-A Mod Idea- Be the Creator and Jarl of your own town

mj201188

Hi all.

Just had a mod idea that i have been thinking about for a couple of days and wondered what your thoughts were/the idea of it possibly being put into creation.

Becoming the builder/creator and Jarl of your own Skyrim town.

First off, you would need to buy a sizeable block of land. (I was looking on the map for a good place and i thought between Rorrikstead and Whiterun looked appropriate) I thought that maybe it could be purchased off a character in an Inn somewhere in Skyrim for around 15,000 - 20,000 septims and with the condition of he will be a settler in the new town without having to pay any taxes.

Then once you reach your land for the first time you will see a drafting table, chest and carpenters work bench. Just like the hearthfire add on you start to build the towns walls and gate, the jarls quarters and watch tower, mine, a bank, your own private home, shops etc. Once you have built the town walls and gate you should be able to recruit a right hand man (or woman) who you can instruct to hire labourers for a fee or you can decide to build the rest of the towns needs and amenities and mine and harvest the materials needs for yourself. This helper you hire would be your constant go to guy throughout the whole game for things you need. Like more livestock for the town, decorations, recruit more guards, recruit private body guards, hire maintenance labourers etc.

Once building of the township is complete, you would then need to recruit guards and train them and hire a guard leader to keep them in order. You can tell the guards and the guard leader what weapons to carry and what armour to wear. You would also need to supply them with regular wages and a place to sleep.

Once you have guards you will then need to seek out shop keepers, Farmers, Townsfolk to come and live in your village by posting up signs and asking around and they will be taxed accordingly to live in the city. The tax you earn pays for the guards and the things needed to keep the city running and the rest is profit that will be put into the town bank which you can access anytime and take and add from accordingly.

I was also thinking along the lines of bandits or the thalmor being interested in your recent activity and all the money that is being moved around and they demand you pay taxes to them. After denying them the money that will send your town broke they storm in and try to take down the city, until you stop them of course.

You can also decide if your city has taken a side in the war or if you are independent and the city can be decorated with banners and signs accordingly.

This would be a very involved mod and would be on going throughout the game. Like keeping up to date with the citys maintenance, handling demands from townsfolk, hiring more staff and most of all consistently checking the books to make sure you are getting a profit.

The mod would include:

-New armour and weapons.

-A new home

-A new inn with access to side quests that help the city. Eg, Kill the bandit leader who robbed a store in your town and return the money to the bank.

-New followers, merchants and stores

-New Jarls headquarters

-Advanced Jarls Armour and weapons.

-A bank to keep all of valuable items

-Custom guards armour with the citys emblem on.

- Private body guards

- Stables with new horses

The city will be surrounded by walls and will contain everything you need. From selling stolen items to a shifty Khajit wise guy street dealer to harvesting iron and refined moonstone,

I would also really like this mod to be compatible so your spouse can live in the city with your children.

I got some of the ideas for this mod from the Helgen Reborn mod and just wanted to expand from there.

I have a more extensive plan of what the mod could be with character names and quest ideas so forth. Just wanted to hear some suggestions and see if it could go ahead from there.

I imagine land, you buy it, and like Hearthfire building, you get "slots" to build in all over the place, you then proceed to choose what you want to build in every slot (you know, if you want 10 Inns, go ahead! but expect close to no profit). Depending then on what you choose, there are "ultimate builds", e.g:

• If you construct a farm patch close to a river, the "income" from it will prove more fruitful than placing it on rocky ground
  • If you choose to build an inn close to the entrance/road, it will attract more customers and you'll receive better profit
  • If you build a guard tower in the middle of town rather than on the outskirts, there'll be more attempted raids, crimes etc
  • Building more than one of the same building could suffer you a lof of profit in real-estate, carefully plan how you want to build the city, and place shops/inns etc. tactically

Other than your own suggestions, a feature I've always wanted to see in these types of mods, would be "Court", very similar to the Dragon Age: Awakening quest "A Day In Court", I highly doubt it's a very hard one to make.

Edited by Halendia

It's a great idea that's been mentioned many times before. I've even thought about it myself.. I know how to do it, just not the time or the patience.

The problem with this idea (like a lot of ideas on here) is that it's far too ambitious. A lot of modders out there (including myself), spend days.. over a hundred hours creating something as simple as a player home. That's one house with very simple scripting; what you're looking at making is many homes, shops, stalls, a large Jarls Longhouse or structure, new voiced NPC's, quests, dialogue and a lot of frustrating papyrus.

It's not a bad idea.. and if you could get a dedicated team together I'd definitely be interesting in lending a hand; but starting small is key.

• Get the framework up and running; a bare plot of land with a handful of homes, a tavern, a blacksmith and a Jarls Cabin/Longhouse/Castle.
  • Then work on simple building mechanics using x markers (much like Hearthfire), and upgrading things for a price.
  • Look at getting a bunch of voice actors and prepare yourself for many, many hours of creating dialogue for your NPC's.

If you can do all that, then well done.. you can then move onto more complex structures, like quests within your town, bandit attacks, taxes, etc...

Oh, and if there is anyone who already has experience in this area, it's DarkFox127. You might want to give him a buzz.

I am well aware of this, despite being a novice myself, but I think the reason why people have such ambitious ideas is because they want to attract interest. The more I read the more I become like "Yeah.. Yeah! I'd really like that!", and I think that sort of motivation, from ANYONE, is a vital nominator in such a large project.

Of course, a lot of things in the Requests forums are just hopes and dreams, but I think that a project like this with a fairly dedicated, motivated OP has a bigger chance of success (in attracting good modders) rather than someone coming in with sloppy grammar and poor grasp of what's doable and not going "Ehy guise I want a mod for a town where I cna be yarl, plz someone mek this?????".

Just saying... :smile: These types of threads are idea forges, not project plans.

The purpose of requests in this forum, is to basically "sell your idea", just like IRL. You have your idea, you twist and turn it til' it seems good enough, then you present it to a company, hoping they'll buy it off of you and create it (or invest in it). Nothing is certain, of course, but chances of success are next to none if you don't have a well thought through idea FIRST.

Edited by Halendia

Agreed.. I wish I could.

Now only if my little raisinette of a brain could start installing that "Learning Compatibility"-hotfix, I'd be very, very grateful... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

It may not be as ambitious as what you are looking for, but the mod Helgen Reborn provides many hours of entertainment. It has new armor, rebuilds the town, including the inn, has several new NPCs (at least one can be made a follower, in the latest version), and several quests that rebuild the town and establish the town guard. I have not played the mod all the way through it yet, so I do not know if my player will end up as a Jarl or mayor, but my player did get a nice rebuilt keep in Helgen (it was a fixer-upper), so far, for his efforts. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35841 At the very least, Helgen will no longer be a pain to travel through, since it gets rid of the town's perpetually respawning bandits.

I guess the main thing here for me would be along the lines of... you don't exactly build the town. you start with a nice inn, or farm, etc and slowly people start moving nearby if business is good enough, and as the town grows you build a smithy, shops, etc.