Please help me, CK won't load scripts, vanilla or custom.

Hey, so I just started writing scripts, right? watched all the tutorials on youtube, wrote a custom object reference enable script, which may or may not work. I don't know, because everytime I load a script in the CK, it says

Script Reload:

Errors encountered while attempting to reload the script.

Okay. Google it. read everything you can find. So I did. I found out that it comes from not having the Base scripts unzipped. but I do. I even reinstalled the CK to have it unzip the base scripts again, and still i get the Script Reload Error. Driving me up a wall here. Can't select references to define properties because the CK won't load the script in the property window.

I'll include my script here, but again, it is EVERY SINGLE script in the CK that refuses to load. not just my custom one that may or may not work. Please help.

ObjectReference Property EnemyMarker1 Auto
ObjectReference Property EnemyMarker2 Auto
ObjectReference Property EnemyMarker3 Auto
ObjectReference Property EnemyMarker4 Auto
ObjectReference Property WindowLight1 Auto
ObjectReference Property WindowLight2 Auto
ObjectReference Property WindowLight3 Auto
ObjectReference Property WindowLight4 Auto
ObjectReference Property BigChest Auto
ObjectReference Property Xmarker Auto

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
If akActionRef==Game.GetPlayer()
EnemyMarker1.Enable()
EnemyMarker2.Enable()
EnemyMarker3.Enable()
EnemyMarker4.Enable()
WindowLight1.Disable()
WindowLight2.Disable()
WindowLight3.Disable()
WindowLight4.Disable()
BigChest.Enable()
Xmarker.Enable()

EndIf

EndEvent

Is the source code (*.psc) for the vanilla scripts unzipped and in this location?

Fallout 4\Data\Scripts\Source\Base

...Yes.

OP - "I found out that it comes from not having the Base scripts unzipped. but I do. I even reinstalled the CK to have it unzip the base scripts again, and still i get the Script Reload Error."

I had this happen. It's from the Bethesda.Net Launcher only partially installing the files. I think it's caused by some conflict between where Steam wants to put the files and where Beth wants to put them. In this case Beth is correct, but it frequently means the initial install of the CK gets borked. Anyway:

1. Launch Bethesda.Net launcher and go to the Fallout 4 CK page. Upper right corner, click on the gear icon, select Scan and Repair. Let it do it's thing. This should fix the file location problem.
  2. Launch the CK and load Fallout4.ESM. You should get a popup about unzipping the scripts zip file. Tell it yes. Let it replace anything that it wants to (it's just vanilla scripts, overwriting won't hurt anything).
  3. Repeat for Step 2 for each DLC. You may be able to do them all at once and have it ask you to unzip one after the other. If not, well, load them one by one.
  4. If this doesn't work, go to your Fallout 4 directory and delete all CK INI files. Then do steps 1-3 again.
  5. If that doesn't work uninstall the CK and start from scratch. Install it using the Beth launcher, exit out, then start with Step 1 and scan/repair.

I had this happen. It's from the Bethesda.Net Launcher only partially installing the files. I think it's caused by some conflict between where Steam wants to put the files and where Beth wants to put them. In this case Beth is correct, but it frequently means the initial install of the CK gets borked. Anyway:

1. Launch Bethesda.Net launcher and go to the Fallout 4 CK page. Upper right corner, click on the gear icon, select Scan and Repair. Let it do it's thing. This should fix the file location problem.
  2. Launch the CK and load Fallout4.ESM. You should get a popup about unzipping the scripts zip file. Tell it yes. Let it replace anything that it wants to (it's just vanilla scripts, overwriting won't hurt anything).
  3. Repeat for Step 2 for each DLC. You may be able to do them all at once and have it ask you to unzip one after the other. If not, well, load them one by one.
  4. If this doesn't work, go to your Fallout 4 directory and delete all CK INI files. Then do steps 1-3 again.
  5. If that doesn't work uninstall the CK and start from scratch. Install it using the Beth launcher, exit out, then start with Step 1 and scan/repair.

Oh, okay, so it's bethesda's fault. That makes me feel better. Also makes a bunch of sense. Of course the bethesda launcher borked something. What else would it do?

Oh, okay, so it's bethesda's fault. That makes me feel better. Also makes a bunch of sense. Of course the bethesda launcher borked something. What else would it do?

LOL Not long after typing my reply I had the CK suddenly refuse to do anything with scripts. Had to follow my own recommendations, use Beth launcher to scan and repair so that when I started the CK it asked me if I wanted to unzip the Base.zip script sources. Tell it yes, and overwrite.

See, no good deed goes unpunished :smile:

So, just so we have this all documented, and so Todd can see it- after using the CK to unzip the scripts.zip file, TWICE, I had to manually unzip it to my desktop to find that there were like 4000 scripts that just weren't present in my game directory. Where did CK put them? who knows.

Whose f***ing idea was it to make a game that can run without 50% of its scripts present in the "scripts" folder?! The more I learn about the structure of this engine, the more I despise it. I can open the game, I can play with 500 mods and 0 crashes, but f***in' TRY TO WRITE A 10 LINE SCRIPT AND THE CREATION KIT LIGHTS ON FIRE. Because the game runs fine, it just... it like, uses a different place for the scripts than the thing THAT WE USED TO MAKE IT. 0 sense out of 100.

Okay. good thing it just works.