I simply stopped doing everything.

AnishaDawn

Over on the fallout 4 forums, I encountered something that was a bit of a wake up call. I experienced it here too but to a more passive degree.

All my knowledge of the game was derived entirely from testing for fun and diving into the CK. I'm well educated but I have no degrees to show for it, so I've had people undermine the authenticity my knowledge. I'm not a developer and never been in that kind of environment professionally. I don't think spending time in the various RPG Maker games count enough for me to say "I've made a game", but yeah I tried that out.. I have dived in Java, JS, C++, Perl, PHP, HTML, XML, Python, with and Python being the one programming language I've stuck with. It's just a hobby of mine and it just had the added benefit and helping me understand how games/programs work. When I play MMOs for example, I know whats going on with spawns, monster movements, etc. Call it a third eye - I don't need to see the code.

I don't own disassemblers, things that people use in order to present irrefutable proof of their findings, even though this can all be figured out in the CK They use this knowledge they pluck from the game code to obtain reverence and popularity - these types of people always seem to have a nasty "holier than thou" air about them as well. People will take them seriously, while taking people like me less seriously. Honestly that hurts.

To be told that what I know is just an "opinion" is a slap to my face because I have tons of notes both hand written and typed. Lots of math(basic math..I'll get to that), lots of lines of codes, in the thousands, that have been read all in effort in me wanting to know the answer to two of the most daunting questions of mankind: How and why?

Seems the modding community is saturated with CS majors and one-uppers. Math is my weakest point. I rely on basic math to arrive at any solution to a problem that otherwise would be reached by much faster algorithms. It's how I figured out how to get the local positions for objects without having to use SKSE or trignometry. It's not 'pretty' or show off math so it's not taken seriously. I can't even go to a r/Math without people giving off vibes of annoyance because I don't already have a master's degree in mathematics. I've been on my own, self teaching myself everything I know. I hate asking people for help, but I love to offer it because I know how it is to be denied answers. When I see a person's problem on these boards, I think of how I could fix that. Always though, someone comes along to shoot it down.

This is getting a bit long winded..but it's been building up in my head for a long time.

tl;dr: I stopped playing. I stopped modding. I just uninstalled it all. My knowledge is worthless. I'm not smart enough.

Whenever you place merit on someone else’s opinion over your experience, you are inevitably going to be dissatisfied.
Don’t seek or even care what others you don’t even know think, and your life will be much happier.

Edited by Gunslinger808

You don't need to be clever or do amazing things to have good content. Your products may not be as amazing as those from some other users but if it's enough to bridge mods or fix specific problems, people will be able to enjoy it. I've got less knowledge than you in these things, I simply opened up an editor, added a few things to a list, and submitted it, and got a bunch of endorsements for it. Don't bother responding to the holier-than-thou jerks who try to accuse your work of being false just because you don't have pretty formula to show off (If anything, them not understanding the basic math makes their statements look faker, like they're making up a formula and pretending it's real and solves things--or else having somebody else do the math and claiming credit for it)

It's really hard not to take criticism to heart, and it takes solid confidence in yourself to be able to tell someone, "Go take a long walk off a short pier." Especially in the modding world, people seem to forget that we all start at the same place -- knowing absolutely nothing. All of the modding knowledge we gain comes from outside sources or from simply tinkering around to see what does which. I've looked things up on the 'net, asked on forums, talked in chats, read lots of readme files and pored over mod descriptions. I'm still learning. I couldn't script my way out of a paper bag, so I respect those who've undertaken to unlock its mysteries. I can't make meshes or textures, so I really appreciate the work of those who can do such things.

I've only published three little mods, and one of them was a compilation of the other two. I make characters for Skyrim, and I make a lot of them. So, I published two little preset mods. My screenshots are crap because I was playing on an abacus, so I got a rude comment or two. "Don't like it? Don't use it, but keep your mouth shut." If someone doesn't like your advice, they're free to ignore it. If someone gets rude, report them. Arrogance and stupidity abound, all too often in the same place, but that really reflects more on the person taking your work apart than it does on your work itself. Also, people will lie. They will tell you they have such and such degree or they've been doing so and so for years. What they claim may or may not be true.

After you've taken a break, if you feel like returning to modding, then do so. Everyone else can go hang. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped playing. I stopped modding. I just uninstalled it all. My knowledge is worthless. I'm not smart enough.

At least you have not reported eating worms and that counts for something! Relax and unwind. Just because you have met resistance is no reason to declare yourself worthless or stop puttering around with games. Best wishes.