Textures Issue

I am just starting to make mods for Morrowind, and one thing I am trying to do is make a sword which has a custom texture. I used Nifskope to retexture the sword, and it looks fine in the program. However, when I load the .nif file into the construction set, my custom texture isn't there. I couldn't find any reference to why this is happening online.

https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/content/modelling-resources#pnifskope

Texture paths:
When changing or giving textures, NifSkope will by default give absolute paths, which won't work if users have Morrowind installed in a different folder. You should shorten to relative paths. For example if the full texture path is "C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Morrowind\Data Files\Textures\A_Bear_Boot2.dds", the relative path is "Textures\A_Bear_Boot2.dds". NifSkope will shorten new paths automatically for you if you go to Render->Settings...->Rendering->Add Folder and set the path of your Data Files folder.
Vanilla files omit the "Textures\" folder from texture paths, but the engine requires it if the texture is in a subfolder.

also be sure the texture is actually in the data files/textures folder

and while i'm here, a lot of info about nifskope here too http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifSkope/Working_With_Nifs_101_:_Basic_Use

you need the path for the texture inside the .nif file to respect these rules:

1. if the texture is inside a subfolder (e.g. Data Files\Textures\subfolder1\mytexture1.dds), you need the path to include the Textures part so e.g. Textures\subfolder1\mytexture1.dds

2. if the texture is right in the Textures folder (e.g. Data Files\Textures\mytexture1.dds), you can use both Textures\mytexture1.dds or simply mytexture1.dds

Nif Texture Stripper is a tool able to automatically fix most texture paths in a bunch of .nif files very fast.

I use it with these parameters: nif_tx_strip.exe --local --back_slash --no_texture_path --bmp2dds --tga2dds > out.txt so it logs to the out.txt file, then you can look for --> in the out.txt file for changed textures report