Trying to understand

MajorCyco

I am a premium member and have been a member of the Nexus community since 2006. I read through the justification for changing the rules for modders but am having a having a hard time understanding it. For 15 years, Nexus has been my source for mods. A one stop for what's new, what others have recommended, and for updates to favorites.

Today Nexus remains my main place to look, but it has now been supplemented with six Discord channels where mod authors have moved their content. Instead of relying on Vortex to update my mods, I now am back to checking manually. Now I am making backup up my mods for fear that other authors will also pull their content. As a paying customer, I have to ask what value am I getting from this. I have no interest in someone curating my mods or in bundles. As Nexus has been such a critical part of my gaming for so long, I am really disappointed. I would offer for consideration allowing mod authors to opt out to ensure that we can maintain the quality of products for your customers. Again, my perspective, is that this move is tailored for novices at the expense of us older, experienced games.

If there is a business case, as a customer I would really love to understand.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one understands why an opt out isn't an option. The case for it made by @BigBizkit makes no sense (that collections are merely lists of mods) and is decidedly mod author unfriendly.

@Zanderat: People do understand. Even if you don't.

@MajorCyco: The main part you have to understand is that you are a single customer and not everything that is done is going to benefit you personally.

Sometimes things will be done that benefit many people other than you. Sometimes, things will even hurt you.

You are a single customer amongst 27 million at the moment. That is the truth of it.

Edited by showler

Guest deleted34304850

I am a premium member and have been a member of the Nexus community since 2006. I read through the justification for changing the rules for modders but am having a having a hard time understanding it. For 15 years, Nexus has been my source for mods. A one stop for what's new, what others have recommended, and for updates to favorites.

Today Nexus remains my main place to look, but it has now been supplemented with six Discord channels where mod authors have moved their content. Instead of relying on Vortex to update my mods, I now am back to checking manually. Now I am making backup up my mods for fear that other authors will also pull their content. As a paying customer, I have to ask what value am I getting from this. I have no interest in someone curating my mods or in bundles. As Nexus has been such a critical part of my gaming for so long, I am really disappointed. I would offer for consideration allowing mod authors to opt out to ensure that we can maintain the quality of products for your customers. Again, my perspective, is that this move is tailored for novices at the expense of us older, experienced games.

If there is a business case, as a customer I would really love to understand.

its out there -- go read the article on the main site.

everything is explained.

none of it makes a lick of sense, but it's explained.

Now I am making backup up my mods for fear that other authors will also pull their content.

This is wise for everyone to do who feel that they don't want to do without their fav mods. Sooner rather than later. Some MAs have already exited and others will likely follow as the deadline approaches.

The Staff keeps saying that they gave us mod authors a "choice". The only choice was either opt-in, or delete all of your mods, or in other words, "its our way or the highway". Not much of a choice.

You don't understand why they are suddenly being so draconian about it? Neither do we.

I personally want to make all of my mods available for free to anyone who wants to use them. But I put a lot of work into those mods and I'm not willing to completely hand control of them over to anyone else. So, unfortunately, it's the highway for me. I have pulled all of my mods from the Nexus, and at this point, even if they suddenly reversed their decision, I'm not sure I would put them back. This is not the way you treat modders, and the fact that they are willing to do this has drastically changed my opinion about the Nexus.

If you are a mod user, download all of the mods you like while you can. I'm not the only one removing my mods from this site.

I personally want to make all of my mods available for free to anyone who wants to use them. But I put a lot of work into those mods and I'm not willing to completely hand control of them over to anyone else

Totally the same for me, I see my creations as art, I want to share it, it has to be on display!

But not to some greedy people who tell me I can't even control my own art anymore.

For me Nexus went from THE place to upload and get mods, to "avoid uploading there at all costs".

The Staff keeps saying that they gave us mod authors a "choice". The only choice was either opt-in, or delete all of your mods, or in other words, "its our way or the highway". Not much of a choice.

You don't understand why they are suddenly being so draconian about it? Neither do we.

I personally want to make all of my mods available for free to anyone who wants to use them. But I put a lot of work into those mods and I'm not willing to completely hand control of them over to anyone else. So, unfortunately, it's the highway for me. I have pulled all of my mods from the Nexus, and at this point, even if they suddenly reversed their decision, I'm not sure I would put them back. This is not the way you treat modders, and the fact that they are willing to do this has drastically changed my opinion about the Nexus.

If you are a mod user, download all of the mods you like while you can. I'm not the only one removing my mods from this site.

I have been doing that. Some are gone, and others are moving to Discord. Discord is fine and it is interactive, but now have a number more channels to monitor. Seems like such a huge step backwards.

Do y'all not plan on uploading on other sites?

I don't.

I have been a member of this community since 2009. I'm not a part of any other modding community. Maybe I'll find another site at some point, but for now my mods are simply no longer available online.