Stuck on dragon logo after clicking "New Game"

necromanzee

I have no idea what's going on.

I was playing Skyrim absolutely fine yesterday, testing two mods for compatibility. When I decided I was finished testing, I deleted my saves in my game folder, uninstalled the mod I'd been testing, and reinstalled the ones I'd had before testing.

Today when I went to make a new game (because safe mod installing practices), the main menu came up, I clicked "New Game", the menu options disappeared, as they do... and then nothing. No loading screen appeared. The smoke kept swirling, the main theme kept playing in the background, and the dragon logo just sat there. I waited several minutes, then CTRL+ALT+DEL-ed out.

I googled the issue and read several forum postings and yahoo questions about it, but nothing advised made any sense to me. Why should I tweak my sound, or my .inis, when they are exactly the same as they were yesterday, and exactly the same as they were even before that, before I started testing mods, and the game played fine?

Nevertheless, I deleted my .inis and had Skyrim re-generate them. I deactivated all the "new" mods I'd activated. For good measure, I deactivated the High Res Texture Pack .esps. And still Skyrim would not move past the dragon logo. I deactivated MORE mods. Still stuck on the dragon logo.

:\

Are there any Nexus-ians out there with any insight that could help me?

Edited by lindenlaurel

Ok, so I disabled all mods and loaded only Skyrim + Update + Dawnguard (and the USKP and UDGP) and it loaded up fine.

So, unless my deductive reasoning deceives me, it must be mod-related. Which I absolutely don't understand because these are all the same mods I've been using forever. :blink: Yet, here we are.

So, nevermind, Nexus community, I guess. :sweat: I am perfectly capable of enabling a few at a time until I find my own error. Sorry for cluttering the forums. This thread can be deleted or archived or whatever. :sweat:

Edit: I FUDGING FOUND IT. :woot:

For posterity's sake, it was the "No Starting Spells" mod by DSauer over at Steam Workshop. I am 100% certain that it used to work for me, so I am NOT saying there is anything wrong with that mod, but it is one of the newest (relatively) additions to my load order, and perhaps when I played with it, I didn't have "Alternate Start - Live Another Life" active. Because, to be clear and fair, "No Starting Spells"'s description does say it's incompatible with new game starts.

So that's all it was, for me. ^^

Edited by lindenlaurel

• 5 months later...

To play skyrim you have to do the following:

(1)After clicking the new open the console menu by (`).

(2)Write coc riverwood in the console menu then press enter.

(3)Wait for loading.

(4)You will see a blank screen.

(5)Again open the console menu.

(6)Type coc riverwood again.

(7)Now the game will start.

I am sure it will work.Thanks for you question

Sorry for my bad english........................................... :blush:

• 2 years later...

Every time I say start new game the menu goes away as normal but then it keeps playing background smoke and music and nothing else

I tried using coc riverwood but nothing happens

I did however get the game of a USB from a friend

but it was working perfectly fine a week ago

• 4 months later...

Im having a similar problem too you had, i was playing one day, then suddenly poof, no more new game. Idk what mod it is as i have loaded Skyrim with and without mods since this began and still no new game. Idk if anyone could figure it out but incase, im using Alternate Start Live Another Life, All the JK's Mods, Frostfall and FNIS

OK, so on SKSE, I have added no new mods, or anything. Just the same old texture fixes like SMIM(Static Mesh Improvement Mod) and the such. Patched Nexus and now when I click continue, it does the infinite Dragon Logo with the main theme playing in the background. It's not just loading, I've waited for 30 min and it just sits there. I gave you a list of installed plugins If you need them. I'm using SKSE's modding system and nexus. It was working fine literally seconds before the update, then I quit, updated the nexus client, and then whoop Dee Doo, it broke. I checked, and USKSEP needed an update, so I did that, and it helped nothing.

Plugins:

S = skyrim SE modding, N = Nexus

S climatesoftamriel

S Unofficial skyrim special edition patch

S waves

S loadscreentextsextrasass

N skyrim Flora Overhaul

S dd - enhanced blood main

S goldtoseptim

S ar7_magelightdynamicshadow

S truestormsse

N Blacksmith Forge Water Fix SE

N Predator Vision

N Run for Your Lives

N Footprints

N Scoped Bows

N Scoped Bows_Eagle Eye Tweak

N Scoped Bows_Arrow Tweaks

S dtwerewolfmeter

S magicalcollageofwinterhold

S moonlight tales special edition

S lock -o -motion

N Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard Weathers

N Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Weathers

N Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Minor Cities and Town Interiors

N Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Interiors

N Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Major City Exteriors

N Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dungeons

N Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Dawnguard interiors

N STL-TARDIS-Regenerated

N BarenziaQuestMarkers

N SMIM-SE-Merged-All

S icepenguinworldmapaddon-noclouds

S icepenguinworldmap

S psijicteleportspells

N Vlammenzee's Glass Weapons Re-textured V1

EDIT

So, It was Moonlight Tales SE. when I turn it off, it loads a loading screen with text hints and stuff. I also tried loading it by itself, and it worked fine. Can someone tell my which of these is conflicting with Moonlight? Also, last time I loaded my game without Moonlight, it bugged out. It showed the blocking hint thing, and then cut to the Bethesda logo when I Alt + Tab'd. Help?

EDIT II

Next day, after turning MLT off, it now doesn't work again. Great.

Edited by SignalRapter

Im having a similar problem too you had, i was playing one day, then suddenly poof, no more new game. Idk what mod it is as i have loaded Skyrim with and without mods since this began and still no new game. Idk if anyone could figure it out but incase, im using Alternate Start Live Another Life, All the JK's Mods, Frostfall and FNIS

Alternate Start is broken btw, It works for anytime between a month or a couple of weeks. Eventually, I couldn't even load a vanilla copy, as I couldn't move. On all my other saves, upon loading, I was stuck at the swirling-smoke-main-theme-Dragon-logo Screen.

Edited by SignalRapter

• 2 months later...