Missing Dependent mod

mailledc

Hello All,

first time in a good deal of time I am looking to mod Fallout 4.

Seems a 3 year old mod is no longer available (modernsidearms.esp,modernfirearms.esp). Ruins a bunch of other mods I wanted to us.

Any advice?

Cheers

Didn't modern sidearms get rolled into modern firearms??

No idea, I don't use it. Fallout 4 is supposed to have a 50's, 60's feel, which means Korean War. No M16, no camouflage, etc. I generally try to stay within that aesthetic.

However, the current version doesn't have a modernsidearms.esp. Just "Modern Firearms.esp". Means it won't work for something requiring the sidearms file.

Wonder if just making a 'dummy' esp file would do the trick.

Doubt it. The dependent mod would be looking for a specific asset from the master. If he only needed one ESP or the other he might be able to get away with just changing the name of the current master file. If he needs both, well, he'll have to hope he can find someone with the old versions of both mods.

This is the problem with massive mods and mod creep. If the author isn't very careful to maintain backwards compatibility they tend to break lots of things. Mods should be like a Linux utility: do one thing and do it well. I keep getting asked if I'm going to combine my series of vault mods into one package. Hell no. It works better for the end user if I keep it as 5 or 6 separate ones, so that if someone wants to use my Vault 75 as a base to do something whoever uses that mod doesn't have to screw up their Vault 95 by downloading more crap from me than they need.

EDIT: I've tried in the past to do a link (shortcut) to try and trick a mod by redirecting to a different ESP, but I couldn't get it to work. But then I don't think I tried creating the link the "correct" way using the console. That might work.

Edited by aurreth