Preventing Crashes to Desktop

Baphomet

It happens to everyone… it’s the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) of The Elder Scrolls… the dreaded crash to desktop or CTD. Frustrating as all get out.

To help prevent them, try the following.

First and foremost download the Morrowind Frame-Rate Optimizer. It’s available in a lot of places but you can also find it here:

http://morrowind.nm.ru/Morrowind%20FPS%20Optimizer/

Use one of the many tweak guides available… there are several, but one of the best can be found here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dTyp...e=guide&dId=316

Other suggestions:

Update your video card drivers.

Keep your hard drive cleaned and defragmented. Run Scandisk every so often.

Eliminate unnecessary programs at startup by shutting them down from your taskbar, or using MSCONFIG and disabling them.

Using the options menu in Morrowind (hit “Escape” during game play, or select “Options” from the splash-screen when starting Morrowind), make some or all of the following adjustments:

Under the Video Tab

Turn “Off” Real Time Shadows

Adjust your View Distance to around 75%.

Set the games resolution to match that of your desktop (if that doesn’t work, try dropping your games resolution down a notch. Playing Morrowind at 600x800 is not my idea of the ideal situation, but each step down in resolution represents a major workload taken off your video card’s memory and GPU).

Under the Audio Tab

If you have a decent sound card, use “Hardware Accelerated” instead of “Software Mode”.

If you’ve tried all of these suggestions and nothing seems to help, it might be time to consider a new video card or a new computer. What better reason is there than a better Morrowind experience, right?

Game on!

~ Baphomet

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention that if you have problems with game "lockups" that still allow you to give a three-fingered salute successfully, but not much else, it may be because of Dr. Watson. For those that don't know, the sole purpose of this program is to activate itself whenever a program crashes and rub it in your face. If you try to delete it, Windows replaces it with TWO Dr. Watsons. If you try to hack it in two with a hex editor, Windows rebuilds it. Then Windows makes it better, stronger, and faster. It has the technology, believe me. It wasn't called Windows NEW TECHNOLOGY 5.0 because it was a cool name.

Er... Anyways... To disable Dr. Watson, all you have to do is delete the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug. For those that don't know how to do this, you need to open a "Run..." dialogue box and type "Regedit." Then press run. The application that runs is similar to that old-timey double-paned explorer. Click the "+" icon next to the words "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" in the left panel, and a few folder icons should show up, along with several "+" symbols. Click the "+" symbol next to "Software," and scroll down to "Microsoft." Click the "+" icon by that, and then "Windows NT" and "CurrentVersion" in that exact order as they show up. Left-Click on the folder icon next to "Aedebug," then right-click that same icon and choose "Delete" on the menu that comes up. Why left-click it first? Well, you DO want watch that little semi-viral program as it dies, don't you?

Right... And if you ever want to enable the program again, just run Dr. Watson from the system32 directory with the -i option. For all of you non-comprending-persons out there, that means to open the "Run..." dialogue box once more and type "Drwtsn32 -i" at the prompt. Then press run.

• 2 weeks later...

LoL. I usually end up in this situation. OOOPS.... Been playing for 2 hours and havnt saved. Better save then... *Crash* Totally hate it. Works the same for the CS... :( Still, havent had a crash in six months now :)

I really think this topic will help pepole, and also get rid of many similar posts. Thanks!

something ive been noticing recently, moving items 2 ur inventory with the inventory displayed (clicking and dropping them into ur inventory instead of using space) will cause a CTD. also picking up books using space (opening them, clicking take, opening them, etc) in rapid succession causes CTDs. very irritating <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Heya new member here (Switch referred me :P no wonder since he is a Mod eh?) got some SERIOUS problems with CTD's :( tried that Tweaking guide by Baphomet , tried making my computer run more on speed and such and cutting down on graphics (yuck) No help :( I can get into the game and within 10-40 secs it CTD's or just reboots my system and I have tried with that FPS improver still no good.. When I install it on my brothers and my dads computer it runs without a fuss but on mine? Crashes all the time and I am beginning to get frustated

and I defragged my harddrive just the night before...

here is my Specs and I have added my Ini file so you (hopefully) can tell me what I should do to play Morrowind!!

Video Card: GeForce4Ti PALITDAYTONA

RAM 512 SD Ram PC133

Motherboard: Soltek SL75KAV 1200 MHz

Soundcard: Soundblaster Live! Player 5.1

Harddrive 1: IBM-DTLA-305020

Harddrive 2: Maxtor 4R080J0

CD-ROM: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-104

and I got all the newest drivers...

So any advice? or do I just need to buy the same motherboard/CPU as my dad? :rolleyes: