DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Memory Type: GDDR5
Memory Size: 1024Mb
The memory listed above is from GPU-Z readings. According to DxDiag:
Display Memory: 2770 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Acer X223W
Monitor Model: X223W

In addition, I have 20 gigs, between two flash drives, dedicated to boosting my system. Only the 4 gig drive is being used fully, though.

error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[alias Boss on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.MakeAllies() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 19
[alias Boss on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.OnUpdate() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 12
[06/19/2013 - 08:52:55PM] error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[alias Thief on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.MakeAllies() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 19
[alias Thief on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.OnUpdate() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 12
[06/19/2013 - 08:52:58PM] error: Object reference has no 3D
stack:
[ (290A636D)].Sound.Play() - "<native>" Line ?
[ (2A038413)].SIC_CliffracerScript.OnUpdate() - "SIC_CliffracerScript.psc" Line 43
[06/19/2013 - 08:52:58PM] error: Object reference has no 3D
stack:
[ (2A038415)].SIC_CliffracerScript.OnUpdate() - "SIC_CliffracerScript.psc" Line 43
[06/19/2013 - 08:53:10PM] error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[alias Boss on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.MakeAllies() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 19
[alias Boss on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.OnUpdate() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 12
[06/19/2013 - 08:53:10PM] error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[alias Thief on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.MakeAllies() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 19
[alias Thief on quest _SAGApprenticeofThuUmQuest (DD000D62)]._SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.OnUpdate() - "_SAGMakeMeAnAllyScript.psc" Line 12
[06/19/2013 - 08:53:13PM] error: Object reference has no 3D
stack:
[ (2A038415)].SIC_CliffracerScript.OnUpdate() - "SIC_CliffracerScript.psc" Line 43
[06/19/2013 - 08:53:22PM] error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[06/19/2013 - 08:53:22PM] error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[06/19/2013 - 08:53:32PM] error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[06/19/2013 - 08:53:32PM] error: Cannot call SetRelationshipRank() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:

I'm not maxing out my memory, or vram, or cpu, according to GPU-Z and my task manager. I've already set my ini to allow extra time for scripts, gotten Hialgoboost, and used the texture optimizer. Every texture replacer I have is the lowest option provided. I'm using CoT, but no other lighting mods, and no ENB. I have BOSS with user rules for any unrecognized plugins, Wrye Bash with a bashed patch, I've cleaned every mod I'm confident with in TES5Edit. I've gotten every relevant compatibility patch I'm aware of. I'm using SUM to handle my three reproccers, and the FNIS tool when I play with animation mods.

First and foremost, I struggle when approaching cities. I was freezing before, but ever since fiddling with my mods, I've been able to get closer. Usually, I still crash if I get too close to a city, though. Quite by chance, I found out that Arthmoor is having a similar issue. This means it's almost certainly due to Open Cities, but if not, it'd be good to know.

Almost tied for disruptiveness, a fair portion of the time, saves made outside don't load. Sometimes if I try to load it a second time, it works, other times the save is unusable. This is without fiddling with anything between making the save and trying to load it. The saves don't freeze or CTD, I just get a black screen when it 'finishes' loading. Audio continues, despite the black screen, but gameplay does not seem to. It's all ambient noise, like water flow, and music.

This issue I've made a post about before, but I'm still unable to find the source, and that thread never got a response. I've got a popup with the word "SWAG" and nothing else every time I start a new character. Even going through my mods in TES5Edit I can't seem to find the source... I've also force-crashed and checked my log. At this point, I'm wondering if the popup is induced by a script. If anyone knows what mod causes this, you would have my thanks and kudos!

When using Dovahkiin and the Apprentice of Thu'um, I get crashes when on Solstheim. I thought this might be an conflict between Arthmoor's Alternate Start: Live Another Life, and the quest, but I'm not sure. I only encountered the issue when starting on Solstheim with a new character, but I've not been to Solstheim on a pre-existing character since getting Dovahkiin and the Apprentice of Thu'um. Currently, I've uninstalled the quest mod, and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm or deny encountering this issue? I'm using the DG + DB variation of the quest, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Lastly I had an issue which I solved recently, in case anyone else is using Dual Sheath Redux having that same issue, this might help. My left hand sheaths, and shield when I had it sheathed on my back, would float between my legs in first person. Example of the issue shown here: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/images/254638/?

