Hope For The Best, But Expect The Worst

Zanderat

Yes, but Nexus Collections won't have that huge flaw.

It's worth noting that even the people who are against this have often pointed out how Nexus has almost always been on the side of the Authors before now. Authors are half a percent of the members on Nexus. Since this appears to be an either or situation, with no realistic way for both sides to win, is it a surprise that they are choosing to support the other 99.5% of the members this time?

Maybe because it's our content that the reason this site was started and still exists to this day in the first place?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth noting that even the people who are against this have often pointed out how Nexus has almost always been on the side of the Authors before now. Authors are half a percent of the members on Nexus. Since this appears to be an either or situation, with no realistic way for both sides to win, is it a surprise that they are choosing to support the other 99.5% of the members this time?

If it weren't for mod authors, this site wouldn't exist. Seems kinda idiotic to me to alienate the very people you depend on for your existence.....

That said, there were multiple proposals in the GMAD forums, that would have worked perfectly, and everyone would have been at least OK with it, if not precisely happy. But, Nexus never even bothered to talk to mod authors about it. They just made a unilateral decision, and told mod authors, "This is it, comply, or leave." (You shall be assimilated......)

135,000 mod authors. How many have been alienated?

What reason is there to assume that some cobbled together list of mods is in any way reliable, be it on Steam or here? Will these so-called "curators" provide their own compatibility patches? If not, then simply pointing to outdated and quite possibly bugged versions of mods they've had no hand in making seems like a laughably poor approach to "reliability".

Yes, they often do make conflict resolution patches. The good and popular ones do, anyway. Lexy's mod list has compatibility patches made by her available, but the process of installing it is long and complicated. Automation would be nice (but unlikely since Lexy prefers MO2).

its not about reliability, mod authors, making modding easier, its all about $$$$. everything else is bulls***.

Same "everyone is out to get us" mentality people always pull out to prove that everyone except them is a money-hungry bastard.

Maybe because it's our content that the reason this site was started and still exists to this day in the first place?

Your content, the employees work, the members payments.

One leg doesn't hold up a chair.

What reason is there to assume that some cobbled together list of mods is in any way reliable, be it on Steam or here? Will these so-called "curators" provide their own compatibility patches? If not, then simply pointing to outdated and quite possibly bugged versions of mods they've had no hand in making seems like a laughably poor approach to "reliability".

I regularly merge mods or need to fix compatibilities for my games. I've been modding games/making mods since the high times of Neverwinter Nights (Aurora Toolset), and I've seen pretty much all that can go wrong with mods and compatibility across several engines.

There's absolutely no way I'd trust some rando to tell me what mods go with what, and use their patches. Who knows what they bundle up in there.

If it weren't for mod authors, this site wouldn't exist. Seems kinda idiotic to me to alienate the very people you depend on for your existence.....

That said, there were multiple proposals in the GMAD forums, that would have worked perfectly, and everyone would have been at least OK with it, if not precisely happy. But, Nexus never even bothered to talk to mod authors about it. They just made a unilateral decision, and told mod authors, "This is it, comply, or leave." (You shall be assimilated......)

I suggest a name change for the site: Nexus1984.

I would be curious to see how many of those 135K authors are even still active. Judging by the reaction I saw in GMAD, a significant portion of them were not happy with this change. Will it prompt them to pull their mods? No idea. Of course, we have no real way to track just how many actually do leave. Staff does though. I really don't see them making that information public though.

Guest deleted34304850

its not about reliability, mod authors, making modding easier, its all about $$$$. everything else is bulls***.

Same "everyone is out to get us" mentality people always pull out to prove that everyone except them is a money-hungry bastard.

huh?

Guest deleted34304850

Your content, the employees work, the members payments.

One leg doesn't hold up a chair.

last time i checked, nexusmods wasn't a chair. wanna try again, but use an analogy that works?

how about this - nexusmods is a middleman between talented people who create mods and less talented people who would like to use those mods.

It's my understanding, that the list maker, will also be able to include things like a 'bashed patch', etc. In order for things to play nice.

Of course, just like mods, there are going to be lists that have issues, and lists that are really good. And everything in between. It will be up to users to police which are which. As always, read the comments/bug reports before downloading. :D

The point being, Collections will require regular upkeep and evaluation of user feedback to be (and stay) in any way reliable. Nexus Mods' approach (and subsequent treatment of authors) does not constitute some inherent utopia for end users, much as some would apparently like to believe that. ...This is in reference to someone's post about "reliability" above; I should've quoted that one.

The point being, Collections will require regular upkeep and evaluation of user feedback to be (and stay) in any way reliable. Nexus Mods' approach (and subsequent treatment of authors) does not constitute some inherent utopia for end users, much as some would apparently like to believe that. ...This is in reference to someone's post about "reliability" above; I should've quoted that one.

No. Once a list is published it will stay as it is. The creator can create an updated version of the list and users will have the choice of using the original or the updated one. That is reliability. The choice will be up to the user.