TES5Edit Mod Merging

vfxninjaeditor

Hey,

I am in need of help. I have read MTichenor's post on mod merging with TES5Edit (http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/904953-how-to-merge-multiple-mods-with-multiple-master-files/)

This was created awhile back and newer versions of TES5Edit have been released. Could anyone supply a new tutorial with the newer version? I am still learning. A video tutorial would be awesome.

I am currently wanting to merge the 14 esp files from 'Immersive Settlements' mod. 14 plugins is just way to much for my tastes.

Aside from making custom compatibility patches or if you are nearing the 255 plugin cap, there is no reason to merge mod plugins, because in the absence of those reasons there is absolutely nothing gained from merging plugins.

Edited by ripple

Aside from making custom compatibility patches or if you are nearing the 255 plugin cap, there is no reason to merge mod plugins, because in the absence of those reasons there is absolutely nothing gained from merging plugins.

Thank you for replying. Those are exactly the reasons why I asked the question. I need to make my own patches and I also want to keep a lower number of esp files. I like it to be tidy. I don't really like the idea of having 14 plugins from one mod because the author hasn't merged them yet. The particular author says the plugins won't be merged till the v1.00 release which is awhile away.

A good example of the type of merging I would like to know: Your mod 'Inconsequential NPCs' (brilliant btw) has one main plugin and the optional file. Because I want to keep my list of plugins compact, it would be great to be able to combine them on my own. That is the gist of my request for help/tutorial.

Thank you for replying. Those are exactly the reasons why I asked the question. I need to make my own patches and I also want to keep a lower number of esp files. I like it to be tidy. I don't really like the idea of having 14 plugins from one mod because the author hasn't merged them yet. The particular author says the plugins won't be merged till the v1.00 release which is awhile away.

A good example of the type of merging I would like to know: Your mod 'Inconsequential NPCs' (brilliant btw) has one main plugin and the optional file. Because I want to keep my list of plugins compact, it would be great to be able to combine them on my own. That is the gist of my request for help/tutorial.

If for compatibility patches, you only need to copy the specific conflicting records as 'override' into your compatibility patch plugin (or plugins, if you make them modular, as I do), so you don't actually need to merge the mods. But merging mods, even mods or mod modules by the same author, is just...a bad idea in general. For example, in the case of 'Inconsequential NPCs', the base mod and the 'Enhancement Module' will be updated separately. If you merge them, every time I update either one, you will have to re-merge them again (which is not an automated process, but need to be done manually). That is really more trouble than it's worth....

Merging plugins won't improve your game performance in the slightest. It will not noticeably improve your game start-up loading time. Unless you are really nearing the 255 plugin cap, I highly advise just leaving things be. If you want, you can select 'ok' to 'these plugins can be merged into the Bashed Patch' when you use Wrye Bash to generate a Bashed Patch. Wrye Bash will be able to detect and merge plugins that make minimal edits into the Bashed Patch and disable those plugins, which should clear up a least a bit of space.

Edited by ripple

If for compatibility patches, you only need to copy the specific conflicting records as 'override' into your compatibility patch plugin (or plugins, if you make them modular, as I do), so you don't actually need to merge the mods. But merging mods, even mods or mod modules by the same author, is just...a bad idea in general. For example, in the case of 'Inconsequential NPCs', the base mod and the 'Enhancement Module' will be updated separately. If you merge them, every time I update either one, you will have to re-merge them again (which is not an automated process, but need to be done manually). That is really more trouble than it's worth....

Merging plugins won't improve your game performance in the slightest. It will not noticeably improve your game start-up loading time. Unless you are really nearing the 255 plugin cap, I highly advise just leaving things be. If you want, you can select 'ok' to 'these plugins can be merged into the Bashed Patch' when you use Wrye Bash to generate a Bashed Patch. Wrye Bash will be able to detect and merge plugins that make minimal edits into the Bashed Patch and disable those plugins, which should clear up a least a bit of space.

You might be missing my point. It doesn't really matter why I would like to know how to merge mods, I would just like to know. Whatever way I choose to use the knowledge is up to me, and if I fudge up my game because I don't think it will be my fault.

I know it doesn't improve my games performance. I never said it did. Although, I happen to be one of those guys who eventually gets closer and closer to 255 plugins as I play my game. All in all, it will be helpful knowledge.

If you don't want to help me, no problem. I was just asking for help.

• 2 weeks later...

The process remains the same for mod merging, so an updated tutorial would be pointless. Doesn't matter which version of TESVEdit you use, the process for merging is the same.

• 9 months later...

I'd recommend to someone that is capable of removing this thread please, in fact, remove it. I was just searching for similar information as the OP was about a year ago and the only reply comes from an idiot that wants to mislead and provide irrelevant information. Removing this thread would expedite individuals looking for actually useful information on TESVedit more easily.