Remaking the "furniture entry points"?

So I have placed an NPC into my little test cell, I did the navmeshing and gave the NPC an AI package to sit in that chair.

When I COC into that cell, the NPC is standing on the chair.

I checked the AI package to see if I had actually selected "sit" (and not something else) and yes, it is correct.

But the NPC will just stand ontop of the chair.

73722383-1625952877.png

How can I get this to work so that NPCs can use the "modified" furniture like normal furniture?

Edited by YouDoNotKnowMyName

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try to configure the package so it is started only when the player is in the cell, therefore the cell is loaded.

I suspect that when the NPC tries to sit while the object is unloaded the engine will avoid it (placing it on top instead of sitting), because the NPC tries to sit on a furniture where the engine "thinks" that the NPC would be unable to sit at in normal circumstances. That's a lot of guessing, but testing it is just a simple condition in the package.

I would try to configure the package so it is started only when the player is in the cell, therefore the cell is loaded.

I suspect that when the NPC tries to sit while the object is unloaded the engine will avoid it (placing it on top instead of sitting), because the NPC tries to sit on a furniture where the engine "thinks" that the NPC would be unable to sit at in normal circumstances. That's a lot of guessing, but testing it is just a simple condition in the package.

Ok, makes sense!

I tried the "IsInSameSpace" condition and now the NPC just stands in the middle of the room when I COC in.

There doesn't seem to be a "IsInSameCell" condition ...

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing here....

i am talking about this:

When you activate a chair to sit in it, the player character will move to a certain spot (left, right, behind, in front of the chair) and then start the "sitting down" animation.

There is a specific animation that plays for each "entry point".

I don't think if I could somehow just move the entry points that the animations would "update to that change" by themselves ...

You would probably have to make completeley new animations ...

We are. I think ;)

It's possible to move the entire animation (/the objects), is what i'm saying. Doesn't mean it will always work/fit & only for gamebryo.

Node

- object 1

- object 2

If you have an animation moving object 1 to object 2, this will not change if you move the Node. (and use these coordinates for the interpolator.) As the coordinates used to move the objects, is relative to the position of the Node.

You might need to displace more as one node, but it can be done, although the case in question probably uses havok.

Type *cell* in the condition function filter, it exists, you are probably looking for the wrong function name.

Well, there is "GetInCell" ...

I tried that, but the NPC still just stands in the middle of the room.

Because the "GetInCell" would always be true, because the NPC is in that cell, no matter if the player is there or not ...

Ooohhh!

I get it!

Use the "GetInCell" to check if the player is in the cell, not to check if the NPC is in that cell!

So I tested that, but still, nothing ...

The NPC still just stands there ...

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing here....

i am talking about this:

When you activate a chair to sit in it, the player character will move to a certain spot (left, right, behind, in front of the chair) and then start the "sitting down" animation.

There is a specific animation that plays for each "entry point".

I don't think if I could somehow just move the entry points that the animations would "update to that change" by themselves ...

You would probably have to make completeley new animations ...

We are. I think :wink:

It's possible to move the entire animation (/the objects), is what i'm saying. Doesn't mean it will always work/fit & only for gamebryo.

Node

- object 1

- object 2

If you have an animation moving object 1 to object 2, this will not change if you move the Node. (and use these coordinates for the interpolator.) As the coordinates used to move the objects, is relative to the position of the Node.

You might need to displace more as one node, but it can be done, although the case in question probably uses havok.

I don't want to move the complete animation!

I just want to move the "start point" of the "sitting down" animation.

The "end point" (character sitting in the chair) should stay where it is

So, I just got a vanilla companion into my littel testcell and told them to sit in that chair.

And they said they couldn't get to it.

The chair is standing on a navmeshed area, the backside of the chair is reachable, you can walk to it and activate it.

(The "vanilla" entry points are not reachable)

So it seems like the NPCs still try to use the vanilla furniture entry points when trying to walk to the edited furniture.

Does anybody know how to get this to work?

I have a hell of a lot of custom chairs of "secretaries" typing something, security guards staring at monitors. In general, almost all workplaces are sedentary. For some reason, only the guards always sit in the chairs, no matter how uncomfortable these chairs are. All other jobs behave as if they were random. Sometimes npc can sit on an uncomfortable chair, sometimes they stand on it, occasionally kicking their legs.But I don't see a problem here. You just need to position the chairs properly. Do not place them very close to the tables. That's all. Quitting doing interiors out of such nonsense is ridiculous. Edited by South8028