Need help for patch...

DelugesNeuron

Hi,

I just started a new playthrough on pc for FNV. I had played before, but on console. I have some experience modding Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE; but modding FNV is new- this is standalone FNV, not TTW.

I've been using the Fallout New Vegas Cheat Terminal Redux by gir489, mostly for the personal storage feature since I'm a hoarder. Recently installed some UI mods I had seen in videos, which made the Hud, etc... look amazing, but I found that when using Darnified, I have to change to the alternate fonts, which is not an issue for the UI mods, they look great.

But apparently in game terminals always display text in the default FNV font. When I use the Darnified interface, I can't access my personal storage containers, as the Cheat Terminal window 'looks' completely blank- text is there, just unreadable.

I can use Darnified in my saved game until I need to access a container, then exit the game, and switch the Ui back to the default fonts, swap items, but Darnified looks a lot messier with the default font, and it's a convoluted workaround.

I want to make a patch to make these two mods work together, I assume by changing the font settings for game terminals to the Darnified fonts, but I don't know where in Geck or the game ini settings, to go to find the font settings for game terminals.

Thanks!

The fonts are set in the FalloutPrefs.ini file in the [fontS] section. You need to figure out which one applies to the terminal font and set it back to the vanilla value.

Here is mine with vanilla settings since I am not using DarnUI:

[Fonts]
sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt

Thanks for the response.

Yes, those are the default fonts- all the terminals in the vanilla game, as well as the Cheat terminal mod, use one of those, and with those in my ini settings, I can read the cheat terminal text clearly and move items back and forth between containers. But with those font settings, Darnified looks terrible- they defeat the whole point of Darnified, to give a cleaner look to Hud elements and maximize screen space, which Darnified does by changing those default fonts to its own font system and reorganizing Hud elements.

When I change the ini to the Darnified fonts, Darnified UI looks great, the Hud looks great, and I've had no other problems, but terminals become unreadable, because they are set to the default fonts. I could understand if the text looked blurry or punctuation marks were strange or the line breaks were off, but I would have still expected some kind of white text on the green terminal screen background.

Instead, If I change the fonts to the Darnified ones, I can no longer read terminal text- terminals just appear as a blank screen. The text is there, and can even be clicked on, but isn't visible for some reason. I'm not sure if the text is displaying the same color as the screen background, or why it doesn't show up. What I was hoping for, since altering fonts back and forth every time I want to use a terminal is cumbersome, was a way to tweak text display on terminals so that the Darnified fonts actually show on the terminal screens- again the text is there, if you remember the menu list sequence you can still click on the options- it just can't actually be seen.

What I'm after may be impossible, since the font files appear to be universal and effect everything in game- terminals, menus, etc..., there doesn't seem to be a way to 'force' terminals to actually display the Darnified font text in the same way that Darnified displays it in Hud menus. The Darnified fonts are the default ones from the Darnified UI mod:

sFontFile_1=Textures\\Fonts\\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\\Fonts\\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\\Fonts\\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\\Fonts\\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\\Fonts\\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\\Fonts\\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\\Fonts\\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\\Fonts\\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\\Fonts\\NVFont_Test.fnt
I think all of these menus are actually stored as xml files, and I suppose could be manually edited, but I was hoping for something more simple.
There are other UI and Hud mods, and I can try those, and I'm not sure whether Darnified is even still being maintained, but I really enjoyed Darnified on Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and hate to lose it for FNV, but being unable to use or hack terminals in the game without saving and tinkering with ini settings every time is ridiculous.
It may also be possible that I screwed up the Darnified UI mod install in some way. It's been around a long time, and as many people as have used it over the years, I can't believe no one else noticed that it renders terminals unreadable, so it may be a user stupidity issue. I will try to reinstall. I used the version from the TTW download site; I saw somewhere that it was more recent than the one on Nexus. If the problem gets resolved, I will update my post in case anyone else runs into this issue later.
Thanks again!

This maybe your problem: I used the version from the TTW download site It was made to work with FNV and FO3 along with TTW.

Just because there is an older version of DUI, doesn't mean it won't work on an older game.

Have you see this: DarnifiedUI Configuration at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community?

Configures the fonts for DarNUI.

