TheMatsjo

Skyrim project optmalization

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32505/

Oh woops, I actually had it in the list already, much thanks though!

As far as going by what Stability Project says I have been following the advice but I do use one mod they don't recommend and that's Imaginator. I asked about this mod in another thread and was told that it really shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not messed with too much, ie: get your settings and leave it alone. This is a great "appearance" mod that lets you fine tune saturation and coloring with zero performance hit. I was hoping there was an alternative and as far as I know there is none in terms of a standalone mod to do it. However ENBs and something like FXAA injector does change those types of settings as well. I have tried several ENBs out and they are just a little too harsh on performance for my computer so I dropped them again. I have also tried FXAA injector and it does a good job as well but in the end I preferred the fine tuning of Imaginator. I guess technically you could fine tune FXAA and ENB though the .ini files but I really didn't want to bother with that.

Since you are going with Lanterns of Skyrim you will need a preset for it as well which are available on the LoS page or you will get awful red lights. I use the 2.1 CoT preset since I don't use the darkest nights setting in CoT. The CoT 3 preset will be extremely bright with a dark night setting of 2 or 3 which I use.

As far as Apocalypse Spells goes yeah it's not exactly optimal along with SkyRe. Another reason I went with ERSO overhaul and used his compatibility list as a loose guide. I think I used all of the ERSO modules besides the race module, need to find a good race overhaul that I can drop in on a current game without worrying about issues.

Hmmm, I'll think on the Imaginer matter, and I'll figure out a preset for LoS + CoT; I think I'm going to go for very dark nights and lanterns that function more as beacons to navigate by than as spots I could feasible read a map or something by. I don't think I'm gonna miss the extra spells, so I'll be fine without Apocalypse.

W00t, gonna be so awesome.

PS: does anyone have experience in using the Mod Organizer rather than the Nexus Mod Manager? Worth it?

PPS: is there a mod around that lets me wear masks together with (open) helmets?

Edited by TheMatsjo

Yeah finding a preset for LoS + CoT is easy enough, I went with the darkness level 3.

I have loaded up and looked at Mod Organizer and its quite nice. If and / or when I ever do a full fresh reinstall of Skyrim and mods I was planning on going over to it instead of NMM, for now im just sticking with NMM since it's what im used to and comfortable with. Last thing I wanna do right now is wreck my install and force myself into a full reload when I don't need to. I wish NMM wasn't so damn slow to load and take up as much system memory as it does.

So many great suggestions. :) I'm in a similar situation, I'm going to start over on a new PC and I didn't know what mods to use, but there are many great examples here. :)

I'm using Mod Organizer for quite a while now, I must say, i really like it. It takes some getting used to, but once you understand how it works, it's worth it. It keeps your original Skyrim folder as clean as it can get.

One word of advice though: Do NOT launch the CK from inside Mod Organizer, ever! I tried to make some changes to a patch I made, I tried to add some scripts (in the CK) and by doing so it messed up the entire patch (10+ hrs of work). Luckily I had a backup so it didn't cost me that much time to get it back the way it was.

Other than that, it's surely worth considering. :)

Good luck! ;)

Kind regards

Andre

Yeah finding a preset for LoS + CoT is easy enough, I went with the darkness level 3.

I have loaded up and looked at Mod Organizer and its quite nice. If and / or when I ever do a full fresh reinstall of Skyrim and mods I was planning on going over to it instead of NMM, for now im just sticking with NMM since it's what im used to and comfortable with. Last thing I wanna do right now is wreck my install and force myself into a full reload when I don't need to. I wish NMM wasn't so damn slow to load and take up as much system memory as it does.

I think I'm just gonna try it on the first go; keeping my data folder clean is worth quite a bit to me, I was actually surprised that NMM doesn't 'modswitch' like that by default.

One word of advice though: Do NOT launch the CK from inside Mod Organizer, ever! I tried to make some changes to a patch I made, I tried to add some scripts (in the CK) and by doing so it messed up the entire patch (10+ hrs of work). Luckily I had a backup so it didn't cost me that much time to get it back the way it was.

Other than that, it's surely worth considering. :smile:

Good luck! :wink:

Kind regards

Andre

I've been trying to figure it out, and it's probably very obvious, but what is CK? There's nothing in my mod list which looks like it would be abbreviated Ck I think? Glad to hear you didn't lose all your progress, would probably be the thing to worry me most as well. Glad to know I'm not the only one getting into the game (again) now.

I've been trying to figure it out, and it's probably very obvious, but what is CK?

The official Creation Kit of Bethesda. You can download it for free on Steam. It's a handy tool for tweaking certain records. But it crashes often though. To be honest, I much prefer using TES5Edit to make most tweaks but some things you can only do with the Creation Kit. (for instance, scripts)

When you're using Mod Organizer, do not run the Creation Kit from inside Mod Organizer, because they don't seem compatible and any change you make might mess up the plugin you're working on.

To fix this, you'll have to manually move the esp to the Skyrim\Data and use the Creation Kit to open it from there. And after you're done, move it back to the folder in Mod Oragnizer\Mods.

Oh and btw, before you make any changes to an esp whatsoever, whether it's your own or from the Nexus/Steam, make sure to make a backup! I learnt that the hard way. ;)

Edited by AndrealphusVIII

I want to play a melee-centric Orc (paladin) with Restoration magic who starts the game as a recruit for the Companions.

You might be interested in my Enhanced Skyrim Factions: The Companions Guild mod. It would allow your paladin to avoid being forced to do something popularly (in Skyrim) thought of as evil, while also extending the questline. In the default game if you start out focused on the Companions you can be through their questline by around level 5 or 6, which is IMHO just way too fast.

You might be interested in my Enhanced Skyrim Factions: The Companions Guild mod. It would allow your paladin to avoid being forced to do something popularly (in Skyrim) thought of as evil, while also extending the questline. In the default game if you start out focused on the Companions you can be through their questline by around level 5 or 6, which is IMHO just way too fast.

Sounds also interesting for me. :) Keeping it tracked at the moment. ;)

When you're using Mod Organizer, do not run the Creation Kit from inside Mod Organizer, because they don't seem compatible and any change you make might mess up the plugin you're working on.

To fix this, you'll have to manually move the esp to the Skyrim\Data and use the Creation Kit to open it from there. And after you're done, move it back to the folder in Mod Oragnizer\Mods.

Oh and btw, before you make any changes to an esp whatsoever, whether it's your own or from the Nexus/Steam, make sure to make a backup! I learnt that the hard way. :wink:

Ahhh, that's it, thanks, I won't :wink:. I'm going to take the advices of using Mod Manager and Wrye Bash, and just download the mods I want manually and backup backup backup. Much obliged in advance.

You know what? I think I might indeed be interested in that, I'm going to try it out! Would probably not have found this before starting play, thanks a lot!

PS: I've added on Economics of Skyrim in conjunction with Trade and Barter, but now I'm looking at Banks of Skyrim, and it looks like it'd be a problematic blend at best. Anyone have any experience with that?

Edited by TheMatsjo

Well, if you're interested in a Paladin/good guy playthrough you might also want to consider these quest mods:

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Andre

Well, if you're interested in a Paladin/good guy playthrough you might also want to consider these quest mods:

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Andre

Damn skippy that helps! I've just added them both (already had Choice is Yours), exactly my kind of thing. I don't think I'll necessarily play 'good guy', but if it turns out Bragg's got something against the Thieves Guild, being able to take them out will be ossim. Paarthurnax Dilemma will definitely come up.

I've made a major edit to the first post to reflect the progress and post some new issues that've sprung up for me, but all in all it's getting pretty close :D.

Cheers,

Matthias