working with applying 2d layers to a 3d layer composed of multiple textures

I'm not sure if i'm using the most easy of programs, PS. The problem, i'm using the skeleton.nif and applying several NiTriShapes for the foot, lowerbody, upperbody, hand and head. exporting that from NifSkope as an obj file. Opening that in PS as a 3d layer. when applying 2d layers, in the past it seemed "merge down" worked fine, now it doesn't seem so. Trying to apply tattoos whereever, mostly in many problem areas, crossing of one mesh to another, wrapping for sleeves ... not going very well.

As far as i've gotten thus far: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/50179?tab=images

I was thinking of altering the individual mesh (nif) files, basically by using MeshLab, cleaning up and increasing the amount of vectors and then further using a part of the KGTools - SeamMender to ensure, well .. no seams. Getting an error in NifSkope "block tangents array size mismatch". examining the orig to the altered, the Tri-Strips have been removed and a simple copy and paste isn't working.

Any who, i think that there were multiple questions in there.

is there a better program to use in the application of 2d layers (images) onto a 3d layer (body)?

is there another program or is Nifskope capable of altering vectors, MeshLab removes the textures ... was going to try Autodesk MeshMixer?

Am i missing something in Photoshop 2020 to better apply image layers, transform and warping really aren't cutting it? many times, even when the image is only applied to a singular mesh, the image degrades in quality (on a merge down) ... i alter the image prior to application to the same resolution (1024 x 1024 x8bit).

tx for any advice in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. guess i'll respond to my own question.

I managed to get Meshlab (obj) back into the original nif (import obj). all of the skinning was removed and some arrays that needed to be refreshed. worked pretty smoothly. albeit, it didn't help w/ seams ... Meshlab was useful in eliminating some bugs in the vertices, tri-shapes .. other meshy stuff.

i was reading ... i'm pretty sure it was based on the OCO model and the usage of what was referred to as the socket method. it requires blender to reshape the mesh though and i've yet to get blender and niftools working just yet. i think i have all the resources, 2.49b blender ... not quite sure about nif tools.

the usage of using smart objects and masks should help in maintaining the quality of an image as well as getting it wrapped around something else besides a cylinder ... the only thing that seems to be on youtube.

i still have to deal w/ the seam. i could opt for kgtools seammender, post cleaning the mesh up w/ meshlab or go the blender route. i was thinking of altering some equipment, which once again, kgtools has a script for that or use blender. if i can get kgtools to work, from the description, it should be able to handle batch jobs.

alas, any words of wisdom are appreciated.