Creating NPC custom dialogue from existing files

I would like to create custom dialogue for an NPC - vanilla follower. I would redo some existing dialogue, and add new depending on the situation (such as vanilla quests).

I would use the game resources for this - existing dialogue files of various other NPCs who share the same voice actor.

I also want to expand/rework that NPC's idle comments.

How do I do this? The only thing I know is that I need Audacity, besides CK itself. I've downloaded that audio tool, but I might need additional plugins and I don't know which.

Are there modders here who have successfully altered/expanded NPC dialogue who'd be willing to help me out with some guidance?

This program worked for me.

Voice File Reference Tool 2 at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

I extracted Voices.BSA to my desktop and copied the VFRT.exe into that folder and made a desktop shortcut to the exe. That way you can find suitable lines and their file names. When you find the file you want copy it to your desktop . Then make dialog with your voice saying the lines. Get the file name for the voice file you just made, rename the file on your desktop to that then in you mod's Voices folder replace the generated file with the one from your desktop. It's been a while since I've done this but that at least is approximately how I did it.

Thank you for this suggestion! I'll try and see how it goes. :thumbsup:

I was also looking for guidance in making quest-related (vanilla quests) new dialogue, as in how to implement this in CK. Are scripts involved?

Are you just looking to take existing lines of the same voice type and apply them to quest dialog, or take the lines apart and make them say something different entirely.

I have no doubt you'd be an excellent voice actor :laugh: :whistling:

But even if you could do it, for this particular follower I need his vanilla voice because it fits his personality - or at least the personality I'm going to expand.

I want to take existing lines apart, mix them into something suitable and sensible, and implement them as new dialogue and idle comments during vanilla quests and occurrences. You know, some meaningful moments when you expect your follower would speak their mind about something or ask an important question. Especially a follower who is considerably intelligent and has a distinct personality. (and isn't just a brainless construct who gets stuck in corners, blocks passage and ruins your momentum in combat, which is a staple of vanilla Skyrim followers)

I understand. I'll have to go back and look, but I saw mention of a program to do that, on one of Arthmoor's mods (comment section.) I'll post what I find, if I am able to locate that particular comment again. In the meantime, you might reach out to WSkeever, the author of the Penitus Oculatus mod. He may have some advice, as I believe Maro's voice is spliced in that mod.

:D Thank you. I gave it a shot recently. They said I did ok, but I thought I sounded like a Tamrielic accountant.

It would be awesome to hear you perform in a mod!

I'd like to give it a shot too, but I don't have the equipment (soundproof room, quality mic...) I used to be a singer in a rock/metal band, I don't know if that describes my voice properly.

And thank you for the suggestion, I'll reach out to WSkeever.