Edited by M48A5

If M48A5's comment wasn't what you needed, comment out one and put the vanilla one in place until you figure out which one fixes the font in the game you don't like:

Example

; semicolon makes this a comment  sFontFile_6=Textures\\Fonts\\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, the Darnified Config tool is helpful in setting up Darnified- has a script that allows you to copy the Darnified fonts I listed earlier automatically , either into an ini tweak file to use with Darnified, or Apply them directly. I tried reinstalling Darnified, including using the config tool, but the issue still persists. The UI and Hud use the new fonts without a problem, all the game menus I've tested, the pip boy inventory, even the MCM, all use them, and they all look wonderful. But using any in-game terminal just shows a blank looking terminal screen with the default green glow background, and no readable text at all, even though using the mouse will pick up the menu lists from the terminal, and allow them to be selected, they just don't show visibly- either the font size is somehow so small or large that it's not visible, or perhaps the font color is the same green as the background; I'm just not sure.

If it were only a matter of the Cheat terminal mod, I could just revert to vanilla fonts, extract my items from the portable containers, go back to the Darnified fonts, and not use the Cheat terminal mod anymore. But terminal hacking, not to mention being able to read terminals, use them to unlock some doors, etc.. is such a frequent occurance in the game that it remains a problem.

As much as I like the appearance and clean look of the UI, if it renders a good chunk of the game unplayable, it isn't worth the trouble. I just can't understand why only terminal menu text is affected, and other menus seem to adjust to the Darnified fonts without a problem.

Thanks,

Interesting. That fixed the issue. May have created another one for later; I haven't tested all the various in game menus yet, but for now everything is resolved. Thanks!

For anyone else who encounters this, there are a couple of mods I've seen with font alternatives to use with Darnified; I haven't used any of those, but if using the Darnified default fonts, out of the vanilla games default fonts, #s 3, 5, 8 and 9 are the same between Vanilla and Darnified and should never cause any kind of conflict.

Changing the Default Darnified fonts #4 or 6 only back to the Vanilla game ones will allow terminal text to be read properly, but appear to be used in game start main menu, MCM and some Hud elements. The overall Darnified 'look' is definitely spoiled, and text looks huge on wide screen or higher resolution monitors.

Changing font #1 allows for terminals to be read properly, and Hud/ main menu and general 'look' of Darnified are ok, but pip boy menus revert to vanilla fonts, making the text on them seem really large if you're used to the Darnified pip boy menus.

But reverting either font #2 or #7 back to Vanilla gets terminal displays back to normal, keeps the on screen/ Hud Darnified elements in place and the pip boy Darnified menus. #7 seems to make the main menu and possibly the MCM (can't remember if I tested MCM for that one) a bit larger and clunkier looking than #2.

But changing just Darnified default font #2 from Darnified FranKlein Bold 16 pt back to the Vanilla game's Monofonto Large, and leaving all other fonts according to Darnified default ones doesn't change any other Darnified menus/ Hud elements or MCM that I've tested in game so far, keeping the Darnified overall appearance, but does allow terminal displays to look just as they do in Vanilla game.

I'll continue using that change and update if I encounter any further issues, but for now all is well.

Thanks again for the assistance!

I strongly believe your problem is trying to use a TTW designed UI for Fallout New Vegas. You need to use the one designed for New Vegas, since the font edit for the games go to different places. As GamerRick states, you edit FalloutPrefs.ini for Fallout: New Vegas and for Fallout3 they go in Fallout.ini. Two different places for two different games.

M48A5,

Thanks for the response. I've been editing the Prefs.ini so far, and making sure that the Custom.ini doesn't have anything conflicting (I use MO2, so separate ini files for each profile). After changing font #2, all seems well- all the pip boy menus seem correct, Darnified looks great, Main menu, hud menus and MCM menus are normal per Darnified and terminal type, whether hacking or just reading is clear and readable as always in Vanilla. Conversation, level up and container menus work fine, haven't tested either the character generation menu (would have to start a new character to test), and haven't tested the barter menu yet, but otherwise all is well.

You probably have a point about TTW versus Standalone FNV, which may be why this problem didn't occur more frequently back when the game was first released.

BTW, unless I missed it, the config and various other Darnified related mods are still available on Nexus, but the actual Darnified UI itself seems only to be available on TTW, unless I just missed it on the Nexus- I looked for it earlier when I deleted and reinstalled it, and could only find the TTW download for the actual UI mod.

Thank you for your help,