User names for closed accounts

M48A5

I just noticed that the user name of a closed account is no longer being posted, only a series of numbers.

Just out of curiosity, when and why was the posting of user names for closed accounts discontinued?

I just noticed that the user name of a closed account is no longer being posted, only a series of numbers.

Just out of curiosity, when and why was the posting of user names for closed accounts discontinued?

I would say that directly relates to GDPR compliance, unlike so much of the mod noise going on. Don't know when but probably around the same time GDPR came in effect.

GDPR considers usernames to be Personally identifiable information (PII), even if they you made your username "RandomModder1212342354235435", so we remove them from any deleted accounts (either self-serve deletes or direct requests). This has been the case since shortly after the EU passed the legislation.

GDPR considers usernames to be Personally identifiable information (PII), even if they you made your username "RandomModder1212342354235435", so we remove them from any deleted accounts (either self-serve deletes or direct requests). This has been the case since shortly after the EU passed the legislation.

Thanks for the answer. But, isn't the United Kingdom (where Nexus is located) not in the European Union? Do EU laws still apply to the UK?

Thanks for the answer. But, isn't the United Kingdom (where Nexus is located) not in the European Union? Do EU laws still apply to the UK?

After Brexit, who knows! I suspect we'll be forced to continue with GDPR in some form to keep the EU happy anyway. Honestly, the less personal info we keep on our servers the better so I'm not against removing it, I just wish these people who send emails to request a deletion would at least try to self-serve before doing so. It's a chunk of our day spent deleting accounts which we could use for something more productive! /rant

All EU law was signed into UK law prior to Brexit so we didn't have to rewrite a load of them.

The UK GDPR | ICO

All EU law was signed into UK law prior to Brexit so we didn't have to rewrite a load of them.

The UK GDPR | ICO

Thanks for the clarification, Jim.