# of mods active and stability

goku4125

how many # mods before a game is run stable?

and also can anyone list a few mods that are top crucial to have?

this is my 4th time wiping skyrim and ya the past ones i had crashed exponentially, using BASH and BOSS etc and other optimizers, i was wondering what top 20-50 essential mods to have?

please list, i'd having to crash the game and not enjoy the game

ps. please don't troll or make any smartmouth comments, we are all here to help each other out

thanks

You need to get it stable first then start entering mods later.

I had one hell of a time getting the actual game running, CTD at intro etc before I could even think about mods.

Start with deleting the game saves & settings folders etc first, usually in your boot drive.

In your User folder, goto the folder named AppData (will need to see hidden folders to even see this), then Local, you will see a folder Skyrim,

Then goto your My Documents folder, then My Games folder, and yet another Skyrim folder.

I think you know what todo with the contents,,,,lol.

Then delete the game itself, check all is gone then reinstall to your desired location, the other folders & info will be recreated automatically when needed.

Install only what is needed ie any dlc`s, do not run game yet though, get Nexus Mod Manager, TES5Edit, BOSS & Wyre Bash, and install all.

Run Boss and follow any instructions given, you will have to use TES5Edit & Wyre Bash to sort out the files etc, there's plenty of helpful vid`s online, (check out gophers vids, really easy to follow & understand).

Lastly start off with lower graphics setting, especially shadow details, once you can run the game fairly stably, then start upping the settings before introducing mods to ensure all is good.

When using mods, do not forget to use Boss etc to ensure all is good, also read the info for each mod you want to use, not all are compatible, some need additional files or settings.

I would start with applying patch`s & updates first though checking as I go just to make sure, but the game itself is buggy no matter what, it will randomly crash for no apparent reason, it will sulk if anything else is doing stuff in the background,,,,lol

Hope this helps

Simon

this is my 4th time wiping skyrim and ya the past ones i had crashed exponentially, using BASH and BOSS etc and other optimizers, i was wondering what top 20-50 essential mods to have?

There is a maximum cap to the number of plugins that will be loaded (255 + base game esm), but the 'number' of plugins you load has no impact on the stability of the game. Stability is determined by countless factors and will have more to do with the 'scope' of changes made by a mod. You can have many mods that make minor change and the game will be more stable then running one badly made mod with error records and poorly written scripts.

what you guys think of rcrn?

You need to get it stable first then start entering mods later.

I had one hell of a time getting the actual game running, CTD at intro etc before I could even think about mods.

Start with deleting the game saves & settings folders etc first, usually in your boot drive.

In your User folder, goto the folder named AppData (will need to see hidden folders to even see this), then Local, you will see a folder Skyrim,

Then goto your My Documents folder, then My Games folder, and yet another Skyrim folder.

I think you know what todo with the contents,,,,lol.

Then delete the game itself, check all is gone then reinstall to your desired location, the other folders & info will be recreated automatically when needed.

Install only what is needed ie any dlc`s, do not run game yet though, get Nexus Mod Manager, TES5Edit, BOSS & Wyre Bash, and install all.

Run Boss and follow any instructions given, you will have to use TES5Edit & Wyre Bash to sort out the files etc, there's plenty of helpful vid`s online, (check out gophers vids, really easy to follow & understand).

Lastly start off with lower graphics setting, especially shadow details, once you can run the game fairly stably, then start upping the settings before introducing mods to ensure all is good.

When using mods, do not forget to use Boss etc to ensure all is good, also read the info for each mod you want to use, not all are compatible, some need additional files or settings.

I would start with applying patch`s & updates first though checking as I go just to make sure, but the game itself is buggy no matter what, it will randomly crash for no apparent reason, it will sulk if anything else is doing stuff in the background,,,,lol

Hope this helps

Simon

There is a maximum cap to the number of plugins that will be loaded (255 + base game esm), but the 'number' of plugins you load has no impact on the stability of the game. Stability is determined by countless factors and will have more to do with the 'scope' of changes made by a mod. You can have many mods that make minor change and the game will be more stable then running one badly made mod with error records and poorly written scripts.

Sorry I have no idea about RCRN, not tried it myself yet, as I only have 1gb of video ram am cautious of any visual upgrades - but from the screen shots it looks very nice. May have to give it a go soon,,,,,,,lol

I am running WATER (get the odd missing water texture though, don't really know if its the mod though yet) which improves the look in my op.

The official Hi-Res texture packs, all DLC`s & all associated unofficial patch`s, running the game at ultra video settings but with lowered shadow settings fairly good & steady so far, but making tweaks here & there trying to get more stable all the time.

Simon

you can savely use RCRN with 1GB of VRAM :P It does not have a big effect on VRAM usage at all... Most "Visual" (as in lighting/effect) mods have close to zero impact on VRAM usage. Texture mods on the other hand eat your VRAM for breakfast.

ENB does eat away some VRAM... I run ENB on it's highest quality setting with everything turn on it's High/Ultra setting in ENB, and it takes less than 100MB VRAM (around 70MB last time I checked) so... nothing to worry about really.

ENB/RCRN/SweetFX mostly rely on your raw processing speeds, CPU and GPU, as they are all using software rendering instead of hardware. And that causes a severe FPS drop. The single GFX card that has enough power to run a heavy modded (textured) game & ENB+SweetFX tuned all the way up and reaches 60 FPS in outside world and/or heavy modded city has not yet been released to the public.

RCRN was my favourite lighting/weather mod for a long time. No FPS drop, great colours.

Problem in RCRN is the contrast - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high..... WAY. Tried it twice, didnt like it. Makes no sense that anything that has the slightest bit of shadow is very very dark. But yea, some people seem to like it that way (like Sharpshooter's ENB - same thing... at least Sharpshooter's is advertised as doing that (Crysis look), RCRN is advertised as being "Realistic", which it is definitely not)

I consider RCRN colours more realistic then 90% ENBs and MUCH more realistic then vanilla. If shadows were very dark for you, you had some settings screwed up. Since they were perfect for me.

RCRN screenshot: http://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/1875-5-1353046727.jpg

ENB/RCRN/SweetFX mostly rely on your raw processing speeds, CPU and GPU, as they are all using software rendering instead of hardware. And that causes a severe FPS drop. The single GFX card that has enough power to run a heavy modded (textured) game & ENB+SweetFX tuned all the way up and reaches 60 FPS in outside world and/or heavy modded city has not yet been released to the public.

Actually I had 60 FPS outdoors with my GTX680, 9 Gb of 2-4k textures and ENB

Edited by mindw0rk2