Nice work....

Erenar

So your telling me I'm hostile while all I'm trying to do is make it easier for people and still retain my own rights over my mods, but your the one telling me what I need to do and leave, your joking right...and then you wander why some authors get so fed up with entitled people like you.

FWIW the 'person' you're addressing actually crossed the line in another thread and attacked and belittled another modder's MODS.

Something IIRC has never done before.

Yea....this is how divided this decision has divided the community.

Totally pathetic.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest deleted34304850

Maybe a stupid question but if you're not going to make your entire mod available for users from the nexus but force them to use some offsite thing (allowable or not), why even bother? Because as a user I would go "that's nice, I'll use another mod instead". Being user-hostile is generally perceived as a bad thing, and inconveniencing users for whatever point you were hoping to make IS user-hostile. If you have that level of disagreement with a hosting site, find another one altogether. Why this tortured construct?

yes a stupid question but I'll answer anyway:

1. I will retain my own rights over my own mods this way, so no site like Nexus can claim it for themselves and distribute it forever, or edit my mods, its all in their TOS, they can literally do what they want with your mod, I even asked them what would happen if I would get banned and then send a GDPR request to remove all my data, and their answer was that they would "unlink" me from my mod, like remove my name and everything else that makes me the owner of my mod, effectively making my mod "ownerless" but they will keep distributing it.

Also just think for a moment, you can get banned by a moderator "at their discretion", you lose all access to your mods and get 0 compensation at this point, no donations points, nothing, while Nexus will still keep making a profit from the content of a person they removed all access from, that in itself should break the TOS since it no longer gives both parties an agreement that benefits them both, only one party will benefit while the other gets nothing, and yet Nexus claims otherwise and will proceed with their immoral and disgusting actions.

2. My mods are unique, go look around and who else put in all the effort to build new Telvanni interiors and build an entire Telvanni player tower with all whistles and bells and an entire town around it....nobody. And Lakeview Extended is also pretty unique, so don't for a second think anyone can just rebuild all of that, the way you think about mods being replaceable is very basic and shows a lack of understanding (and respect) on how long it takes and how much effort it takes to build something big and magnificent from scratch. I even had to pay for MAX3DS out of my own pocket to make those interior meshes, imagine that, paid for programs to build assets and Nexus runs off with them all and can do with them as they please, yeah i don't think so.

3. "Being user-hostile is generally perceived as a bad thing", I would never have wanted to do these things, to protect myself from this kind of hostility towards authors, but I have 0 choice in the matter since Nexus gave me an ultimatum of "surrender in 30 days or leave", so don't blame me for their forced ultimatum, I really wish I had other options to pick from, but I don't.

And how dare you asking me to surrender just so its more convenient for you, be frigging happy that you get a big mod that took 2 years to build all for free, but your too lazy to download some files from another website and then call me the hostile one.

You want convenience? Go to McDonalds and die of heart-disease in your 40's, or you can put in some effort and make decent meals... Clearly you prefer the convenience.

4. many other mods and translations depend on my mods, if I were to totally leave they would have a hard time finding my files, if I remake new mod pages with an "incomplete" mod and people have to go to another mod site to get the "other part of the mod" to get the complete mod, it would still be better and easier for them since they can still find my mod pages on Nexus and know what to do, as opposed to randomly searching on the internet or google wandering where the heck my mods went, and they need my mods for their own mods to function.

So in this manner I try not to totally screw over the people who need my mods for their mods/translations to function, and again, don't blame me for this, blame Nexus for not giving me any other choices to pick from.

with a hosting site, find another one altogether

So your telling me I'm hostile while all I'm trying to do is make it easier for people and still retain my own rights over my mods, but your the one telling me what I need to do and leave, your joking right...and then you wander why some authors get so fed up with entitled people like you.

I thought Nexus was my home, an art gallery that displays my art but its still my art and my choice what happens to it, this made me feel protected and I would have honestly never deleted my files, no way, not after all the hard work I put in them and not after more than 10 years of Nexus keeping its word and building trust.

Nexus broke that trust big time, they simply cannot be trusted anymore to keep their word, they even removed the ability for us to remove files 3 days prior to even announcing they did it on purpose, we were all thinking it was a bug... only to find out later it was intentional and then they give their ultimatum...

