And you were right, HTR. I reserve that term for when the Bathysphere is sinking to lows yet again. Started actually using it in postings after 76 got rolling.

As for forced behaviors, it's just outright bizarre game scripts are wasted on things like forcing you to talk to Preston that way. Hell, I still get eyetwitches when he asks about other survivors of 111 when he was right next to you while you and Mama Murphy were discussing Shaun after the second defense of the Museum of Freedom (AKA the Deathclaw Fight).

The one that gets me, is how the Concord survivors always talk about getting things done, and immediately, the Handyman, Sturges starts telling you what to do.

Then once you're done doing everything that Sturges said HE was going to do, then Preston starts telling you what to do and starts sending YOU out on missions, even though he's calling YOU "General", while he sits there, staring aimlessly out a window while whistling a tuneless melody, claiming "I've got my hands full here"

Dude, you are literally sitting there, whistling AND DOING NOTHING, don't tell me your hands are full.

Well, in the Fallout Universe, the human race is going to go extinct, because no one can do anything for themselves. They all need the SS to do it for them. So, ONE guy is responsible for the entire population of the commonwealth. Even if you set up defenses in a settlement, arm/armor all the settlers, set up guard posts, etc, they can STILL lose a fight, because YOU aren't there...... There is no hope. :)

Well, in the Fallout Universe, the human race is going to go extinct, because no one can do anything for themselves. They all need the SS to do it for them. So, ONE guy is responsible for the entire population of the commonwealth. Even if you set up defenses in a settlement, arm/armor all the settlers, set up guard posts, etc, they can STILL lose a fight, because YOU aren't there...... There is no hope. :smile:

I just keep hoping they'll depopulate some settlements, because it is easy to keep a settlement with only 2 to 4 people in it happy. Once you get above that point they start wanting things, like real bedrooms. Hell, I had to build TWO donut shops at County Crossing just to give the idiots something to do (my CC is nothing but the world's biggest Slocum's Joe, and enough mutfruit plants to make jelly filling.)

Well, in the Fallout Universe, the human race is going to go extinct, because no one can do anything for themselves. They all need the SS to do it for them. So, ONE guy is responsible for the entire population of the commonwealth. Even if you set up defenses in a settlement, arm/armor all the settlers, set up guard posts, etc, they can STILL lose a fight, because YOU aren't there...... There is no hope. :smile:

I just keep hoping they'll depopulate some settlements, because it is easy to keep a settlement with only 2 to 4 people in it happy. Once you get above that point they start wanting things, like real bedrooms. Hell, I had to build TWO donut shops at County Crossing just to give the idiots something to do (my CC is nothing but the world's biggest Slocum's Joe, and enough mutfruit plants to make jelly filling.)

I have a tendency to do some of the MM quests.... Get the settlement up and running, put up the beacon to complete the quest, then immediately scrap it. Wait for the two settlers to show up, and then move them to some other settlement. :) Generally, I have Sanctuary set up to receive them. Just keeping two or three settlements happy, is MUCH easier than keeping them ALL happy. :D

I have a tendency to do some of the MM quests.... Get the settlement up and running, put up the beacon to complete the quest, then immediately scrap it. Wait for the two settlers to show up, and then move them to some other settlement. :smile: Generally, I have Sanctuary set up to receive them. Just keeping two or three settlements happy, is MUCH easier than keeping them ALL happy. :D

I just started doing that. Had two settlers show up at Jamaica when I'd purposely not built damn thing. I sent them to Sanctuary and then set the one bed on fire so they wouldn't come back :)

I have a tendency to do some of the MM quests.... Get the settlement up and running, put up the beacon to complete the quest, then immediately scrap it. Wait for the two settlers to show up, and then move them to some other settlement. :smile: Generally, I have Sanctuary set up to receive them. Just keeping two or three settlements happy, is MUCH easier than keeping them ALL happy. :D

I just started doing that. Had two settlers show up at Jamaica when I'd purposely not built damn thing. I sent them to Sanctuary and then set the one bed on fire so they wouldn't come back :smile:

I tend to use "unused" settlements for resources for building elsewhere. I use scrap everything, and with the right perks, can still fast travel when over-encumbered. :D So, collect a bunch of stuff from one place, travel to where I need it, dump it in the workshop, and I am all set. :)

I put

[Workshop]
bInfiniteItems=1

in my Fallout4.ini and didn't have to worry about Settlements because I could keep collecting stuff, but building things didn't use any material
It let me ignore all of those ungrateful and whiny settlers completely, and for some reason that Pines settlement always seemed like that one settlement that would flag itself as the settlement that would make me CTD whenever I got close to it

I also never built up Red Rocket by Sanctuary, not once I read about the "Triangle of Death" from having Sanctuary, Red Rocket, and Abernathy Farm so close together

HTR, that sort of thing is why Sim Settlements was created, why PANPC is important and why Preston Garvey is loathed to the point the Thuggyverse sets him up to be slaugtered repeatedly. He's just written badly and so is the role of the vanilla settlement dude. I suspect the Bathysphere was ineptly attempting to impart the sense of agency to the player but it really does come off as laziness.

You know, people fixed Hole In The Wall when became clear Bathysphere was actively rigging the quest to make it impossible to avoid molerat disease.

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about the original OP molerat disease issue for Hole In The Wall before modders stomped on it. Before it was rooted out, not only would you get the disease immediately when bitten by a Molerat, you'd get it if your companion(s) got bitten. You, not them. Fur the luv of Gawd, you'd even get it if you activated the Protectron and sent it ahead when IT got bit. The whole thing was ludicrously rigged to force people to decide whether to have 10% of their max HP removed permanently or consign Austin Engil to death. This is the kind of forced choice situation that made people want to reach through their monitors and try to strangle Odhd Toward with their bare hands. (Nuke all fridges in the middle of nowhere, by the way. Trust me.)

You know, people fixed Hole In The Wall when became clear Bathysphere was actively rigging the quest to make it impossible to avoid molerat disease.

I'm talking about the original OP molerat disease issue for Hole In The Wall before modders stomped on it. Before it was rooted out, not only would you get the disease immediately when bitten by a Molerat, you'd get it if your companion(s) got bitten. You, not them. Fur the luv of Gawd, you'd even get it if you activated the Protectron and sent it ahead when IT got bit. The whole thing was ludicrously rigged to force people to decide whether to have 10% of their max HP removed permanently or consign Austin Engil to death. This is the kind of forced choice situation that made people want to reach through their monitors and try to strangle Odhd Toward with their bare hands. (Nuke all fridges in the middle of nowhere, by the way. Trust me.)

And another reason NOT to use companions......

I actually managed to make it thru the quest without getting infected...... Grenades and automatic weapons worked good. :D

And another reason NOT to use companions......

I actually managed to make it thru the quest without getting infected...... Grenades and automatic weapons worked good. :D

I actually knew the thing about the "Molerat disease bug" in that quest.

And, yes, I also don't use companions (except maybe "the meat of dog" :laugh:).

And an automatic shotgun with a large mag is nice for clearing out those molerats ...

And lots of Jet!