Best Enchantment for a Crossbow?

MidbossVyers

What is the best enchantment for a fully enhanced Dwarven crossbow? Fire damage is the obvious choice, if you are fighting vampires, but that appears to become redundant once you get Auriel's Bow? How about magicka damage? It can be used by witch hunters, and many vampires use spells, and vampiric drain costs magicka. What else? Obviously, this is only for vanilla enchantments, so don't suggest something like "extract Wuuthrad's enchantment" or something like that.

Hmm. Well, fire damage is a good choice. However, there are better ones. Now, I'm just going to assume that you have the Extra Effect Perk. If so I'd do Fire and Magicka Damage(or Absorb Magicka may be better, however it has less charges). Another one you could go with is Paralyze(at least the chance for it, it is a vanilla enchantment). Now, when you said Vanilla Enchantments did you mean JUST the vanilla game or do you have the DLC's like Dragonborn and Dawnguard? If so, I'd suggest the Chaos Damage enchantment from the Dragonborn DLC which you can get by disenchanting the Champion's Cudgel. Other than that, it's really playing tot he Vampires weaknesses if you're character is a strict vampire hunter. Vampires have at least a 30% weakness to fire, and they mostly cast spells like Reanimate, Thunderbolt/Ice Spke, and Vampiric Drain. So Magicka Damage and Fire would be the obvious ones. And also, I wouldn't recommend using Auriel's Bow unless you use the "Reduce Destruction SPells by 100%" enchantments(25% each). That way, all your weapon charges like Fire, Magicka, Health Absorb, Frost, Shock, Chaos, etc. will not deplete no matter what. But if you don't do that, than Auriel's Bow depletes very quickly. Most likely when you're done with one vampire lair, it will need to be recharged. Anyway, I hope I helped and have fun hunting vampires.

Well, my vampire hunter is not a mage (therefore, no Extra Effects, either), so damage magicka might be more economic than absorb magicka. Also, what's the chance of actually getting a paralyze enchantment? I would assume it is rarer than damage magicka.

Edited by MidbossVyers

Well, I'm just going to assume you're on PC. If you don't mind cheating, you can easily search up a sword/dagger/bow etc. with a paralyze enchantment and add it via command console. If you're not into that, you'll just have to get lucky in loot. Another quest that is underrated is, if you go to Ivarstead, seek out "Temba Wide Arms" and collect 10 bear pelts for her. She'll give you an enchanted weapon, usually with a rare enchantment. Also, if you want to play the Daedra/Vampire hunter character, you could always find a weapon with the "Banish" enchantment that sends Daedra back to Oblivion. However, keep in mind that it is VERY soul gem hungry and in my opinion not worth the enchanting with, although it is the enchantment with the highest value in the vanilla game, and possibly with all DLC's(i.e Iron Daggers can be worth over 2k with it).

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention that you can enchant your CB with Shock damage. It'd be useful against vamps because it'd do damage to them, AND damage their magicka at the same time. So you could go with fire/shock, or if you have the Dragonborn DLC Chaos Damage and Paralyze. Up to you really, but those seem to be the best choices without mods.

• 10 months later...

If you have the elemental perks in enchanting and Dragonborn DLC there is the chaos enchantment in an abandoned fort on Solsthiem, does hundreds of dmage because it has a 50% chance to do fire, frost ,or shock damage making all the bonuses from the perks stack on each other. Now go one hit Alduin!

• 2 years later...