Don't blame me for Nexus pushing me away and having to resort to these ridiculous precautionary actions to protect myself, all because I stand for the values that Nexus used to stand for, and if you don't understand what I mean by that then read my signature.

i dont think i've ever come across a mod author who, out of the gate, has been hostile to their audience.

on the other hand, the entitlement for some users of mods available via this website is off the charts. all part of life's rich tapestry though.

c'est la vie.

FWIW the 'person' you're addressing actually crossed the line in another thread and attacked and belittled another modder's MODS.

Something IIRC has never done before.

Yea....this is how divided this decision has divided the community.

Totally pathetic.

Just going to point out here that in the GMAD thread (which a lot of people here can't access) I said that

a) your mods are pretty niche (in terms of audience/reach/scope)

b) you appear to have last published a mod about two years ago

c) I am in the same boat (niche mods/rarely publish) which you appear to have missed completely.

If you perceive this as "AN ATTACK ON MY MODS", then well, don't really know what to say. "lol" covers it pretty well.

The reason I pointed this out is that there is a distinct pattern of authors who have this sort of niche mod and/or who haven't published in years, who will not be affected by this in any real way, but who have been absolutely frothing at the mouth. Fielding the most insane conspiracy theories, trying to work out how to sabotage things, and anyone who doesn't toe their line is a shill or whatever else you throw at people constantly while trying to shout them down, so they no longer engage and you can sit uncontested in your toxic little echo chamber being angry at everything while you try to work out how to best inconvenience the users. All that will accomplish is complaints on your mod pages and a further drift into obscurity and irrelevance. And maybe that's for the best. Case in point:

3. "Being user-hostile is generally perceived as a bad thing", I would never have wanted to do these things, to protect myself from this kind of hostility towards authors, but I have 0 choice in the matter since Nexus gave me an ultimatum of "surrender in 30 days or leave", so don't blame me for their forced ultimatum, I really wish I had other options to pick from, but I don't.

And how dare you asking me to surrender just so its more convenient for you, be frigging happy that you get a big mod that took 2 years to build all for free, but your too lazy to download some files from another website and then call me the hostile one.

You want convenience? Go to McDonalds and die of heart-disease in your 40's, or you can put in some effort and make decent meals... Clearly you prefer the convenience.

Dear lord listen to yourself.

Read the whole post instead of snipping only a small part out of it and then leaving a snark reply of just 5 words, really mature. I'm pondering whether I should put you on my ignore list since all you seem to do is argue for the sake of arguing, at least I'm trying to make some valid points instead of just berating other people over every little thing they say (aside from Nexus at least, but those are corporate employees and the sole cause of this whole mess).

Edited by Guest

Lastly the "opt out": I've just made a small collection for Valheim (with an internal testing build of Vortex). It has 11 mods "in it". But it does not actually "contain" any mods or mod files. All the collection actually is is a list with metadata (mod IDs, file IDs) that tells Vortex where it needs to go to fetch the download link for a given mod file.

As much as you cannot, and never have been able to, "opt out" of someone writing up a list of what they think are cool mods, providing links, you cannot opt out of collections doing the same thing. There are other considerations and I've explained it in more detail here. I hope that answers your questions.

The problem with this explanation is that it's not actually what a "collection" ends up being. If it's JUST a list, as you're trying to say here, then an item disappearing from said list can't break it. So the entire argument you guys have been shoving down everyone's throats for a week falls apart. Especially since you're still trying to make it out like this is the equivalent to Steam Workshop collections. Which DO NOT BREAK when an item is removed from them due to a deleted mod.

If your system cannot handle a deletion, your system is bugged and needs to be fixed so that it can. It's that simple.

Then once the ability to truly delete a file is restored, most of the people leaving now won't have the incentive to do so because you longer have to hold a Sword of Damocles over them to get them to stay.

Read the whole post instead of snipping only a small part out of it and then leaving a snark reply of just 5 words, really mature. I'm pondering whether I should put you on my ignore list since all you seem to do is argue for the sake of arguing, at least I'm trying to make some valid points instead of just berating other people over every little thing they say (aside from Nexus at least, but those are corporate employees and the sole cause of this whole mess).

Not very mature. Then again, it was you who posted a lengthy explanation about why you don't like this change at all, in a discussion that was about something specific (to what extent it is okay to host a mod page on Nexus with a link to a "mirror" where the actual mod is).