Help to change Skyrim Audio to English.

MattGray10

Hello, i'm a new member i joined because i found the right Strings files to change my Skyrim in-game language from French to English and it works perfectly, but the Audio is stll in french, so i was wondering if anyone got some sort of solution for this, i'm not using steam and my copy is downloaded.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips (n_n).

Language is an issue for me too. Here's the deal, I am British, I live in Spain, in the mountains and my internet connection is an un-funny joke! This is going through my mobile phone (which occasionally gets a 3G signal!)

Now in the hope of achieving a more stable installation I would like to trek into the city - which will take all day - an buy the Legendary game which will be in Spanish. Plugging my elderly and underpowered games machine into my pitiful excuse for a connection is possible for the purposes of regestering the game But ! downloads are out of the question. Anything over a couple of Meg will FAIL!

My existing game componants that I carefully backed up to separate drives are becoming corrupted. Dragonborn no longer installs and Dawnguard now seems to be having issues. I got those when I was last working back in the UK but a bad system crash seems to have made a mess of them.

So basically I can buy a game in a foregn language, activate it on steam and that's it. Any updates, downloads or language packs would be astronomically expensive and I'd probably have the connection drop out half way through anyway.

Now I love Skyrim, but it rather looks as if my geographical location, in a country not blessed with a high standard of information tech outside the cities, pretty well means I cannot play the game. unless I move house (or Bethesda realises we dont all live in towns with broadband). And I dont think I love skyrim that much -

So any advice? And before any of the Thalmor Justiciars here on Nexus chip in with snotty comments about piracy, If I was in a position to download a illeagal copy I wouldn't need to! would I?

[edit] Oh yea, and anyone care to contemplate how many millions of people there are around the world in my position? In Africa, South America and the 'technolagy challanged' parts of the planet. . . Skyrim for the Nords, or just Skyrim for the rich. . .

Edited by frank lee

You cannot install the game without steam, so you must have an internet connection that is able to draw ~5GB of data (without DLCs) or about ~8GB of data (with DLCs) from internet, or you simply cannot play this game.

There is no way around that the core game files are not included on the installation DVD they must be downloaded after registration on Steam.

And yea, sure, you aren't alone. But really. This is the only way. This whole "online only" thing is done to counter piracy, which in all honesty is the fault of the people doing piracy in the first place. So if you download illegal software you have only yourself to blame for companies protecting their assets with meassures like Steam or other online validation technologies. Some (actually quite a lot) of games cannot even be played offline anymore as the whole game itself runs on a server and you only install a client to connect to the server (eg. Diablo 3). So when that company decides the game is over and takes the server offline - you just cannot play the game at all anymore. You simply purchase a license to play on the server, and you dont actually buy the game.

So I buy the Legendary game in english from Amazon with that oh so atractive wait of up to two weeks here. Then hump my whole PC to a friends house down in a town. Intialize and download all the stuff then hump the machine back to my village, tell it to work 'off-line' and hope - against all of the experiences to date - that Bethesda have actually done what they said they will do and the game works as advertised. . .

Nice. . .

But wait a minute, if you are downloading all the core and DLCs, then what is the God Damned point of the Legendary Edition? Forgive my foolish naivete here, but I rather thought someone had put some effort into integrating the skeevers nest of DLCs, patches and updates to make a complete package that worked better. If that is not the case then people may be forgiven for thinking that the Legendary Ed. was the same sad mess in an expensive new box!

1....But wait a minute, if you are downloading all the core and DLCs, then what is the God Damned point of the Legendary Edition? Forgive my foolish naivete here, but 2...I rather thought someone had put some effort into integrating the skeevers nest of DLCs, patches and updates to make a complete package that worked better. If that is not the case then people may be forgiven for thinking that the Legendary Ed. was the same sad mess in an expensive new box!

1. Discount offer in the hope to sell a few more copies

2. They cannot do that because otherwise mods will not work that require the separate DLC's to be available, and besides that - why would they do that? Extra work for nothing...

1....But wait a minute, if you are downloading all the core and DLCs, then what is the God Damned point of the Legendary Edition? Forgive my foolish naivete here, but 2...I rather thought someone had put some effort into integrating the skeevers nest of DLCs, patches and updates to make a complete package that worked better. If that is not the case then people may be forgiven for thinking that the Legendary Ed. was the same sad mess in an expensive new box!

