Is it supposed to think hard in a menu?

hucker75

I can easily tell when my graphics card is thinking hard, the fan gets louder. So why is it the loudest time is when I press escape, so every thing in the entire game is stopped, nothing is happening, no calculations should be happening whatsoever? It's a miracle this pile of rubbish works at all.

So why is it the loudest time is when I press escape, so every thing in the entire game is stopped, nothing is happening, no calculations should be happening whatsoever?

Pressing Esc doesn't stop the game at all.. it just opens a menu. Menus are handled by interface files. The menu you see is similar to the Terminal or Pip-Boy menu.

So why is it the loudest time is when I press escape, so every thing in the entire game is stopped, nothing is happening, no calculations should be happening whatsoever?

Pressing Esc doesn't stop the game at all.. it just opens a menu. Menus are handled by interface files. The menu you see is similar to the Terminal or Pip-Boy menu.

Hitting escape *should* pause the game, reducing the load on various hardware.......

Hitting escape *should* pause the game, reducing the load on various hardware.......

I don't understand LarannKiar's message. Of course esc pauses the game, it's what you do to answer the phone or go to the loo! Nothing happens during the esc menu, nobody shoots anybody, nobody moves, time does not pass in the game. So, what is being processed that makes the GPU run flat out? It's thinking about something, but there isn't even a pixel changing on the screen!

Possibly a driver issue?? Is this a recent development? Or something it has always done?

Always done it, but then I only got the game in November 2020. And the GPU is several years old. It just seems odd to me that it can be doing anything when paused! What calculations are being asked of the card?

I don't understand LarannKiar's message. Of course esc pauses the game, it's what you do to answer the phone or go to the loo! Nothing happens during the esc menu, nobody shoots anybody, nobody moves, time does not pass in the game. So, what is being processed that makes the GPU run flat out? It's thinking about something, but there isn't even a pixel changing on the screen!

Pressing escape doesn't reduce the load (or maybe it does but only a tiny bit).. You have to actually exit to the Main Menu for that.

"Nothing happens, no calculation" is not true. The "exit" (and not the main) menu does not stop the "heavy" game processing.. Though I agree with HeyYou that it should..

Edited by LarannKiar

Pressing escape doesn't reduce the load (or maybe it does but only a tiny bit).. You have to actually exit to the Main Menu for that.

"Nothing happens, no calculation" is not true. The "exit" (and not the main) menu does not stop the "heavy" game processing.. Though I agree with HeyYou that it should..

What on earth is it thinking about with the menu there? When I close the menu, nothing has progressed in the game, nobody has moved, etc. It's using the same amount of GPU power with the menu open as when I'm playing the game!