Trying to understand

MajorCyco

It isn't just about morality, but that's one aspect. It's also not legal for it to have been done the way they did it. NONE of the mod authors were consulted, so no legal permission had been given.

This is where I think you and I differ in terms of how we view copyright. I don't view it in a way where when someone breaks it, it's instantly just horrible or like "off with their head" kind of thing lol. Plus, each copyright holder kind of gets to make their own choice in how much they want to uphold their copyright. This is why in so many cases where copyright is broken (technically even drawing fanart is breaking copyright), it doesn't mean the one who broke it gets in trouble. Circumstances matter. And this is also why when one does think it was bad enough, they go to court and then a court decides on the outcome.

I have had people redistribute my work without permission at times, and you know what. I don't bite off their heads for it because in most cases, their intentions are not bad. And unlike you I consider intentions and circumstances because it matters. However, there is a circumstance where I do care. Like when my work from patreon was redistributed because that requires doing it for nefarious reasons. They literally have to become a patron to then leak the work I do.

The fact you don't understand the difference is mind blowing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as mod author/curators are getting paid more relative to their views and downloads, sort of like Youtube, then I don't see this as a problem AT ALL. The Internet Archive Wayback Machine is already a thing. So are anyone's mods truly removable anymore regardless? Sounds like a bunch of hooplah over nothing..respectfully

That's because theft is theft, the difference simply doesn't matter at all.

I UNDERSTAND the difference just fine, I just don't see it as legally justifiable. This isn't a self defense homicide case after all. There is no situation in which someone can claim the piracy of someone else's content was justified. That YOU don't see THIS distinction is frankly very disturbing and I'd be utterly unsurprised at this point if you're on the Nexus payroll.

I UNDERSTAND the difference just fine, I just don't see it as legally justifiable. This isn't a self defense homicide case after all. There is no situation in which someone can claim the piracy of someone else's content was justified. That YOU don't see THIS distinction is frankly very disturbing and I'd be utterly unsurprised at this point if you're on the Nexus payroll.

You are pretty much the Nintendo of modding lol.

Edit: Just in case you didn't get it, Nintendo is also known for going overboard on going after people for copyright reasons. Slowest to adopt the whole youtube let's play thing as an example.

Morrowwind modding history did the same thing when a couple hosting sites announced they were shutting down.

And sure, while it is not technically legal, I would much prefer that SOMEONE kept those files available, rather than having them simply disappear into the mists of time. Several authors have come along and thanked them for doing so, some others have come along and requested their mods be removed, and they were. The rest either don't know, or don't care.....

Fallback, thy name is ad hominem.

An ad hominem is when someone attacks someone's character or something that is related to them rather than their argument. You know, something along the lines of like ... "You don't have any mods, so you don't know what you are talking about and your wrong" or "You are too young to understand". Course it can also be in the form of insults like "Your wrong because your (insert insult)"

I didn't say arthmoor is wrong because they are like Nintendo, in fact, I didn't say they are wrong on anything necessarily ... I just drew a comparison to Nintendo due to their similarities in views on how a violation in copyright is a violation regardless on how serious of a violation it was. Plenty of other companies typically are not that gung ho about it because they understand public relations and image is typically a better thing to be concerned about. It's why Nintendo often gets so much flack on their outdated way of viewing things. Still great game company though.

Morrowwind modding history did the same thing when a couple hosting sites announced they were shutting down.

And sure, while it is not technically legal, I would much prefer that SOMEONE kept those files available, rather than having them simply disappear into the mists of time. Several authors have come along and thanked them for doing so, some others have come along and requested their mods be removed, and they were. The rest either don't know, or don't care.....

Yes but Brabbit thinks that having good intentions means that what NM did was 'excusable' even though, in principle (as axonis pointed out), there was no difference between the ModDrop and NM scenarios.

As long as the optics are good, principle be damned!

I see you've reached the petty insults stage of your line of reasoning. Thanks for the game, but it's over now, and you've declared defeat.

I see you've reached the petty insults stage of your line of reasoning. Thanks for the game, but it's over now, and you've declared defeat.

It's not even an insult XD. It's a comparison. It would literally be no different than me saying ... your views are similar to Nintendo's. You really consider that an insult? Why?

Edit: See from my perspective if I agreed with say Valve (Gaben) on their stance on how piracy is almost always a service problem, and I always explaining that stance to someone and they said ... You are like the Valve of ...

I kinda feel like I would take that as a compliment, not an insult .. right? They may not agree, and their intention of the comparison was them probably pointing out they don't like Valves stance either ... but it's not an insult is it?

Well, either way ... my intention wasn't to insult you, it was more like a joke because I got tired of going in circles on this topic.