This issue, for me, was a conflict between SkyRe and Dual Sheath Redux. Disabling the SkyRe races module solved the issue immediately. However, I'm unsure if the problem resulted from DSR, SkyRe, or xp32 Maximum Skeleton: it could have been a conflict between any combination of those.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. If you can help with any or all of these issues, that'd be great! If you find this post helpful in your own troubleshooting, I'm glad to be of service :wink:

'Open Cities' is very taxing on the game engine and your system. It reproduces all of Whiterun's city zones in the the worldspace so they are all being rendered when you are in the Whiterun worldspace location. One of the reasons why cities since Oblivion have been 'separated' from the worldspace into different cells is precisely to mitigate any performance or stability issues that might result from 'too many things being managed.' CTDs and lag in the Whiterun worldspace location are all indications that your system may not able to handle 'Open Cities' as well as you'd like.

Edited by ripple

I understand that, but shouldn't there be some observable strain on my system before the crashes? I mean, if I'm monitoring cpu, memory, and gpu load, shouldn't I be able to see them capping out as I approach a city? If not, then it probably is just my system hitting its limits. Otherwise, I don't think that is the issue by itself, although it's certainly contributing.

The problem is that a combination of mods with 'Open Cities' is taxing the limits of the game engine (which you have to remember is intended to run on consoles, not customized gaming PCs with heavy load orders), not just your system, so even if you have a powerful enough rig, it will at best mitigate but not prevent these sorts of 'Game Engine to user: I give up' CTDs (and as a result there may be no clear indications from your monitoring utilities).

Users have been trying to figure how far the various incarnations of Bethesda's Gamebryo based engines can be pushed since Oblivion. I've had a particular interest in this because given how depopulated Elder Scroll worlds have been since Oblivion, I wanted to know just how many NPC mods can be added to make the world seem like it's actually had a 'population.' 'Open Cities' for Oblivion also manifested these sorts of issues for some users. But so did other mods of 'similar method of implementation' like 'The Strip Opened' for Fallout New Vegas (which 'merged' three separate cells of the Vegas Strip into one). But no one has discovered any 'universal' rules like 'if you have 100 NPCs in an encounter zone, the game will CTD' (although there is a cap on how many active AIs that can be rendered on screen). The only thing that has been confirmed through sheer experience is that in general, more 'stuff' that is added to the worldspace will incrementally make the worldspace more unstable (and technically speaking, 'Open Cities' is adding more stuff, a lot more stuff, to the worldspace). Adding stuff to city worlds/spaces seems to take less of a toll, and those resources are not loaded into memory until you transition into the cities--which is not the case for 'Open Cities' users.

I can't help with the Dragonborn DLC issues because I haven't played that DLC yet.

The "SWAG" message. Is it a normal message displayed on the top left corner of the screen, or an actual pop-up box?

Edited by ripple

Alright, I was hoping it isn't the game engine, but if that's the case I'm going to have to drop something. Now to find something with high strain and little value to me...

The message is a popup. I have to hit "ok" to remove it.

You should get dragonborn, it's the best of the skyrim DLC, imo. Just don't play through it too quickly, the main quest isn't meant to be done in one sitting.

Oh, I have the Dragonborn DLC, I've just been working on InconNPCs so much that I haven't had time to play it :p

Um...if it was a message, it'd be easier to track down...pop-up...I don't know...I Googled for 'SWAG Skyrim' and came up with all sorts of silliness...I've read one other user reported this issue in this very forum (with no resolution), I'd be interested to find out which mod is responsible.

That might have been me, but if it wasn't, comparing load orders would definitely help. All that silliness is probably why I haven't been able to figure this out so far.

I really need to stop downloading multiple mods at once.

• 3 years later...