Skyrim Wont Startup After Pasting Enbseries.ini Preset From Download

Griffindore98

I have recently gotten Skyrim and have been trying out ENB's, I got Sharpshooters Extreme Graphics Vision ENB (original) for a first one as it seemed the most generic. The first one (original) worked fine with the files from the Enbseries (v0102) and the enbseries.ini preset. I then decided to download V3 of the same ENB and unfortunately, no success. As soon as I start up the launcher it instantly crashes. I have tried running it as administrator, which allows me to bring up the startup screen but as soon as I click play the window pops up for a second and then crashes. If I delete the preset from Sharpshooter and put the enbseries.ini v0170 instead, it works fine but I don't have any of the cool effects that the ENB has to offer. I have put the d3d9.dll and everything else that you need to do, i have uninstalled and re installed multiple times but nothing works, its just that damn enbseries.ini from the preset download. Also, it doesnt seem to autodetect the graphics adapter and if i set forcefakevideocard=true it will detect it but the game still crashes, I have looked everywhere and fiddled with the settings and files but no help. One person on a different site made a thread about what seemed like the exact thing and he said he eventually solved it by fiddling with it but he didn't say how, if anyone could help me with this i would be extremely grateful.

Here are my specs

Intel Core i7 2600k

Geforce GTX 660 Ti

8 Gb Ram

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Gigabyte GA Z77X UD5H

Edited by Griffindore98

Have you downloaded the new d3d9.dll ?

The orginal works with binary 0.102, the version 3 works with 0.170. Also you have to change all files (0170 is fundamentally different than 0102, I mean - seriously very different), not just the ini. If 0.170 wrapper doesnt work for you (can happen) see if you can use the Injector version (follow instructions for installing it, it's not the same 'copy-paste' action). Make sure you are not running applications like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision. Inside the enbseries.ini I see this;

[GLOBAL]
AdditionalConfigFile=enbseries2.ini
UseEffect=true

However this file does not exist anywhere in that ENB. Other than that I have went through it, and there is nothing weird or out-of-place looking in there.

I just checked, 0170 is not available on the ENB website, so I dont think you have the correct file. The ENB author has removed the download. I suppose you can use 0172.

Thank you for the reply, but yes i have been changing the d3d9.dll everytime i download a new one, and i have tried injector but the same thing still happens. I have also tried to install Project ENB and still the same issue. The ENB version for this one is 0119 and yet no difference. It will work fine if i take the enbseries.ini from the ENB series 0119 folder but if I try and use the preset It just crashes, there is probably a setting in there preventing me from starting up but there is so many options in there i dont know where to start. I stopped trying with sharshooters due to the fact that the correct download doesnt exist for 0170 and moved on to Project ENB. Can you think of anything else? Normally im good at figuring this stuff out so im stumped. Again thanks for the reply!

Edited by Griffindore98

Those ini files generally point to a proxy library at the top... see if you can disable that to try, tho it wont load completely in that case, but maybe it doesnt crash (it's a start, right)... if that works than check if everything related to the proxy is setup correctly. This is generally another injector like SweetFX, which also comes with a dll and settings

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=

Works! Thank you! But i'm assuming that like you said, all the effects that can be offered wont all work. But correct me if that's not true. It still isint showing my graphics adapter as ENB, unless i set forcefakevideocard to true, but that im guessing doesn't mean anything because you are forcing it to show up as something fake. I have put the ini's side by side to compare the files and change things to match the v0119 from enbseries website, I haven't changed every setting only changed some that would seem to have something to do with the issue but no change. Unless I have to change multiple values at the same time but there are so many combinations if that's the case. I would go through and try and change all of the settings one by one and back again but it would be very time consuming and if it didn't work i would've just wasted a bunch of time. It still looks pretty nice by putting in EnableProxyLibrary=false but that way im not reaching its full potential. You've helped a lot so far, any other ideas?

So in the proxy, what does it say? There should be a file it points to, do you have that file and all the other files belonging to it?

I think it comes with SweetFX

sweetfx_d3d9.dll (or whatever the name is! - you can see in enbseries.ini the proxy .dll name)
d3d9.fx
dxgi.dll
dxgi.fx
injector.ini
SweetFX readme.txt
SweetFX_preset.txt
SweetFX_settings.txt

Folder: Skyrim\SweetFX with inside a bunch of shader files

The proxy says d3d9injFX.dll, but I dont think you need the injector because when i put the sweetfx folder in (Which i swear i have done many times before) all of a sudden it worked, without changing the proxy to false, but the graphics adapter still doesn't show up as ENB, (im using project ENB now btw) and im pretty sure it should, so i still dont think im getting the full package, (unless sometimes it doesnt need to be set as ENB so tell me if not) I could probably compare from the pictures from the mod post and compare it to mine, but if theres an easier way, or i already know because of the graphics adapter not being ENB. but anyways, apparently if i have the sweetfx in the folder, it works all of a sudden but i think i might just be getting the sweetfx part. Its weird though because i had done that 50 times already before that but if theres anything else you can think of, once again it would be great!

Graphic adapters never show up as "ENB" ... when it's active you should see a message in upper left corner in Skyrim stating the ENB version and details. That means it's loaded.

Your skyrim folder regarding SweetFX should look like

Skyrim\..all your normal skyrim folders, like Data

Skyrim\SweetFX\ ... sweetfx files (not the dll) - the files with extension .h

Skyrim\ ini/settings.txt and the .dll for sweetFX: d3d9injFX.dll

• 3 weeks later...

With the original sharpshooters ENB it did show up as ENB, and also sorry I haven't replied for a while, I started to play other games and just completely forgot about this post so i guess i don't really deserve your help anymore, unless of course you are still willing but anyways, thank you so much for all the help you have given so far, i don't think the ENB looks as good as it could but it sure as hell looks a lot better. Right now i think i might be only running sweetfx because skyrim only works if i put in d3d9injFX.dll and i just want the ENB by itself and i think the file for that is d3d9.dll (correct me if im wrong) so all i want to know at this point is if im just running sweetfx or not, or anything else you can think of that might help and once again, thanks!

EDIT: Could all these problems be happening simply because im not running directX 11?

Edited by Griffindore98

The thing is, if you download an ENB that uses SweetFX you shouldnt run it without because SweetFX in itself also modifies colors and so on. So both of them used together is what the mod author created... disabling one of them will not give you a good result.

If you want you can download "Project ENB" it's has options without the SweetFX suite and since it uses binary 0.119 you can use hardware AA together with it as well (newer versions do not support this). It's a bit heavier on the system though, than Sharpshooter.

And no, Skyrim is DX9, ENB is DX9, so.. the file is called d3d9.dll, right, not d3d10, or 11 :)