Immersive NPC Resurrections

robedias27

Would it be difficult to make a mod that adds consequences for accidentally killing an NPC. I was adventuring south of Riverwood the other day and I saw a dragon behind me. I ignored it and went about my business. The dragon followed me into town and through it all, Gerdus (I think that's her name...the woodcutter's wife) was killed. I'd like for there to be an NPC that could be summoned somehow...through courier or something. Or at a temple or mage guild...where you can request that NPC so-and-so could be revived. I think it might add a level of immersion to the game that's not presently there. I know you can use console commands to res. characters...but it could be more immersive.

Hmmm. I'm not sure about the quest line to get an NPC resurrected but it would be simple enough to cast resurrect on an NPC via a script. It could be a master level restoration skill which would work.

Otherwise if that's not enough I could see it requiring a magical reagent that would be consumed in the spell casting process.

I think I might actually look at coming up with a spell perhaps before the 4th.

I love that idea. I hate using consoles for anything, but I have been known to miracle revive some peeps that have left us. I want a consequence, such as a daedra heart and a filled grand soul gem. Could also make it fun. like depending on your conjuration (or restoration) level, it could accidently bring the person back as a zombie or draugr. (percent chance depending on level. Master would have almost no chance, whereas someone whom has never cast a spell...pretty significant concern).

Issue may arise when the person disappears and their remains are put into the hall of the dead...so obviously a time limit is needed before death is irreversible (cell cleanup is what, 3 days?).

Could even do a balancing act...make one NPC alive, and randomly a named NPC somewhere is marked as dead...stealing lifeforce (obviously a non-critical person).

So i've been experimenting a bit trying to get a resurrect spell into the game.

So far I have the spell scripted, and present in the game. the problem I'm encountering at the moment is getting the script to apply to a dead target. I put a debug messagebox into the script which would pop up when the resurrect effect applies. it comes up so long as the target is alive, so that's why I assume it isn't running on the dead. I'll keep playing with it and see if i can get it to apply.

Below is a sample of what I'm currently working with, its by no means special and just quick and dry.

Scriptname z2013mjhNPCResurrectionScript extends activemagiceffect  
Event OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)
Debug.MessageBox("The magic shocks the target back to life.")
akTarget.Resurrect()
EndEvent

*Edited*

Alright, I managed to get the script applying a resurrect to recently dead targets. I used a blend of restoration meets shock effects for the spell so assumed that its like a magical defibrillator, so i made it so if a living target gets hit they die as a caveat.

I am noticing that the npc's resurrected by the spell/script are coming back hostile

whereas the console command resurrect doesn't make them hostile if they weren't already.

So I'm working on fixing that.

Edited by SeraphimKensai

Alright. I finished my resurrection mod.

Its not as requested with the quest stuff, it was merely for me to learn how to actually create a resurrection spell, so sorry if its not exactly what you're looking for.

the spell as is now either will revive the dead (so long as they are humanoid or animal and didn't start the game in a dead state), if cast on a living target (humanoid or animal) it kills them instantly. cast again and it resurrects them. no hostility, unless they are supposed to be hostile.

if you'd like a copy of it feel free to message me your email address and i'll send it to you seeing as the forums don't let me attach .esp files

Oh that's cool. Someone once told me all that would attach was pictures and such. I had no idea zip files worked so i never tried them. But here it is. As I said it was more about figuring out how to get the effect working as opposed to the flavoring.

Maybe at some point I'll revisit it to add more stuff into the script as far as reagent requirements and such, but for now its working at least from my testing.

How do i get this to work?

if your referring to my mod, you'd unzip the .esp file and save it in your Skyrim's Data folder. the .pex file would then go in the folder called Scripts which is located in the Data folder.

You'd then boot up skyrim as normal, choose data and should see my mod. you'd check it to enable it and play. If i recall correctly the Spell Tome is for sell by Acadia in Whiterun. Otherwise you could just open the console and type Help Resurrect and find the ID for the spell that way to give yourself the spell via player.addspell XXXXXXXX (where the X's represent the spell's ID).