1. Discount offer in the hope to sell a few more copies

2. They cannot do that because otherwise mods will not work that require the separate DLC's to be available, and besides that - why would they do that? Extra work for nothing...

So we have your $450 million* now sod off? You see I cannot think of this as 'Extra work for nothing...' it is work they are obliged to, at least try to carry out, but they (or the toxic vermin that write their Eula) have decided they can get away with not doing.

Nice. . . So I'll just struggle on trying to make my messed up installation limp along then and maybe one day I can get a character past level 60 before the whole game crashes and burns and I need to start over. I'll be looking to the mod community for help because Bethesda having gotten our money have washed their hands of the deal. And I'll resign myself to spending more time learning to use Tes5edit and BOSS than I do actually playing the game.

All the while remembering the pirates are to really blame for this, because lets face it $450 million dollars is barely enough to scrape by on, is it. . .

*www.gamepolitics.com

Edited by frank lee

@Frank: Like many people you are confusing income with profit - when the expenses are removed it becomes a lot less. Then when they pay the dividends demanded by stockholders they have even less left. That less is what they use to run the company and pay their workers until the next successful game. Most of the income from a successful game comes in the first few weeks. The technical term for all of this is cash flow. And not even a lot of businessmen really understand it. But to make it oversimplified, you must keep more money coming in than you have going out to stay in business. If a company is not bringing in cash and paying their stockholders a reasonable profit (you can argue what a reasonable profit is) then they soon go out of business.

Dont forget a 2 year development cycle and all the software used to make the game, and the people, besides distribution costs and whatnot costs then 450m is suddenly reduced to far less. But besides that point... They are not obliged to do anything that breaks the game - you add all DLCs and main game into 1 file, you dont solve any problems by doing that, and you only create problems with Steam workshop mods and other mods. They just wont do that and you could count on a zillion complains from everyone buying that version about not being able to run ANY mod if the files would have been combined.

In all fairness you are partially right about the whole washing your hands part, there is absolutely NO indication on the box in which the game is sold that the media inside does not contain the whole game, actually it does not contain anything really, and a fast (stable) internet connection is required to register and download all the content and update the game to the latest version. Under requirements there is nothing that says you need internet (at least not on EU copies).

This forum however will not get you any help in solving that part, you need to knock on Bethesda's door. What you say... get internet connection, even if only for a short period to download everything then disconnect. Make backups of ALL the files downloaded (just backup the whole Skyrim folder and your original un-modified ini files) will solve it for you.

You can download a pirated version:

i'm not using steam and my copy is downloaded.

But you cannot use the legal version?! Or what does that sentense imply?

You are not going to sort your problems using some torrent file. And I would suggest to stop asking for help resolving issues with it on this forum because you get instantly banned for live admitting to piracy here. So. Get your legal copy going - then when you need help, come back here. You need to resolve this with Bethesda, not Nexus.

I hear you bben46, and if we are discussing profit I'll suggest there is little to be found in continuing this discussion. Prod80's contribution have filled me in -as well as dashed any hopes I had- about the Legendary Edition. And of getting a stable game that will run the hundreds of mods that others here appear to be able to do without moving from my beutiful mountain village.

I was mulling over buying a new high end game machine, pretty much to run Skyrim with some of the fancy visual mods as opposed to the 'plot' mods I normally try to run. But there isn't much point is there, unless Spain's telecom compainies get their act together and I aquire effective broadband Skyrim is going to resemble a troll's cave on any machine or system I try to run it. So pardon me, y'all, for a little bitterness here but I'm not short of money on this scale, I can afford to go and buy a pretty nice machine, I can afford to wander into a store and buy the latest version of Skyrim but unless I move to Madrid or back to the UK It wouldn't do me any good. . . There seems to be a hole in capitalism, and I'm in it.

[Edit] "get internet connection, even if only for a short period to download everything then disconnect. Make backups of ALL the files downloaded"

Backups get corrupted, recomend writing them to a DVD which has to be pysically damaged to fail. . . No Blue-Ray writer for vast files? Tough luck then!!!

Edited by frank lee