Trying to understand

MajorCyco

As long as mod author/curators are getting paid more relative to their views and downloads, sort of like Youtube, then I don't see this as a problem AT ALL. The Internet Archive Wayback Machine is already a thing. So are anyone's mods truly removable anymore regardless? Sounds like a bunch of hooplah over nothing..respectfully

You won't find any mods at wayback machine. They archive web pages but don*t host files

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, either way ... my intention wasn't to insult you, it was more like a joke because I got tired of going in circles on this topic.

Kind of funny when the guy who makes the topic go around in circles gets tired of it himself.

As long as mod author/curators are getting paid more relative to their views and downloads, sort of like Youtube, then I don't see this as a problem AT ALL.

You don't see a problem AT ALL.....OH, I see WHY you don't have a problem, it's because YOU don't have any mods you've uploaded, so YOU have absolutely NOTHING to lose.

Well, that explains why YOU don't have a problem with this whole thing.

Nobody is "getting paid more", it's a "Hope" of the Nexus that modders "might" make more DP, which can be traded in at 10,000 DP, for 10 US Dollars.

Also, where does it say that Mod Curators would get any money whatsoever?

The way they're currently making money/exploitng things is by making a patreon page for donations so they can remain "Inspired" to slap together a bunch of random mods without having to actually make any mods.

Meaning, that Mod List "Curators" are making more money than the modders who actually made the mods.

But who cares huh? As long as you get your mods and us mod authors stop making a big hooplah over "Nothing" right?

I'm mostly just sitting back and munching on popcorn at this point.

the idea with the popcorn is great. and lets celebrate the last day of the 5 week ultimatum to leave. what a great day for the lazy nexusmods mod collection fan boys and supporters.

why using a more sophisticated and mod author friendly system if you can have the simple nexusmods solution from now on ?

spread all the work of mod authors wherever you want, make money with it or do whatever you want. not any mod author at all can stop you from now on without running to court. all mod authors, if they want or not, most of them never asked, will support you from now on with all their hosted mods till the end of this plattform. they will be unable to control mods and distribution with basic functions and within their rights as an owner - but who cares?

celebrate nexusmods, the vision and nexusmods new mod collections system! sounds like a weird fo4 child of atom quest ? no this is reality! :wink:

I'm mostly just sitting back and munching on popcorn at this point.

the idea with the popcorn is great. and lets celebrate the last day of the 5 week ultimatum to leave. what a great day for the lazy nexusmods mod collection fan boys and supporters.

why using a more sophisticated and mod author friendly system if you can have the simple nexusmods solution from now on ?

spread all the work of mod authors wherever you want, make money with it or do whatever you want. not any mod author at all can stop you from now on without running to court. all mod authors, if they want or not, most of them never asked, will support you from now on with all their hosted mods till the end of this plattform. they will be unable to control mods and distribution with basic functions and within their rights as an owner - but who cares?

celebrate nexusmods, the vision and nexusmods new mod collections system! sounds like a weird fo4 child of atom quest ? no this is reality! :wink:

Here's to you, Nexus Mods

tenor.gif?itemid=5071053

I am a mod user. I am a mod author. As a mod author, hating mod users would be evidence of me having a mental condition. Since I am reasonably sane at age 74, you can safely assume I do not hate myself or any other mod user. And I am not alone. Being both a mod user and mod author is true for virtually every mod author on Nexus Mods. Consequently, an author does not remove his mods because he hates users. Like me, there are a few users an author may hate, but that list is very short when compared to the thousands of users who download our mods.

I have removed my mods. I find the behavior or Robin Scott and Nexus Mods reprehensible. Robin has taken my Intellectual Property, and he is retaining it against my wishes. A friend of mine summed it up in an editorial comment in PCMagazine:

"The characterization of the anger of authors being simply about their inability to delete their mods is misleading. A good number of authors are angry because the changes to the ToS and Software which allowed Nexus Mods to archive their Intellectual Property were done in secret. Authors were not informed of the changes until they were a fait accompli.

