Remaking the "furniture entry points"?

Good morning everybody!

How much work (or how hard) would it be to "remake" all the furniture entry points, so that they are closer to the actual furniture object?

(Or to make "duplicates" of the vanilla furniture with "more compact" entry point locations)

Because I am sick and tired of the fact that every chair, bed, ... needs like 10m of free space around it to be useable by the player or NPCs.

Are there any tutorials for this?

I am assuming that this kind fo stuff needs to be done in 3DSMAX ...

But how exactly?

I have a little bit of experience with 3dsmax (custom static meshes, custom doors).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is done in CK on the furniture. The interaction points there.

I know.

I want to change the points to be closer to the actual furniture. (not like a few meters away like they are normally)

So that the furniture can be used in smaller spaces

You can manipulate (or add) any point like insertion or various snap points using nifSkope. The interaction point is likely no different (not sure, didn't try/check before) - for existing models.

You should probably add it within 3DS (if possible) for your own.

The thing is the animation.

It is set up to go from the "furniture entry point" to "the character is sitting in that chair".

Unless that is generated "dynamically" by the game, moving that entrypoint would require to also remake the animation.

As far as I know, the entry point and the furniture marker (where the character actually sits on the static chair mesh) are "one thing" and you can't move one without the other.

I guess that is how it works ...

It wouldn't bother me to not have that "character going from standing there to sitting down" - animation if I could somehow change the location of the entry points ...

I would try to skip the sitting animation completely by attaching a script to the base object or the reference, in the onactivate event call snapintointeraction.

I would try to skip the sitting animation completely by attaching a script to the base object or the reference, in the onactivate event call snapintointeraction.

Ok, just to test this I made a duplicate of one of the vanilla chairs.

I disabled all the entry markers.

Then I attached the following script to it:

Scriptname CS_TEST extends ObjectReference

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
      akActionRef.SnapIntoInteraction(self)
EndEvent

But the compiler says that "SnapIntoInteraction" does not exist.

What?!

Ask yourself what type of object you are calling it from, and what script snapintointeraction is member of.

PS: object as an OOP language object, not the base object (ObjectReference akActionRef).

Edited by DieFeM

Ask yourself what type of object you are calling it from, and what script snapintointeraction is member of.

It is used for actors.

So how would I get this to work with attaching a script on the furniture object?

PS: object as an OOP language object, not the base object (ObjectReference akActionRef).

What?

The thing is the animation.

It is set up to go from the "furniture entry point" to "the character is sitting in that chair".

Unless that is generated "dynamically" by the game, moving that entrypoint would require to also remake the animation.

As far as I know, the entry point and the furniture marker (where the character actually sits on the static chair mesh) are "one thing" and you can't move one without the other.

I guess that is how it works ...

It wouldn't bother me to not have that "character going from standing there to sitting down" - animation if I could somehow change the location of the entry points ...

You might get/be lucky.

In most cases the animations are done using relative positions. Like I did for rotating my levers and such. (this is done by moving the niNode [see edit], instead of the ni/bsTriShape).

Another often used method is by using a "skeleton".

If its a gamebryo animation, you can change just about anything using nifSkope. If its a havok animation, well, thats somewhere between hard and impossible. (unless you have the 3DS Max source, of course)

edit:

well, actually the NiTransformInterpolator holds the base position, but they both need to be set, for accurate previews (without stuff jumping to different positions)

Edited by RoNin1971