Honestly just do not deal with those messages when starting the game, you are only propagating false positives.

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 15,290 posts

So I'm not aware of this being a problem outside of New Vegas. Perhaps it would be more logical for xNVSE to only load game plugins with the game and editor plugins with the editor instead of loading stuff that definitely won't work? Unless there's some kind of technical reason why that won't work? 

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.080 seconds