CTD when killing enemy with power attack

welsher

So for seemingly no reason my Skyrim has decided to crash to desktop without any form of error message when I kill an enemy with a power attack.

This doesn't happen every time I kill an enemy with a power attack - I can play for hours with no issues, but power attacks arbitrarily cause the game to crash. I have searched around on Google and used the filter on the iste but I couldn't find this precise issue.

I have 115 mods installed (many of these plugins are just multiple ESPs for the same mod, like SkyRe and, UFO, RND etc) and I personally singled out ones I thought could be causing this issue but I can't seem to pin point it. At first I thought it was a mod called Deadly Mutilation but I removed that and the issue seems to persist. I'm thinking it's just a VRAM issue but I am not tech savvy at all so I couldn't confirm that - I don't know whether this issue is indicative of a VRAM problem.

Here's my mod list;

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
JSwords.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
SPIKE.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
FixedEyeAdaption.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
better dynamic snow.esp
Morning Fogs.esp
Supreme Storms.esp
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
Further Dark Dungeons for ENB.esp
Dark Dungeons for Dawnguard.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
hqsnow.esp
Immersive Brigands.esp
Immersive Dawnguard.esp
Immersive Dragonborn.esp
Immersive Factions.esp
Immersive Mercenaries.esp
Immersive Patrols.esp
Immersive Travelers.esp
Immersive Werewolves.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
Book Covers Dawnguard.esp
Book Covers Hearthfire.esp
real glaciers.esp
StormcloakArmorVarietyOPTION1.esp
Footprints.esp
Footprints - Ash.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
SkyUI.esp
iHUD.esp
Black Mage Armor.esp
Cloaks.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
1nivWICCloaks.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp
MageBackpack_byTumbajamba.esp
nordicrangerarmor.esp
RobedSteelPlateArmor.esp
SkaalHeavyArmor.esp
dr_bandolier.esp
dr_bandolierdg.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
SkyRe_Combat.esp
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp
SkyRe_Survivalism.esp
Hearthfire Cheat Chests.esp
Immersive Events.esp
PumpingIron.esp
Solitude Military Enhancement.esp
WindhelmMilitaryEnhancement.esp
AchieveThat.esp
dynamic fires.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Headtracking.esp
LegionArmorVariety.esp
OpenFaceGuardHelmets.esp
PalistovSpinningArrows.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
Spells Cast Light.esp
Helgen Reborn.esp
RealisticRoomRental.esp
RRR_Hearthfire-Patch.esp
sos - the dungeons.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
sos - civilization.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - NoTaverns.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
dd - realistic ragdoll force - realistic.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp
RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp
RND_Dragonborn-Patch.esp
SSAPBWK.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
dovahkiinrelax.esp
The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
HothFollower.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp
UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp
SkyRe_Races.esp
TTYM - Think to Yourself Messages.esp
TTYM - Frostfall Module.esp
purewaters.esp
RND_PureWaters-Patch.esp
kerplunk.esp
ReProccer.esp
AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp
Dark Dungeons for Dragonborn.esp
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ERSO 30 - Better Enemy AI Dawnguard&Dragonborn.esp
HarvestingAnimation.esp
Flowing Cape.esp
BoundArmors.esp

As you can see i'm using quite a few graphical mods (I am using an ENB too) so this makes me think it's a VRAM issue especially considering my GPU is only a 460 with 750 something mb of VRAM.
Aside from this issue my game seems perfectly stable, running at a constant 40 fps (50 - 60 indoors). It is strange though how it just suddenly started happening yesterday (I thought it was a one off at first - it's only today that i've noticed it's persistence and tested it). I can't think of any mods I might've installed that would change that but here are some of the more recent installs;
Flowing Cape.esp (today)
BoundArmors.esp (today)
HothFollower.esp (yesterday)
Spells Cast Light (today)
SkaalHeavyArmor.esp (today)
Specs:
8GB RAM
i7 2600k @ 3.4 Ghz
GeForce GTX 460
Thanks in advance.
Edited by welsher

• 4 weeks later...

Wow I just got the same issue. From what I can tell, this is caused by Enhance AI. No idea why but I guess every time I do a power move to finish off a enemy that has a two handed weapon it causes a CTD for me. I'm not good with talking to mod authors since I know their always busy doing something. If you could bring this to his attention he might have a solution for it.

It has to be it. I save in the middle of combat to test this theory. Every time I use a power attack on a two handed weapon enemy (it seems to be the iron battle-axe) I get a instant crash to desktop, even if I'm out in skyrim or in a dungeon. I uninstalled Enhance AI and my game never crashes. I have tested this out multiple times. If you want me to prove it I well make a video on it. I only have two combat mods, and from what I've read they work great together. That is Enhance enemy AI and Deadly combat. I love this combination., it makes Skyrim so much fun, challenging and interesting. I fully respect erkell for creating this awesome mod. I well not play Skyrim without it. (or just find a one kind of like it lol)

so if you have any ideas to what other mods may conflict with this let me know.

There shouldnt be anything conflicting with it... but just to be sure, always try and load AI related mods very low in your load order. I would actually suggest to load all AI related changes at the very end due to the sensitivity and game breaking potential of them. Also Enhanced Enemy AI should be loaded last. It's a very clean mod so it should not cause issues to stuff loaded before it. It uses no scripts whatsoever. If you have NPC related mods, you should definitely not load those after the AI's.

You can see in tes5edit it is really only changing timings of enemy attacks, so they don't stand around looking at you being staggered, but simply try and beat the crap out of you as hard and often as they can.

But taking your word for it... if it does cause the CTD, you'll need to PM the author with as much information as you can (perhaps video wouldn't be that bad) and have him look into it, in more detail. He should know exactly (wait, that's not possible for anyone to know 35k mods) more or less how his mod interacts with other mods, or what other changes can cause the mod to CTD.

Maybe it's a Performance issue. Too many mods overload my game which overloads my computer. Don't know why that would happen though since I have a beast PC I think anyway

AMD FX4100

12GB of RAM

GTX 660 TI Graphics card.

I just did some computer maintenance to best I could get it but I still get some performance issues here and there.

• 7 months later...

I have the same problem, CTD while attacking NPCs with two handed weapon.. happens when i sneak behind them and try to assassinate them, but i don't have Enhance AI :X

To anyone having this problem ( i don't) it would help everyone if you ALL post your load orders as mods NOT in common get ruled out you will all get closer to the mod or combination OF mods that cause this...just sayin.... To the OP ...if i had this problem and your list i would tries these first...

dd - realistic ragdoll force - realistic.esp

The Dance of Death - Ultimate Edition.esp

dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp

Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp

And or any Skeleton mods.

Heck it could be a mod like Achieve That! it has>>>Disarm a specified number of times,. as an Achievement. Not saying that's in any way the culprit...just sayin ya never know.

It can be a ton of things. Best bet since this IS something you can test for. Drop half your mods..test, if still doing it your half the way to finding the Mod! Remove another Half. Rinse and repeat...this is the old way of doing it and it works. As long as your mods get enabled again their is no issue with the Scripts...only uninstalling a mod gives problems.

EDIT:MAN i keep falling for these necro threads.....sigh

Edited by camaro_69_327