Hi all, i'm new to this site. I have a problem with a mod i'm working on for Oblivion, and that is i'd like to have custom music (1 track) assigned to individual cells (so ONLY theme A plays when you enter house A). This has been the most problematic situation I've run into so far.

I've tried experimenting with the Better Music System mod and for the life of me I can't get it to run properly. It worked at first but now i'm having a bunch of problems with crashing etc. I spent a while checking if anything was out of place and everything seemed fine, to the point where I got frustrated and deleted it off my computer. I also tried experimenting by using one of the sound emitters in construction kit, and assigned a track as a .wav which would work perfectly if the conversations and menu didn't disrupt playback.

Doe's anybody know if it's possible to do this, via scripting or other means? If better music system really is the only way to do it I will have to give it another go.

Thanks all.

The Viking.

I take that back, it worked for the most part, but i'm now having the issue of the music playing when I leave the cell, too. I followed the script in the last post of this topic:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/404490-streammusic-question/&do=findComment&comment=8263610

Everything is working fine apart from the music not-stopping when I leave my interior cell. I'm using a trigzone and StreamMusic for the script. Is there a simple function like stopmusic or whatever that could run on a GetInCell function?

Here is my script:

SCN 1tomsmusic1
begin OnTrigger
float timer
short playonce
if ( playonce == 0 )
streammusic "data\music\public\Crassictown2.0.esp\Bulb1.wav"
set playonce to 1
endif
if ( playonce == 1 )
set timer to ( timer + getsecondspassed )
if ( timer >= 120 )
set playonce to 0
set timer to 0
endif
endif
end

Cheer guys

You have your check inside the OnTrigger. That is no good, as it will not update. You need to use a GameMode block, or better still have your check in a separate quest script. Try this (not tested):

SCN 1tomsmusic1

float timer
short playonce

begin OnTrigger

if ( playonce == 0 )
		streammusic "data\music\public\Crassictown2.0.esp\Bulb1.wav"
		set playonce to 1
	endif

End

Begin GameMode

if ( playonce == 1 )
		set timer to ( timer + getsecondspassed )
		if ( timer >= 120 )
			set playonce to 0
			set timer to 0
		endif
	endif

end 

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i've still got the same issue with that script. There is currently no other tracks in the 3 standalone folders or any other TrigZone boxes at my mod location, could this possibly make a difference? If I have the check in a different script and attach it to a quest, what would I need to reference the first part of the script (or would I not need to?)

Sorry for all these different questions, this whole thing is just confusing me alot!

Many thanks

Why don't you set up your music as looping sound fx (wav) in the CS, place them into the cells initially disabled, then have a very simple script that enables them when the player enters the cell? Something like this:

SCN 1tomsmusic1

Begin GameMode

;Assuming your sound fx has a persistent reference of Bulb1REF
    If ( Player.GetInSameCell Bulb1REF == 1 )
        Bulb1REF.Enable
    Else
        Bulb1REF.Disable
    EndIf

End

Set the attenuation of the sound effects item as you like, but have all the other check boxes unchecked.

Thanks again, that's worked for me, the music now starts when entering the cell and exiting, I'm left with 1 last problem: the music will stop in the cell as soon as you get the menu up or talk to an NPC, and resume after exiting the convo or menu. Is it possible to have it playing during conversation or when on the menu? the previous script with a timer worked in that respect (guessing maybe something to do with streammusic?).

I have tried checking/unchecking a few of the boxes and can't seem to figure out how to bypass this. If you can't then i'll have to make do, however i'd really like the music to be playing in conversation.

Thanks

I don't have Oblivion installed currently, so I can't check. But I believe it's having the 2D box checked that makes the music stop when you access a menu. I had this same problem when trying to perfect the guitar music in our Highwood mod. There is no (non-OBSE) perfect music solution, at least that I found.