Plugin incompatible popup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 15,493 posts

Those are warnings and not errors. Distributing plugins for different edition of a game and/or for different versions of a game in a single distribution is valid. This apply to all xSE extenders.

I'm curious, what purpose would this serve in the case of a game that hasn't been updated in many years and likely won't see an official update again? (New Vegas) I suppose a FOMOD installer could be used if there are a handful of versions floating around? 

These same warnings can lead to CTDs (particularly in the case of Skyrim/Skyrim SE). You can dismiss the warnings using the little cog next to the warning notification if you believe they are irrelevant, although I think that currently ignores them for all games. 

hlp

hlp

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 457 posts

FNV: There are two editions , one with no gore. If your plugin supports both editions it is ten time easier to have both DLL in the same archive than trying to get the end user to select the proper edition.

The exact same issue exists with Skyrim and Skyrim VR, though I never tested SKVR plugins.

Another case, if all a patched version of the game changes are memory offsets in the plugin, there is no reason not to offer compatibility with older versions of the game with a plugin updates.

Last and not the least, FNV and older games supports Editor plugins. So some plugins can only be loaded with the Editor and will always show up as incompatible in the log when launching the game.

Honestly just do not deal with those messages when starting the game, you are only propagating false positives.

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 15,493 posts

So I'm not aware of this being a problem outside of New Vegas. Perhaps it would be more logical for xNVSE to only load game plugins with the game and editor plugins with the editor instead of loading stuff that definitely won't work? Unless there's some kind of technical reason why that won't work? 

hlp

hlp

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 457 posts

The problem is the same for Oblivion and Skyrim original edition.
Because there is no external distinction between Editor and game plugin as a plugin can be both an editor and a game plugin or an editor plugin or a game plugin.

Once again, please do not report things that are not error. That is all you have to do.

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 15,493 posts

The problem is the same for Oblivion and Skyrim original edition.
Because there is no external distinction between Editor and game plugin as a plugin can be both an editor and a game plugin or an editor plugin or a game plugin.

Once again, please do not report things that are not error. That is all you have to do.

The point I'm making is that Vortex isn't reporting the error, xNVSE is the one generating that log. The source code of which parts of the text it parses can be found here: https://github.com/N...c/index.ts#L232

You're welcome to make a PR if you can think of a way to "fix" this. Although, as before, all Vortex is doing is reading the script extender log file. 

hlp

hlp

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 457 posts
It is a log not an ERROR LOG. When XSE reports an error you will see it.

Pickysaurus

Pickysaurus

Community Manager

• Admin
  • 15,493 posts

Yes, it's a log. However, we report anything that is considered an error. A plugin reporting as incompatible or failing to load is an error in most use cases. (Most commonly, the user has loaded a Skyrim 2011 plugin into Skyrim SE or has a plugin incompatible with the current game version). As I said, if you see something we can change in the source code there, I'm happy to look at it. But I would prefer to mildly annoy users who know what they're doing rather than not tell the users who are less experienced that they have something wrong with their setup. 

Edit: As FNV is the only game that appears to use this inconsistent practice, perhaps an option for the user to ignore the warnings for a certain game may help here?

ePath

ePath

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Yes, it's a log. However, we report anything that is considered an error. A plugin reporting as incompatible or failing to load is an error in most use cases. (Most commonly, the user has loaded a Skyrim 2011 plugin into Skyrim SE or has a plugin incompatible with the current game version). As I said, if you see something we can change in the source code there, I'm happy to look at it. But I would prefer to mildly annoy users who know what they're doing rather than not tell the users who are less experienced that they have something wrong with their setup. 

Edit: As FNV is the only game that appears to use this inconsistent practice, perhaps an option for the user to ignore the warnings for a certain game may help here?

"I would prefer to mildly annoy users who know what they're doing rather than not tell the users who are less experienced that they have something wrong with their setup."  Understandable preference excep that, "incompatible during query" doesn't mean something is wrong with the user setup, and if someone is looking for that report which imo more than likely is going to be .dll devs before release, that someone is going to look at the .log, not fire up or keeping open Vortex just for that, there's no need nor benefit on showing this in Vortex.

"perhaps an option for the user to ignore the warnings for a certain game may help here"  That's literally the only thing we can do and what all users have done up do this point, but wouldn't you prefer to save the hassle of completely new users looking support or trying to fix something that is not broken and the headache of all that?. There's just no need for it in Vortex, if there's no need, why keep it? just because?

"You're welcome to make a PR if you can think of a way to "fix" this."  Line 233 'reported as incompatible during query', it literally just looks for that exact string in the log, I doubt an experienced programmer would have trouble removing that check and anything necessary related to it.

Edited by ePath, 23 June 2021 - 01:20 PM.

Zanderat

Zanderat

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 5,766 posts

@ePath, sorry if I seem to not be following.  But why on earth would you want to remove reporting a compatibility error?  A better approach is what Picky suggested, an option to turn off the warnings for experienced users.  If anything, the fix needs to be on the xNVSE side.

ePath

ePath

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

@ePath, sorry if I seem to not be following.  But why on earth would you want to remove reporting a compatibility error?  A better approach is what Picky suggested, an option to turn off the warnings for experienced users.

That still leaves new users with a message they don't understand.
if someone is looking for that report which imo more than likely is going to be .dll devs before release, that someone is going to look at the .log, not fire up or keeping open Vortex just for that

and it has been expressed time and time again that it is not an error for people that know better than some random guy like me. For what I've come to understand, it's pretty much xNVSE saying oh, you're loading the GECK, and look this .dll is not to be loaded with the GECK so I'll just ignore it and move on and viceversa when launching the game. What use is that for non experienced users?.

EDIT: What you want fixed in xNVSE? removing the report for good there is not what we want, just not throw the report at everyone's face even though they don't need it in the mod manager. Whoever would need it then clearly know better and would look for it in the .log, not in Vortex.

Edited by ePath, 23 June 2021 - 01:47 PM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.001 seconds