"Robin Scott, the owner of Nexus Mods, claims that he has a contract with mod authors via his ToS, and his business can no longer tolerate authors deleting their content. What Robin does not tell you is that prior to this change, the way mod authors exited their contract with Nexus was by deleting their content. With this change, Robin has trapped mod authors content on his site and effectively taken ownership of the mod authors Intellectual Property. He has offered no easy route out of the contract\ and no course for remediation other than going, hat in hand, to Robin and pleading for his blessing".

I would add that the removal of the ability of authors to delete their Intellectual Property was also implemented in secret. We were not told about this until well after Robin began archiving our Mods.

I would also like to add that the phrase "If you don't like the way things are, take your mods and leave" was heard often in the MA forums. Disgruntled Authors were encouraged to delete their mods and go away. This path to the exit has now been barred to Authors. We can leave, but we cannot take our mods with us.

So, it is not "Us vs Them". It Mod Authors' Rights Vs Robin Scott and Nexus Mods.

as both a mod author (and game developer) and mod user this above is the literal key to the entire discourse. i have been with nexus for a long frelling time (nearly 15 years) and authored mods for multiple games, i even championed nexus as "the ideal modding community with respect for both authors and users". this is something i can no longer do, i did not remove my mods from nexus for personal reasons however i will not be uploading any more mods to the nexus which is a decision i made when they started pushing vortex as better than other managers (this is simply untrue), increased ad placement on pages, and started rumbling about database changes (yea that wasnt a bad omen or anything).

the simple fact is that collections are a decent idea however nexus is implementing it in a horrible way and doing so with only a very very limited amount of actual community input (they even admit they only consulted with a handful of mod authors in announcement post). they literally took the community out of The Modding Community instead of acting like proper leaders in said community.

in the end its pretty obvious that nexus wants total control and if you have any view point that counters or even questions that then they pop off with "well we arent on the same page" while THEY LITERALLY CLOSE THE BOOK ON YOU! this mentality has been proven to be the case by their own admins and the site owner who only pop onto threads now to literally post boilerplate responses instead of ENGAGING THE COMMUNITY TO TRY TO GET ON THE SAME PAGE! Nexus assertions are without a doubt empty and they have absolutely no intention of listening to anyone.

sadly their inability to act like the leaders they want to be (and they used to be) has already caused a large number of FRAMEWORK mods to be removed which literally makes HUNDREDS of other mods no longer function once an update to the main executable or any major changes to mods to add function occurs. frankly Nexus have cut their noses off to spite their face then yelled at everyone who called them out on it.

if anyone wants my mods they will be on Loverslab where the community is far more close knit, far more considerate, and where there are far fewer restrictions and mod authors have total control. (i am also migrating my mods to MEGASYNC, Dropbox, and GDrive clouds so they will always have a home THAT I, THE AUTHOR, CONTROLS.

(side note: its very likely Nexus will have to capitulate and change their approach to collections and databases if they hope to actually remain a part of the modding community. modders had communities before the nexus and we will continue to have a community after the nexus as well.)

I kind of just blew my own mind by realizing how flimsy mod ownership actually is. Your ownership of a mod is basically only as good as the contents within it. In other words, take my mod for example, Acting Pays for The Sims 4. There isn't anything in it that I can claim ownership of outside of the very specific changes I made to the tuning files for the game. So anyone could recreate the mod and as long as it's not a 1 to 1 copy, I couldn't actually do anything about that (cause it's not like I can own the idea of the mod). Even if a company like BGS explicitly states you have ownership of your mod, if there isn't anything content wise that is original, any mod can be recreated legally ... which makes "ownership" of it kinda crap. The only parts that would be safe is like art assets, stories, etc. But even then that depends too. Like if you modeled a sword that is based off of a real life sword or from something else you don't own, as long as the new mod author remodels it themselves, it's fine.

I just started to think about this because I am under the assumption there will be some mod authors who stay here who likely will take up the mantle of mods that were removed by creating their own version of it. But it's interesting to think about because it means removing your mods only removes the mod author (you) from the equation ... not the mod itself. The mod is only temporarily lost but can just be recreated essentially ... as long as someone is willing to do so ... o.o

Or am I wrong about this and am missing something?