Crash1099

• 2 weeks later...

I would PM the author, hopefully they will reply and you won't have to guess why they removed their mod. If they decided to move it somewhere else they will most likely tell you where.

Do the mod authors have the right to delete their product though?

What about the rights of the fans and fellow gamers to have that product available at all times.

Does not exist. You have zero right to someone else's intellectual property. Copyright belongs to the author.

What about the rights of the fans and fellow gamers to have that product available at all times.

Does not exist. You have zero right to someone else's intellectual property. Copyright belongs to the author.

So what is it when I have their "property" on my computer?

So what is it when I have their "property" on my computer?

They have given permission for you to download and use it. That does not mean they have to give permission for everyone else to do so forever. By deleting their mods they are revoking permission for anyone to obtain new copies of their work. This is how copyright works.

Arguing that the "fans and fellow gamers have a right to have a product available at all times" is arguing that Nexus is not allowed to ever go offline. Bankruptcy? They better damn well find the money to keep going, fans and fellow gamers have rights! Data loss? They must find the mod author, who has no choice but to upload a new copy, which he must maintain forever and then pass on to his children to maintain forever, because fans and fellow gamers have rights!

See how silly the argument sounds?

You don't have a right to someone else's work. Mod authors have given permission for Nexus to host their mods, and to gamers to then download and use their mods. They can revoke that permission at anytime, because they are the copyright holder. They can not make you delete your local copy, such a law would be unenforceable. But they can deny you permission to share it with someone else; in fact by default that is how the law works, you are not allowed to share mods you have downloaded without specific permission, which is why you see people asking permission to port to Xbox.