2214 replies to this topic

xordevoreaux

xordevoreaux

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 113 posts
In response to post #96328343.

Spoiler

Which means multi-tiered dependencies we're able to cobble together now, such as like for Skyrim SE, would be spread across Nexus and MAYBE the most recently updated missing components hosted elsewhere if at all, and, if with the case of Skyrim SE, if there's an update to the SKSE and suddenly whatever mods archived on Nexus don't address the update, still of no use if those modders are no longer contributing to Nexus because they detest collections.

Sounds a bit counter to the goal.

Edited by xordevoreaux, 01 July 2021 - 10:25 AM.

Neonsquare

Neonsquare

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
In response to post #96328353.

Spoiler

They didn't announce anything. The website was stealth updated a week ago and some messages were leaked from discord between Nexus Mods devs and the API community. Only after that did Nexus Mods make a containment thread on the mod authors section of the forums.

TheTokenGeek

TheTokenGeek

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 437 posts
I'm super pumped for the arrival of collections. Been something I've wanted on Nexus Mods since my time there.

This should really help people create incredible game experiences nice and easily.

Greb651

Greb651

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 213 posts
In response to post #96328048. #96328318 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Itís a lot easier to think about endorsing a mod when you have actually opened the mod page. People will not endorse mods from Collections unless itís done automatically. They will thank and endorse the collection curator even if the work heís done represent a fraction of the work that was needed to create the mods.†

Greb651

Greb651

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 213 posts
In response to post #96328353. #96328408 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

It was a post in the mod author forums, not a proper announcement with notifications.†

Stillsnow1234

Stillsnow1234

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
Ah! I see, this is what all the Modders were so concerned about. I couldn't understand what was happening in the beginning at all and wasn't all that concerned as I am just a† casual here on nexus.
But from my chats with some of the other guys, I see all this is going to affect people of different groups in a different way (according to them)

Mod Users: No change to them really. the old mod users will stick to the way of installing the mods they are used to. The Newer ones might go for the new system. So no trouble in this group obviously.

Mod Authors: Loose their right on the handling of their Creative Content. While most of the Mod authors don't delete their files anyway, just this signalling that "You can't really do it anymore even if you wanted" is going to be a friction point that you Admins might need to address. (Not like Authors can do much about this decision honestly).

All of this is just an observation. So kindly don't nuke my account lol.

Edited by Stillsnow1234, 01 July 2021 - 10:20 AM.

RichWebster

RichWebster

Software Engineer

• Premium Member
  • 2,581 posts
I'm happy about this. Modding should be as accessible as possible.

xordevoreaux

xordevoreaux

Enthusiast

• Premium Member
  • 113 posts
In response to post #96328353. #96328408, #96328453 are all replies on the same post.

Spoiler

Yeah this is my first time hearing it as well.

Rhaevyn

Rhaevyn

Faerie Goth Mother

• Premium Member
  • 1,836 posts
As a mod user and premium member here for about four years, and having built familiarity with many authors I can definitely understand both sides.† When you create something, it's like it's your child.† No one gets to tell you what you do with your child.† On the other hand, staff is looking to the future.† Part of me is excited for this because even after four years, I still can't figure out all the right ways to make my giant mod list play nice, not completely.† I'm still learning.

I get that MAs want people to come to their page and read, to learn what they're doing.† But it is also nice to have these collections so we know that the whole will work as intended.† Wow, it's like a tennis match in my head.† Points for this side, points for that side.† As a parent, I feel for the mod authors who are concerned.† As a mod user, I want to throw money at you to make this happen faster.

Conundrum.† My hope is that all my favorite mods and their authors will stay.† Maybe you could implement something into the system that nudges (OK, kicks users in the arse) to read the mod pages of the collection.† Or make sure that they have to go to the specific mod page to Endorse it and especially to leave a comment of thanks.† I believe this is what mod authors are more afraid of than anything.† Empty, sad, lonely posts on their page.† The joy of modding on both sides is the interaction we have with each other.† That is going to be the biggest challenge of your system.† If you can figure a way to prevent ghost towns on the MAs pages, you may win them back.

GL guys.

Pixelhate

Pixelhate

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
In response to post #96328013.

Spoiler

Yes

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.125 seconds